Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2014 6:41:02 AM EDT
he's a few months short of being 14 years old . I guess that's rather old for a britt . he has been a good friend
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had two Brits make it to 13 and 14 1/2. That is a long time for them. Anything wrong with your pup? Or is he just looking old?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:14:16 AM EDT
[#2]
sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#3]
My first two wonderful Brits lived 12 years.
My Brit Gracie is getting cancer treatments every 3 weeks.
She's only 10.

It is just not fair.  

OP, so sorry to hear of your loss.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By P08:
I've had two Brits make it to 13 and 14 1/2. That is a long time for them. Anything wrong with your pup? Or is he just looking old?
View Quote

he is feeling his age . 3 months back he started getting sick and was in pain and having a hard time breathing . he could not keep any thing down and lost a lot of weight . mostly ,all he every ate was dog food and because he could not keep that down I started feeding him different things . which he also would throw up. I did find some thing he can eat with out any problems . its venison , is old and freezer burned .he seams to think its the best thing he's ever had and its putting some fat back on his bones.  
on bad days his front left leg does not work right . I have come home to find him crying in pain ,when he hurts, I hurt.
I found motrin  to be the best thing for his pain . most of the time he just gets half a pill and he does rather well . some times its a full pill. today it was a full pill . not only does it take away his pain it also lets him breath  easier.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By misser:
he is feeling his age . 3 months back he started getting sick and was in pain and having a hard time breathing . he could not keep any thing down and lost a lot of weight . mostly ,all he every ate was dog food and because he could not keep that down I started feeding him different things . which he also would throw up. I did find some thing he can eat with out any problems . its venison , is old and freezer burned .he seams to think its the best thing he's ever had and its putting some fat back on his bones.  

on bad days his front left leg does not work right . I have come home to find him crying in pain ,when he hurts, I hurt.

I found motrin  to be the best thing for his pain . most of the time he just gets half a pill and he does rather well . some times its a full pill. today it was a full pill . not only does it take away his pain it also lets him breath  easier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By P08:

Please know when it is time to let him go. I lost my first brit to Addisons and the second to a stroke, both had to be put down. Now I have my third who is 11-12 (he was a rescue dog) and I fear his time is drawing close.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#7]
With every dog comes the pain of losing them, but you have to know when it is time to accept the pain for them and let them go.

Sorry that your pup is not well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#8]
he's a few months short of being 14 years old . I guess that's rather old for a britt . he has been a good friend
View Quote

Freckles, my Brittany, passed a year ago at 16 years old. Would have been 17 two months later. He was awesome. Best dog ever, I was 20 when he died. Grew up with that dog. He had been bit by a rattler, took a car hit, fought a 3 year old Red Bone Coonhound the first day we brought the hound home and held his own as top dog, and was loyal as hell.

The cancer never took him. He had a stroke and lost use of his bag legs, and leading up to that we noticed him having trouble swallowing food, and had to look up to swallow. He wanted to hold on and his heart wasn't going to let him leave the family, but his body was telling him it was time.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for Brittany's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top