Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2013 12:39:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskagrown]
I have been looking into different breeds and think that a drahthaar might be what suits me best as I want a versatile hunting dog.  I currently in the fall hunt grouse (would like to start chasing ptarmigan) and started duck hunting this fall.  In the winter I chase snowshoe hare.  From what I have read so far the dd seems to be one of if not the best versatile hunting breeds out there.  I like the fact that the dd hasn't been watered down for looks in the show circuits as well as the breeding oriented towards natural ability in regards to hunting.  I did have some questions though.

Owning a drahthaar do you have any regrets?
What has the biggest challenge been?
Any particular reading material that you recomend ?
Was it your first hunting dog?
What breeder did you go through?
Would you recommend using them?
How much was your drahthaar (I have found that most breeders don't have prices readily available and then the ones I have found are between 800-1500)

This will be my first hunting dog but not my first dog.  Growing up I had a mixed breed terrier then a couple mini dachshunds.  I currently have an 10 year old German shephard/Alaska sled dog mix from the pound.  I am not in a rush as my wife is expecting the end of next month and I want the baby to be a little older first.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 1:30:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#1]
Having hunted behind drahthaar, they are fantastic dogs.  I have German shorthair pointers but have enjoyed the privilege of hunting behind a good drahthaar.  Some things that you may want to consider with the breed.  They have not been specifically bird bred.  You are going to get a true versatile continental hunting dog.  Meaning fur is going to be fair game.  The GWP and GSP while technically versatile continental hunting dogs have been bred more for their bird hunting abilities here in the states.  That is not to say a US bought dog won't have high prey drive on fur...because they will but no where near a drath unless that is a specific requirement of the breeding program.  The reason this may be a concern is you living in AK.  You have wolf, badger, wolverine, moose, etc... your drath's will want to hunt those and that may prove to be problematic.  Not trying to down play drath's because they are fantastic dogs and you could have the exact same problem with any of the continental breeds in terms of wanting to hunt potentially dangerous game.  

Some other areas that need addressed.

Don't overlook GSP's, Brittanies, or GWP's.  I have had zero problems with my GSP's in AK.  You may be able to hunt a little colder but not much with long haired dogs.

I would highly suggest you look into getting a started dog or better yet a field trial wash out (not a bad thing for hunting) over a puppy.  Unless you get lucky and just get a once in a lifetime dog, a started dog (1.5-4 years old) will teach you more about hunting than you could ever possibly hope to read in any training book.  You can then take that knowledge and apply it to a puppy when you want another dog.

There are some really good books but i would buy from a breeder who will insist on helping you out.  Breeders that care about their hunting lie will insist that their dogs be hunted and do it well.  A dog from their line that hunts poorly reflects poorly on them and they will do everything they can to make sure that never happens...again highly suggest you get a started breed.

A started dog will run you between $1500-$3500 deeding on pedigree and level trained to.

Where are you at in AK?  When I make it back up there if you like you are welcome to hunt behind my girls.

Link Posted: 10/6/2013 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By beardog30:
Having hunted behind drahthaar, they are fantastic dogs.  I have German shorthair pointers but have enjoyed the privilege of hunting behind a good drahthaar.  Some things that you may want to consider with the breed.  They have not been specifically bird bred.  You are going to get a true versatile continental hunting dog.  Meaning fur is going to be fair game.  The GWP and GSP while technically versatile continental hunting dogs have been bred more for their bird hunting abilities here in the states.  That is not to say a US bought dog won't have high prey drive on fur...because they will but no where near a drath unless that is a specific requirement of the breeding program.  The reason this may be a concern is you living in AK.  You have wolf, badger, wolverine, moose, etc... your drath's will want to hunt those and that may prove to be problematic.  Not trying to down play drath's because they are fantastic dogs and you could have the exact same problem with any of the continental breeds in terms of wanting to hunt potentially dangerous game.  

Some other areas that need addressed.

Don't overlook GSP's, Brittanies, or GWP's.  I have had zero problems with my GSP's in AK.  You may be able to hunt a little colder but not much with long haired dogs.

I would highly suggest you look into getting a started dog or better yet a field trial wash out (not a bad thing for hunting) over a puppy.  Unless you get lucky and just get a once in a lifetime dog, a started dog (1.5-4 years old) will teach you more about hunting than you could ever possibly hope to read in any training book.  You can then take that knowledge and apply it to a puppy when you want another dog.

There are some really good books but i would buy from a breeder who will insist on helping you out.  Breeders that care about their hunting lie will insist that their dogs be hunted and do it well.  A dog from their line that hunts poorly reflects poorly on them and they will do everything they can to make sure that never happens...again highly suggest you get a started breed.

A started dog will run you between $1500-$3500 deeding on pedigree and level trained to.

Where are you at in AK?  When I make it back up there if you like you are welcome to hunt behind my girls.

View Quote

Thanks for the reply the fur drive actually has me liking them more.  Rabbits will definitely be hunted and I am curious about using them for fox.  I also like what I have read about their blood trailing ability.  The different testing programs they have are interesting.  I would also be taking them along on big game hunts so that might be interesting.

My dad had two Brittany's and they are just not what I am looking for.  I will admit that I haven't looked into the GSP's. From what I understand and this is probably oversimplified.  GWP's and VDD's used to be the same however for GWP's regulated breeding ended in the 50's and since then they have been breed more towards breed standard for akc i.e. looks with SME breeders focusing more on hunting but still closer to akc.  VDD are regulated in their breading with the main concern towards hunting and creating the best hunting dogs available.  Again oversimplified and probably not doing either justice.  Not saying GWP's aren't good hunting dogs as they are my BIL just got one to use for hunting.

I live in Palmer.  I would definitely be up for hunting with you and your girls.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The VDD/GNA breeding and testing program produced the finest hunting dog I ever had the priviledge to walk behind.  Tess was her name and she'd point, retreive from water, trail rabbits, tree squirrels, and could find anything that was bleeding.  To get all of that, tons of patient, effective, well planned and repeated year round training was required.  She became my full time, year round hobby.  I was fortunate to have several experenced dog training friends as mentors and my family, kids included, got in on the act.  You level off effort in training will determine how well the dog hunts and behaves.

The dogs are a little slow to mature when compared to some other breeds, so don't expect a fully trained, polished dog until about the third year.  They required a firm hand, but respond to gentle, persistance training better than heavy handed agressiveness and shock collars.  They are kind of sharp (think GSD here) and sometime a little stand-offish with stranger.  They can be very terrortial, Tess was master of our back yard and nothing crossed the fence without challage.  I never had a 'coon or possom problem after I got her and the neighborhood cats found other area to visit too.  

She loved to train.  We'd do 10 - 15 minute secession several time a day instead of longer lessons less frequently.  We'd start with things she knew well and progress from there, always ending of a successful, happy note.  Make sure to get the dog around lots of people, especially kids, early on to get proper socialization.  You'll need to find a source for pigions, quail, ducks, and rabbits for effective training aids.

Can't see having a Draathar here in hot ass Mississippi, but we plan to move to Arizona in 2 years.  If that happens, they'll be another bearded beauty in my house.  Highly recommend the breed to those willing to put in the time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
My understanding is about the same as yours.  The only difference I thought the Drath had to go through a very specific test in order to breed and part of that test dealt with chasing fur.  As I mentioned previously most US hunting lines are bred for bird hunting so the fur part became a largely ignored trait in the breeding process.   This is where I thought the GWP branched off.  If you are wanting a dog to go after fur, I think you are on the right path, just don't forget they will go after bear and wolverine with tenacity.  I would highly suggest you talk to a breeder about their thoughts on getting a couple.  You are going to be in an area with high exposure to dangerous fur and from what little I have read about that kind of hunting, it is normally done with a couple dogs.  It may be dangerous for your dog if he has to go it alone...again no expert here a breeder will be able to answer your questions much better than me in that regards.

Either way I do highly recommend you get a started dog.  I know there are some more folks on the board that have Draths...hopefully they will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Some really good information posted in this thread.

As a fairly new (9 months) Drahthaar owner, I can speak from limited experience. I will try to answer all of your questions that I can. If I forget any, please let me know. I spent significant time researching before I purchased my DD and I talked with quite a few breeders in the Midwest before I made a decision to purchase one. I can honestly say that I am truly impressed. I purchased my pup from here - and have been more than satisfied. Mike was great to work with and has been more than available to answer any questions.  

I purchased a female puppy, as I wanted the opportunity to work with the dog myself to get a feel for the temperament. I have small children and they will be spending considerable time with the dog, so I wanted socialization/exposure early and often. To this point (she's still a pup-albeit 68lbs.) she has been wonderful with the kids. I could not have asked for a more even-keeled hunting dog.  

Previously, I have always had English pointers and it's important to mention DD's are quite different. My DD is much more confident and self-assured than any previous dog I have owned. With that said...she responds MUCH better to positive reinforcement and treats over a heavy hand for training. As mentioned, they do have a strong fur drive and will go after rabbits, squirrels, etc... without much recourse. In Germany, these dogs are bred to hunt boar, so they are not afraid of much and will go after just about anything. I have to be careful with our barn cat, as I am not sure what our DD would do if she had a few moments alone with him.  

They tend to track with their nose on the ground more than up in the air. My English pointers always had their nose in the air, while my DD always has her nose on the ground. Bird work does take a little effort, but I have not found it to be overly difficult or time consuming. She doesn't hunt too far away from me, which is quite different from my EP's. I have been able to get considerable work done with just a long check cord and working standard commands. Their natural hunting ability is quite obvious and it really is amazing how fast she has picked up the training.  

To this point, she has been the easiest dog I have ever had the opportunity to train. This will be our first season together, so it will be a learning experience, but from what I have seen so far, I am expecting a good outing. I paid $1200 for her and have absolutely no regrets! If your looking for a breed that really can do it all, I think the DD is an excellent choice.

If you have any other specific questions, please let me know.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 4:40:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HarfordFiles] [#6]
Originally Posted By Alaskagrown:
I have been looking into different breeds and think that a drahthaar might be what suits me best as I want a versatile hunting dog.  I currently in the fall hunt grouse (would like to start chasing ptarmigan) and started duck hunting this fall.  In the winter I chase snowshoe hare.  From what I have read so far the dd seems to be one of if not the best versatile hunting breeds out there.  I like the fact that the dd hasn't been watered down for looks in the show circuits as well as the breeding oriented towards natural ability in regards to hunting.  I did have some questions though.

Owning a drahthaar do you have any regrets?
What has the biggest challenge been?
Any particular reading material that you recomend ?
Was it your first hunting dog?
What breeder did you go through?
Would you recommend using them?
How much was your drahthaar (I have found that most breeders don't have prices readily available and then the ones I have found are between 800-1500)
View Quote

Ive owned 3, seen hundreds...Im mildly qualified to chime in.

DDs are smarter than most children.
Training is a challenge, because they are so smart, but soft in terms of corrections. They dont like repeat drills either.
So pretend youre training a Golden Retriever and make it always positive with lots of treats. Early on, many were circus dogs, they are that smart.

Reading musts:
The NAVHDA Green Book or Altmoors Drahthaar Puppy Manual are must owns.
John Jeaneneys 'Tracking Dogs For Finding Wounded Deer' is also very good.

No, not my 1st hunting dog.
I had GSPs and Setters prior, Hunted with labs and britts also. I like my Drahths.

From a Gent in the Midwest but many good breeders out there, find one who hunts what you hunt. There are a few of them and a chapter in Alaska.

Yes, if youre willing to hunt 30+ times per year, have them a member of your family (Not a kennel dog) and know that they will close on furred game and retrieve all game, or die trying. Their drive is extraordinary.

$800 many years ago which is about the going rate today give or take $200.
They dont train themselves or come trained!  You have To expose them and teach them to an extent. All else is genetic.
Best of luck.

This was a dog I wanted to breed to,
Sadly he died of bloat a year or so back. Nice import male, 85# of drive, hunt all day dog.

Learning Manners on Russian bear.

I dont recommend this, but this Russian Guy uses his drahthaar to track wounded wolves, dog closes on them when need be.
YOu might not want or need that kind of dog power, so find a breeder with like interests, if you want a balanced dog for upland/water or a hard charging big game dog that is especially hard. Different lines, but all will hunt..thats the beauty of the DD.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Blog on the Worlds Most Versatile Dog: The Drahthaar
Some amazing photos

http://bharford.wordpress.com/2014/01/04/the-worlds-most-versatile-hunting-dog/
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a little update. I have been looking at different breeders and finding ones that might ship to Alaska.  I have also been going to local NAVHDA training classes.  The NAVHDA training coordinator for the local chapter (a draht owner himself) pointed me to a local(ish) breeder who is planning a litter for the beginning of next year.  I have emailed him and am waiting to hear back.  He should be in town next week and I will be able to meet both he and the dam then.

The training classes have been pretty cool I have gotten to watch some of the different breeds and how the dogs have developed.  I have gotten to watch a pudel pointer, several drahts, a gwp, several gsp's, a lab and someone brought out their 16 week old Irish setter last night.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#9]
My brother and I have owned and trained six drahts and just bred our first litter this summer. The best advice I can give you in selecting a breeder is to forget convenience when selecting your breeder. You will put so much time and money into a Draht that the slight difference in up front cost will be extremely insignificant in the long run.

Pick a breeder who hunts what you hunt and is selecting for dogs that excel in that type of hunting. With drahts, they will all be hunters but not all are created equal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:45:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keechi_Kid:
My brother and I have owned and trained six drahts and just bred our first litter this summer. The best advice I can give you in selecting a breeder is to forget convenience when selecting your breeder. You will put so much time and money into a Draht that the slight difference in up front cost will be extremely insignificant in the long run.

Pick a breeder who hunts what you hunt and is selecting for dogs that excel in that type of hunting. With drahts, they will all be hunters but not all are created equal.
View Quote

Thanks for the advise the breeder has sent me the breed announcement with scores he will have the Ahnentafel for the dam and a copy of the sires when I meet him on Wednesday.  He hunts the dam for everything that I will be hunting.  The sire is coming from a kennel in PA.  The dams vjp score low but she passed,  the hzp 217 with a 30 for the hare track and 11's in form and coat.  The sires vjp was 74 hzp 196 without hare track an a 12 behind duck 11 in form and 10 in coat its vgp was 236.  We'll see I will be meeting him and the dam and we will see how it goes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine came from Vom Millerhaus in PA. It's a hunting machine and and an all around bad ass. It loves my 3 year old daughter, best house dog ever. Will kill a coon in deep water without blinking. Super on grouse and pheasant. Dispatches or retrieves depending on command. These are the greatest hunting dogs on the planet. Will not own any other breed from here on out. This coming from a guy that trailed labs and Lewellyn setters.  Blood trails to infinity, will kill what's on the end of the blood trail if not dead.

My soul will be crushed when this dog dies.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Got to meet the breeder today.  They took a couple hours of their time to talk to me about their dogs the sire thoughts on training, testing and hunting.  Pretty cool considering they had been driving for 6 hours to get to where I was and had at least another hour before they got to their destination.  They let. My children interact with the dogs, his wife walked off with my daughter letting my daughter give the commands for heel and then fetch, hold and give.  It was a really pleasant experience.  I wound up asking about con Willebrands disorder and he hadn't tested for it but  is going to have the DNA testing done to clear her for that, hips shoulders and elbows all checked out good.  The sire has been cleared on all tests already.  Here is a. Pic from last night "Lark" on the left is the dam to be Odessa the dog on the right came from the same dam, Odessa's sire will be the sire for this litter.  The sire will be Santo vom Hohenfeld owned by vom Buffeltaler, "Lark" is Lida vom Buffeltaler.  Wound up putting the deposit down,  now I get to wait the breeding is looking to be around Christmas time, puppies around February and get to bring it home around April.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]
The timing will be good if you choose to test them. They will be on the older side of things for the VJP and HZP.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keechi_Kid:
The timing will be good if you choose to test them. They will be on the older side of things for the VJP and HZP.
View Quote

The timing as far as the testing will be goodas well as for my family, I have a 7 month old and my wife was wanting him to be a little older before we get the puppy.  The breeder is hoping that with there being a litter there will be enough interest to have a VJP and HZP offered up here in 2016.  So far they have only held one test a year and only for the last 3 years 2 hzp's and one vgp.

Are there any books or DVD's you recommend?  I was looking at getting Altmoors Drahthaar Puppy Manual  I know some breeders include it with their pups but have also heard its fairly generic with not much in it really.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the puppy manual is good for giving people new to the system an overview if how things work. It also serves to give you a rough outline of how your pup should be progressing.

I do not think it takes the place of training with experienced Draht owners, but I do think it is good to have. I have recommended it to my puppy buyers and plan on providing it to the buyers of my next litter.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I have an update the puppies were welped on the 4th.  3 females 5 males so I will be able to get my female.  Of the females one is brown the other two are black, I will get my pick of the two black females The breeders wife is going to be paying attention to their personality to give me her opinion on which one she thinks would be best for my family.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:57:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 41magsnub] [#17]
Cute!  the one on the top right from this angle is a near twin to my GWP.

Backing some some DD vs GWP comments from a long time ago...  my Maddie is relentless on birds.  I don't think there can be a more bird crazy dog in existence.  Fur - completely ignores it.  Last weekend she was out on the last pheasant hunt of the year.  She kicked up a big jackrabbit and they ran into each other, got their legs tangled up, and they both went down.  She blew that off, ignored the rabbit, and kept on looking for birds.  She ignores cats, deer, song birds, rabbits, and anything else that isn't a game bird.

For my purposes - that's perfect.  I could probably put her onto rabbits by popping one for her, but we're not going to find out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Got to go up and visit the pups earlier in the week.  They were right at 4 weeks.  It was pretty cool.  Here is a pic of me with the two females that I will get to choose from.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:28:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Well here she is I will be picking her up in two and a half weeks.  Her name on paper will be Aurora vom Borealen.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:13:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CatskillDraht] [#20]
Congrats on the new pup!  You've made a wise choice. I would agree with the previous posters, there is nothing out there that has the drive they do. We hunt some nasty brush for grouse and he always comes out of even the worst thickets with the bird. They are very intense and mine definitely responded best to varied, positive training than constant repetition, but you are going to love the dog.  Buffeltaler is a great kennel and very good people.  My dog's sire is Bruno from his kennel, so you are in good hands there.  Good luck with the pup and keep us posted on your progress.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z185/JL4453/LUKA_43982v2.jpg
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Well the pup seems alright, I think I will keep her.  I am actually amazed sometimes with how she is with my 18 month old boy, there are something that boy does to the pup that I would view a snap or bite justifiable but she will stop and either stand still or walk away.  I took her to a training class an she is all about the birds.  4 months old today here she is doing retreive in the yard.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top