Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 10:14:29 PM EDT
I'm doing a short trip in a couple weeks. I want to make sure I'm not packing too much or too little.

The basic plan is: going to a stare park; parking one afternoon, ~2 mile hike to a campsite, spending the following day hiking in the area in the morning and reading a book in the afternoon, 2nd night at the campsite, 3rd morning I head back to my care and drive home.

Weather's likely to be between 70 and 100 and sunny (might get down to 60 if it rains).

Will probably take down my campsite after the first night and throw the whole thing in the back of my vehicle before going hiking in the area; don't want to encourage theives with an abandoned campsite. Have a smaller hydration pack I can use (stored in my truck overnight) that I can use for the day of hiking.

Currently I have packed:
- Katedyn Hiker Pro water filter
- Plastic "hygene" trowel
- GSI Soloist cook set
- Bic Lighter
- Water/windproof matches
- MSR Pocket Rocket 2 stove
- MSR 220g fuel canister (fits in the GSI pot)
- MSR Canister Stand
- GSI plastic fork
- GSI plastic spoon
- 5x Mountian House meals ("2 servings" pouches; I figure that's one meal per pouch at around 300-350 calories per "serving")
- 4x Tabasco 0.13oz packets
- Tooth brush
- Travel sized tooth paste
- Kelty Salida 2 tent
- Kelty Salida 2 footprint
- Klymit Static V2 sleeping pad
- Kelty Tuck 30 sleeping bag
- Sea To Summit Aeros pillow
- S&W M&P9c with a spare mag in a Safariland ALS holster (conceals in backpack waistbelt with the holster)
- Academy (store brand) Poncho
- Printed maps of the area
- Paracord, about 20ft
- Anker PowerCore 13000mAh charger with cable (I plan to take pictures with my phone...a lot)
- 3L Source hydration bladder
- IFAK
- Nalgene canteen, marked to show how much is left so I can measure when cooking.
- REI Flexlite chair

I may not have access to water, so if that happens I may carry a second 3L bladder to the campsite and leaving the water filter in my truck (and have a couple spare gallon jugs in my truck).

Also have a compact copy of the New Testament; depending on how energetic I'm feeling (i.e., how much time I want to be lazy and sit in camp reading) I may trade that for a full size full Bible.

I'm probably going to add a full change of clothes, maybe two if there's enough space in my pack.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I may have missed it, but I didn't see a knife or a headlamp/flashlight?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Good point.

I always keep a Leatherman Wave and a Fenix LD12 on my, so forgot to mention those.

I should probably pick up some spare Lithium batteries and add a headlamp to my pack.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Def need a headlamp and extra batteries.

Might want to ditch the sleeping bag - it's summer! Just bring a light blanket?

Extra underwear and socks?

Toilet paper? Biodegradeable wet wipes are best. Ration out about twice as much as you need and put into two zip lock baggies.

Hat, sunglasses, bug spray, sun screen
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Extra clothes are not needed if you have two sets of merino base layer and a pair of socks for each day plus one extra pair.

Vaseline - coat your feet before you start. Keep a bit extra in a baggie - good for starting a camp fire etc
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:36:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure which state park, but I wouldn't worry too much about breaking down your campsite just to go for a day hike.  If you have valuables, either take them with you or lock them in the vehicle.  

Water.  We did a lot of summer camping in central TX.  Not sure about the availability of water, but I always packed along two smaller (2.5 gallon) Scepter water cans.  They're smaller than the 5 gallon sizes and easier to transport. Your gallon jugs will work fine, just make sure you have enough for drinking, cooking, coffee, and hygiene.  In your temps, a gallon a day is probably okay if you're not over-exerting yourself.  

Part of your FAK should include sun screen and bug repellent.

Not sure how far you plan on hiking, but some trail snacks (trail mix, granola bars, etc.) are nice to have on hand.

If you have a spot to hang a hammock, an inexpensive hammock (like ENO) is an excellent "lounge" chair for the campsite.  It's also a great place to lay down to read or nap and excellent for really hot weather.

Lastly, take a notebook and pen/pencil.  Identify what was most useful/used, what wasn't really necessary, and what you should have packed.  Your own personal Lessons Learned to make the next trip better.  After years of camping and hiking, I still make a checklist/packing list.  Life always makes you too busy to pay full attention and it's ironic how easy it is to forget the most basic and essential item.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:59:09 AM EDT
[#6]
personal locator beacon and a topography map of where you're going. for a weapon, i would take something bigger than a 9. have you watched the video about the expanding toilet paper tablets?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
personal locator beacon and a topography map of where you're going. for a weapon, i would take something bigger than a 9. have you watched the video about the expanding toilet paper tablets?
View Quote
I've got a topo map, but I'm not expecting it to be much use. Area I'm going is very urban.

I'll have a charged phone (and signal) everywhere I'll be, so a locator beacon seems overkill.

Biggest wildlife I'm expecting to see is a drunk college student.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:03:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't see a camper on the list.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Def need a headlamp and extra batteries.

Might want to ditch the sleeping bag - it's summer! Just bring a light blanket?

Extra underwear and socks?

Toilet paper? Biodegradeable wet wipes are best. Ration out about twice as much as you need and put into two zip lock baggies.

Hat, sunglasses, bug spray, sun screen
View Quote
Any suggestions on where to pick up biodegradeable wet wipes?

I'm going to try to hit REI this weekend to shop for a hat.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not sure which state park, but I wouldn't worry too much about breaking down your campsite just to go for a day hike.  If you have valuables, either take them with you or lock them in the vehicle.  

Water.  We did a lot of summer camping in central TX.  Not sure about the availability of water, but I always packed along two smaller (2.5 gallon) Scepter water cans.  They're smaller than the 5 gallon sizes and easier to transport. Your gallon jugs will work fine, just make sure you have enough for drinking, cooking, coffee, and hygiene.  In your temps, a gallon a day is probably okay if you're not over-exerting yourself.  

Part of your FAK should include sun screen and bug repellent.

Not sure how far you plan on hiking, but some trail snacks (trail mix, granola bars, etc.) are nice to have on hand.

If you have a spot to hang a hammock, an inexpensive hammock (like ENO) is an excellent "lounge" chair for the campsite.  It's also a great place to lay down to read or nap and excellent for really hot weather.

Lastly, take a notebook and pen/pencil.  Identify what was most useful/used, what wasn't really necessary, and what you should have packed.  Your own personal Lessons Learned to make the next trip better.  After years of camping and hiking, I still make a checklist/packing list.  Life always makes you too busy to pay full attention and it's ironic how easy it is to forget the most basic and essential item.

ROCK6
View Quote
I'm probably going to be hiking 6-12 miles total; probably closer to 10, across two days.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hey, dont knock it.
After blowing out my back in 08 a slide in pop up for the truck is a Godsend....
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey, dont knock it.
After blowing out my back in 08 a slide in pop up for the truck is a Godsend....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, dont knock it.
Not knocking it at all. My tent camping days are long gone...I love my pop-up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not knocking it at all. My tent camping days are long gone...I love my pop-up.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top