Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2013 7:49:45 PM EDT
My wife and I are getting the itch to do some more fishing down in Delaware and maybe Virginia with as many opportunities as possible the next couple of months, plus some time in Alabama as well.  While in Alabama we'll be out on a boat a lot of the time with my dad, when in DE and VA we'll be on our own and a lot of time doing whatever we can do on foot on shore and/or on piers.  One thing we've found really annoying in the past is getting the right bait, then having to lug it all around, then if we want to get multiple types it's a real pain, then if we don't catch anything the rest is either given away or wasted.  Anyone here try those Berkeley Gulp soft baits?  I'm noticing they have eels, crabs, shrimp, squid, and others.  That's REALLY convenient to have that kind of variety, and even if they're only 50% as effective as a natural that's 100% more sure I'm going to have close to the right thing than not having it at all or having to find a bait store, pay an arm and a leg, lug it around feeling stupid, etc. etc. etc.  Anyone at all?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:52:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Gulp is good stuff. We use it quite a bit in Florida inshore. Great bait for speckled trout.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent.  Which ones do you use?  Any other species you target with them?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Berkeley Gulp Shrimp.

Only artificial bait i EVER use on a spin rod. it's really all you need. it's the most amazing bait ever, it's almost like cheating.

Redfish, trout, flounder, snook, ANYTHING.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#4]
For fishing in NJ, I tend to use Gulp! in 4" swimming mullet variety on a jighead or a bucktail.  Targeting Flounder in the surf, weakfish, blues.  It's killer stuff!  Definitely good to go.  Have used it a little while right now in AL (at my in-laws for the week) with no success, yet.  Hopefully tomorrow yields some better results.  One thing though, make sure you have a good, leak-proof container for it.  The smaller containers leak a little.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had good luck using the gulp shrimp and mullet in the Mobile bay area.  Usually use the new penny color, but may use the white, or gray depending on water clarity.  For the mullet try different colors, including the bright yellow.  Best bet is to get several different colors of each to see what the fish wan that day.  If you are fishing mid way down, I use it on a 1/4-1/2 oz jig head, depending on current.  For bottom bumping, I use a Carolina rig with about a 18" leader and 1/2oz egg sinker.  You can also use a popping cork for trout with the gulp on a leader, same as you would a live shrimp.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Gulp are probably the best bait ever. Its a shame they're so expensive. Its fun using a gulp shrimp on a popping cork  and tearing up trout. We had some sharks hit gulp shrimp last week in Florida bay.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 11:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know when and why (or if) they stopped making the 4" Gulp crabs?  I'm ordering some from eBay because some people have them--they're not listed on Berkley's site at the moment it appears.  Seems like a really good bottom fishing cobia bait.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I was a skeptic at first with GULP, refused to buy into the hype. Then I had a day where we caught nothing for half the day, put on a gulp jerk shad, and proceeded to catch fish for the rest of the day. I prefer the jerk shads rigged like you would a freshwater fluke with a little added weight to help with the tide, and weedless for working shallow. I've caught everything from big trout, to 30+" reds, to 20+" flounder on them.

They are the only soft baits I throw inshore anymore
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 2:01:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Gulp shrimp or shad in "New Penny" tears 'em up all along the Texas coast.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Gulp 4" new penny shrimp on a 1/2 oz jig head caught me the biggest mahi of my life. Its an awesome bait.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gulp 4" new penny shrimp on a 1/2 oz jig head caught me the biggest mahi of my life. Its an awesome bait.
View Quote

same rig here for pretty much any inshore species (trout, reds, drums, snook, jacks, etc...)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top