Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2014 9:41:32 PM EDT
Im PCSing to Ft. Drum in a couple of months and i was wondering if any of you guys have been fishing around the Ft. Drum area. I have no idea what kind of fish to expect or what gear to be using. All of my experience has been trout fishing in NV. Any advise will be appreciated. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't eat fish from  any military base
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
There is Salmon fishing down in Pulaski and millions of acres of public land with countless numbers of trout streams in northern New York.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay away from the Black River outside Watertown, it is full of mercury!!!

Other than that all the lakes around the area are awesome fishing especially in the winter for ice fishing. The best lakes we used to fish were Perch Lake and Indian Lake for Pike. There are a ton of lakes around the area but remember the great lakes are just up the interstate towards Canada.

Hopefully you are into hunting too, the Adirondacks are teaming with turkey and deer. Good luck and be sure to check out the Climb to Glory statue and look inside of the barrel. The creator added an interesting addition to it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:31:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Fish the oswegatchie
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies guys, ill stay away from the black river and try out those lakes. Ice fishing will definitely be a consideration since I will be showing up in the middle of the winter.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to NY.  The Salmon River is internationally renowned for Salmon fishing.  Lake Ontario is exceptional if you charter or have a boat.  If you take I-81 south to Oneida lake the walleye fishing is exceptional.  Google Oneida lake. In the same area you can fish for trout in Nine Mile Creek amongst many others as the state DEC stocks them from spring throughout the summer.  The state gets fishing right.  You can hunt on-post as well and there is plenty of state land up that way.  It's sad really as upstate NY is an outdoorsman's paradise.  I live in the Syracuse area and minus an 8 year stint in the Army have been here my whole life.  My brother was in 3rd brigade at Drum for years.  PM me if you have any further questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top