Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2013 4:28:16 AM EDT
I was cleaning two spinning reels getting ready for an upcoming fishing trip and I noticed the difference in quality between the two Shimano spinning reels I own.  I have a Sedona and a Sahara.  The Sedona is older but in still smooth as glass and the internals look brand new.  The Sahara on the other hand has noticeable corrosion on the internals and just isn't smooth.

I have decided I need a reel and when I checked the price of the Shimano Sedona 4000FD I noticed it was about $30 cheaper than what I paid about 4 years ago.  Does anyone know if these reels are still the same quality as they used to be?  I would hate to buy another to find that it's no better than the Sahara I have.

Are there any other spinning reels that I should look into that would be good for inshore fishing for trout, reds, and flounder that would similar in quality to the Sedona or maybe even a little better?  Looking to stay in the $50-100.00 range ideally around $80.00.

Update:  Since my Sedona 4000 was holding up so well I went with a Shimano Sedona 2500.  In a few weeks I'll get a chance to try it out.  Hopefully it will get broken in on lots of trout and reds.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Wally has some red tag stuff in a lot of their stores right now. I know you said your Sahara has issues but I just picked up a brand new one from Wally last week for $15. Smooth as anything with a nice hard back reel stop. I am not normally into bargain basement fishing stuff but I have a couple Saharas that have worked well for a couple years. I paid five times this price for them so I couldn't pass up the deal. Worst case scenario I will use it as a loaner for the tag-a-long fishermen that don't have their own gear.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the Daiwa SS Tournament reel is worth the extra money.  Depending on line test/capacity needs they can run from $95 - $115.

The best drag system in their class.

http://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-SS-Tournament-Spinning-Reel/dp/B0081GDNMW
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think the Daiwa SS Tournament reel is worth the extra money.  Depending on line test/capacity needs they can run from $95 - $115.

The best drag system in their class.

http://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-SS-Tournament-Spinning-Reel/dp/B0081GDNMW

I didn't know they still made those.  I have the ultralight version I bought on closeout for $40 several years ago.  Fantastic reels, I might have to consider that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are still looking....Penn Battle.  Metal body, braid spool, 6+1 bearings, and a good drag.  Right at $100, but is money well spent.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are still looking....Penn Battle.  Metal body, braid spool, 6+1 bearings, and a good drag.  Right at $100, but is money well spent.

Battle for sure.

I fish inshore 5-6 days a week, and my battle 2000 is a workhorse.  Well worth the money

Link Posted: 6/4/2013 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought 2 Shimano Siennas, 2 medium weight ugly sticks, and 300 yards of Power Pro 30lb line.

I have been using these types of rigs for the past few years, and I have been very impressed with these reels.

You can buy the rod, reel, and line for about $80 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]
i vote for the Sahara or Sienna.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I vote penn battle as well. I have a 3000 and 5000, adding a 4000 soon. They take abuse and do everything I can ask and keep ticking. Impressed with these reels for the money.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 2:03:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This is what I'd get if I didn't fly fish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top