Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2013 5:53:33 PM EDT
TPWD stocks ponds all through the winter.  I'm looking to hit a couple with my 3 yr old girl.  I figure cranking and worming a Texas jig for that monster large mouth is probably not her forte or will keep her interested.

Any of you guys/gals have tips for getting trout out of a pond?
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Around here we use kastmaster spoons. Something small, and flashy

For my kids we use a bobber and meal worms.

good luck!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Worms or powerbait fished on the botton. Also try small spoons and spinners.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
We've been having great luck at our urban lake using corn off the bottom lately.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep..

Powerbait/eggs/worms...  all work great for ponds.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Bobber, power bait, meal worms, worms and patience.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 12:43:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We've been having great luck at our urban lake using corn off the bottom lately.
View Quote

Don't use corn, corn when it comes off your hook, another fish may eat the corn!

Corn cannot be digested properly and will kill other fish if eaten!
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I do well trolling with a wedding ring (its a lure... they're cheap) and powerbait of your choice. I like the sparkly green. Worms can work well too.

Don't know if the trout down there are much different than here though

Eta my favorite way to cook them is gutted, put in foil with butter, a small bit of lemon, onion slivers, spices and cooked over a wood fire or charcoal. Comes out delicious.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#8]
last pond trout I drug out I was using a tadpole. Everyone was using meal worms (good bait) but that tadpole lasted about 5 seconds in the water
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't use corn, corn when it comes off your hook, another fish may eat the corn!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a stocked urban pond. Soon it will be so hot here,they will stop stocking. All but catfish will either have been caught or will die from the temps.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Powerbait egg with a sinker about 12" or so up the line. Can go further up the line or less, as long as the egg can float off the bottom.  Throw it in, let it sit, and wait for the bite.  Trout fishing is easy fishing if you do it right.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I do well trolling with a wedding ring (its a lure... they're cheap) and powerbait of your choice. I like the sparkly green. Worms can work well too.

Eta my favorite way to cook them is gutted, put in foil with butter, a small bit of lemon, onion slivers, spices and cooked over a wood fire or charcoal. Comes out delicious.
View Quote
Do you use a dodger infront of the wedding ring.  I've been looking at the setup.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]
My biggest trout was caught on canned corn other than that I use worms for lures a super duper will slay them. The thing with trout at least where I fish is you have to us really thin line if they see your line its over
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]
IF the water is cool enough that they're not stuck on the bottom, then a small tube jig hung 18" under a bobber and slowly retrieved will kill them. Also good for any panfish there might be in the pond as well.

If they're stuck on the bottom then powerbait rigged to float above the weeds would be the best bet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I really like the Joe's Flies and the Atomic tubes from Powerbait. I have caught huge rainbows on both!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Stocked pond trout don't tend to hit lures as readily as wild trout.  In the pens they're raised in they don't have to hunt food.  It comes to them in pellets.  I've always seen the Power Bait or worm under a bobber work the best.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 4:11:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Canned sweet kernel corn under a bobber tends to work really well on stocked trout. Just dont release if you are going to use this message as the kernels dont digest in and can kill smaller trout.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Small piece of worm on a #10 hook.
Catch my limit every time at the Salt river using that same set up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I use worms, power bait, or  chunks of McDonald's chicken sandwich. Use thin line and small hooks with a weight 12-18" up the line from the hook.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I use a few tatics, super dupers, wobblers and little cleos for casting.  Then if I'm fishing powerbait I make leaders with 6lb mono various lengths 12-24 inches.  Double barrel- line to size 14 treble hook.   I put two bullet weights on my pole line to a snap swivvle.  They will sit on the bottom and ingest that ball of powerbait, little do they know there's a super small treble hook in there.  Either pull excess line off your pole to a bobber or beer can after you cast said bait on the bottom.  Happy fishing!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Nightcrawler and marshmallow on a 12-24 inch leader off a 3/8 oz bottom weight. Take in the slack and sit back and enjoy a beverage.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Two words:  Worm blower.

Allows you to fish a crawler as if it were powerbait (floating off the bottom,) but it's actual food (better for the fish and pond.)
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been killing it with one of these lately -
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Something under a bobber. Little kids love watching a bobber. She'll have a blast.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
TPWD stocks ponds all through the winter.  I'm looking to hit a couple with my 3 yr old girl.  I figure cranking and worming a Texas jig for that monster large mouth is probably not her forte or will keep her interested.

Any of you guys/gals have tips for getting trout out of a pond?
View Quote

Where are you fishing?

Txl
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly what I use, both bait and cooking except I use a propane grill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top