Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2014 1:55:05 PM EDT
I have a brand new abu garcia 6500 c3 reel I picked up on sale... Now I need a rod to go with it any recommended at around +/- $50?
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Bass Pro Shops Tourney Special, Berkley Lightning Rod Shock or Lightning Rod, or an Ugly Stik.

The first three have really nice actions.  The Ugly Stik is better than it used to be, but still pretty clunky.  The upside to the Ugly Stik is you are highly unlikely to break it.  It is possible, but you have to really try.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]

What are you going to be doing with it?
For bass fishing with plastic worms I use a medium action rod. Anything stiffer, even medium heavy, makes it tough to get any distance casting.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
mostly bass fishing i know the 6500 series is a little big for that but it was a good price....

im thinking about a 6 or 7 foot ugly stick  m action
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to spring a little more track down a 13 fishing omen black. Sick rod you won't be able to tell the difference between it and a $300 Gloomis

ETA: Cost of omen black $100
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#5]

OP I have tried different lengths and butt styles over a few decades and have always came back to a 5'6" pistol grip rod. I prefer graphite but that's because I use a plastic worm 99% of the time and really need the better sense of touch.
I use one of several old Ambassadeur 5000 reels or a 5500c-3.
I use the same rig when I throw a crankbait. I use a spinning rod and reel for spinner baits.
I do have a 6'6" and a 7' pole for jigging but don't use them much.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Need more information. What lures, line, target species?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been very happy with the Cabelas rods.  Without looking at it my most recent was bought a year ago and is either a Tourney Trail or a Prodigy.  Good rod, probably one of the best I've ever used.

Cabelas Rods
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top