Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2015 10:44:27 PM EDT
My buddies and I are going camping on Lake Texoma and are looking at doing a little bank fishing.  We normally take a boat, but there will be a bunch of us.  Any tips on banking for Striper?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
No expert but if you can keep shiners or shad alive and hook them on slip bobber or bottom you may get lucky.
There are lures for this but i know nothing of that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
They do it quite a bit here in the spring..    Usually they catch the alewife with a throw net  before dark,   wait a bit,  then live one one on your rod..    Usually involves a longer 8'6+ Salmon rod,  baitrunner reel and  8# line, and a #6 or 8 circle hook.   ( the idea is to keep it light so your alewife can swim easily joins back up with a school).    Then wait till you hear the pigs breaking the surface eating the schools of alewife.     Once you hear your baitrunner screaming,  start reeling and set the hook.   Make sure your primary drag is set for light line.    The baitrunner drag is set just above free spooling.      

I'm using an 8'6 MH ugly stick salmon rod,  a Shimano Baitrunner D 6000 series  and allot on 8# test fits on there.    Had them strip line out 150-200 yards already.

Never really tried lures for freshwater striper.  It is my understanding that silver kastmasters are pretty popular.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I fish for them below McAlpine Dam on the Ohio River at Louisville, Ky. They're a blast to catch on topwater lures when they are up in the white water just below the dam. Yeah, Kastmaster spoons also work but you have to keep your rod tip high to keep them out of the rocks. My largest to date is about 18-19 lbs.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I fish for them below McAlpine Dam on the Ohio River at Louisville, Ky. They're a blast to catch on topwater lures when they are up in the white water just below the dam. Yeah, Kastmaster spoons also work but you have to keep your rod tip high to keep them out of the rocks. My largest to date is about 18-19 lbs.
View Quote

I'm actually fishing there in the coming weeks. Do you fish below the dam on the KY side or the falls on the OH side? I've catfished the falls quite a bit, but never stripers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry for continuing the derail OP, but do you eat them from there? KYDFW says 1/mo I think, but it still seems sketchy to me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My buddies and I are going camping on Lake Texoma and are looking at doing a little bank fishing.  We normally take a boat, but there will be a bunch of us.  Any tips on banking for Striper?
View Quote

Below the dam will be your best bet for bank fishing at Texoma, but there may be too much water being released after all this rain.

Another thought is catfishing from the docks where the guides clean stripers.  I've seen some nice blues and channels caught that way.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
We use to catch small baitfish , blue gills , and set them on the line with bail open allowing them to swim around a bit. We would even take an empty can and put a little water in it and flip the tab up to hook the line, basically an alarm if the bait gets taken. Redneck fishing at its finest!

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They do it quite a bit here in the spring..    Usually they catch the alewife with a throw net  before dark,   wait a bit,  then live one one on your rod..    Usually involves a longer 8'6+ Salmon rod,  baitrunner reel and  8# line, and a #6 or 8 circle hook.   ( the idea is to keep it light so your alewife can swim easily joins back up with a school).    Then wait till you hear the pigs breaking the surface eating the schools of alewife.     Once you hear your baitrunner screaming,  start reeling and set the hook.   Make sure your primary drag is set for light line.    The baitrunner drag is set just above free spooling.      

I'm using an 8'6 MH ugly stick salmon rod,  a Shimano Baitrunner D 6000 series  and allot on 8# test fits on there.    Had them strip line out 150-200 yards already.
Never really tried lures for freshwater striper.  It is my understanding that silver kastmasters are pretty popular.  

View Quote

Just in case OP and his buddies don't know....

When using a circle hook, the phrase 'set the hook' means reel until the line gets tight, then LIFT the rod tip into the air.

Circle hooks are self-setting, and don't require the same kind of WHAM! hookset you would use on a bass eating a plastic worm in the middle of a patch of hydrilla.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Bob, where are you fishing? On the Del we usually use cut bait, bunker chunks, clam, and bloodworms are the most common. Personally I like bringing my plugging gear and fishing for them the same way as I do in the surf.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I had good luck on Saturday with perch guts.  I caught the perch first and then used the organs on a circle hook.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top