Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2017 9:19:17 AM EDT
I am looking for something that I can run with but also take on day hikes and the occasional hike and overnight camping trip. Ive had my mind set on getting just the runner kit with the stabilizer strap but the more I think about it, the more I question if it will have enough room for me. This is a list of what I plan to carry at all times:

Glock 19 w/ X300
   Spare mag
   ESEE Izula
   Leathermen
   Phone
   Wallett
   Keys
   basic first aid kit
   lighter

I try and pack my gear as smart as possible but you know how that goes with packing! From my list above, do you all think that the Runner will work for my needs? The original looks to be a great option but Im worried it may be to big for me honestly. Im 5'9" 170.

Any input would be appreciated and if you have HPG pics, please post them up!
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Rock will be by shortly; he loves him some HPG.  

I prefer just a traditional daypack with a Bianchi M12 military holster attached to the pack's hip belt.  Significantly less expensive and easier to draw from safely.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I prefer just a traditional daypack with a Bianchi M12 military holster attached to the pack's hip belt.  Significantly less expensive and easier to draw from safely.
View Quote
I would go along that route but do some day hikes in areas pretty close to Atlanta at times and Id rather not have to stop my hike to deal with the cops
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The original HPG Kit Bag will carry all of that comfortably.  That's what I have.  I use it for running, hiking and backpacking.  The newer model with MOLLE webbing would be handy, but not necessary.  I wouldn't go smaller than that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The original HPG Kit Bag will carry all of that comfortably.  That's what I have.  I use it for running, hiking and backpacking.  The newer model with MOLLE webbing would be handy, but not necessary.  I wouldn't go smaller than that.
View Quote
Do you use the stabilizer strap with the original kit bag while running?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an HPG Recon (the one with the molle front) - liked it a lot when I hiked the GA part of the AT. It'll easily carry your suggested load - mine was similar except w/ G19+TLR1. Didn't use the stabilizer kit.

Let me see if I can find a pic of myself. If you're looking for one, I have a spare. Shoot me a PM.

EDIT: fouAttachment Attached File
nd a pic
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do you use the stabilizer strap with the original kit bag while running?
View Quote
Yes.  

I also use the load lifter straps when backpacking.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the recon pack. It will hold it all that and more. I don't run anymore.

Why do you need to run if you have a pistol?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#9]
My HPG Heavy Recon Kit bag setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q350sMyvJfE

Chest Rig - Heavy Recon Kit bag by Hill People Gear

Chest rig with Gerber Prodigy Knife by Dan Passaro, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the runners kit bag, I don't run. But I hike/hunt alot.

I carry my G19, Sawyer kit, small first aid kit, small fire kit, compass and 2 power bars.  Also wear a h2o bag and bladder with it.  

I like the size of the Runners Kit Bag.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would go along that route but do some day hikes in areas pretty close to Atlanta at times and Id rather not have to stop my hike to deal with the cops
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize that it's illegal for the police to detain you unless they can articulate a law that they believe you're breaking....right?  If you're carrying legally you don't have to talk to them, you can hike away.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You do realize that it's illegal for the police to detain you unless they can articulate a law that they believe you're breaking....right?  If you're carrying legally you don't have to talk to them, you can hike away.
View Quote
Legality is a formality.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I fully understand that and how the law works but sadly, many of the LEOs in the more city areas here do not in some cases. Id rather just not run the risk.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:15:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I fully understand that and how the law works but sadly, many of the LEOs in the more city areas here do not in some cases. Id rather just not run the risk.
View Quote
Agreed.  There is no reason to invite trouble into your life.  Shoot first, question later is the mentality of of many cops.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know a guy here in WA that bought two brand new his-&-hers motorcycles with the settlement money after some cops pretended not to know that open carry was lawful.  I know another who took home $9K (after the lawyer took his cut) just for 20 minutes of illegal police detainment.  They aren't going to get more educated if we ignore the problem.  

I have stopped and talked to people on the trails here in WA and only about half noticed the holster at all, and only after standing there for several minutes.  In passing I would estimate only 10% ever noticed it.  Here in WA the trails are crawling with libtards with gluten free granola stuck in their teeth, and I have never heard of anyone having a problem with OC.  I have passed several openly carrying hikers over the years, from low profile regular-folk types to almost full combat gear equipped soldier wanna-bees too.  

Anyway, go with whatever makes you comfortable.  I prefer the M12 as it is easier to access and I don't have to practice a contorted draw to keep from sweeping my off-side arm during the draw.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I run a recon, and normally have a G19 in it, but have carried up to a 5" N Frame revolver.

I added some BFG pouches on the outside for my most used gear.

In the summer I kayak a fair amount, and the kit bag gets used weekly.

G19 shown for size reference:

Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I just snagged a like new HPG Original Kit Bag off their classifieds.

I think there may be a couple more posted for sale!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you for the pictures and opinions of the bags. I am working on picking up a Recon that someone is selling local. If that ends up not happening, Ill be ordering ASAP!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Is this a pic thread now?  

Great products and great people.

Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I know a guy here in WA that bought two brand new his-&-hers motorcycles with the settlement money after some cops pretended not to know that open carry was lawful.  I know another who took home $9K (after the lawyer took his cut) just for 20 minutes of illegal police detainment.  They aren't going to get more educated if we ignore the problem.

I have stopped and talked to people on the trails here in WA and only about half noticed the holster at all, and only after standing there for several minutes.  In passing I would estimate only 10% ever noticed it.  Here in WA the trails are crawling with libtards with gluten free granola stuck in their teeth, and I have never heard of anyone having a problem with OC.  I have passed several openly carrying hikers over the years, from low profile regular-folk types to almost full combat gear equipped soldier wanna-bees too.  

Anyway, go with whatever makes you comfortable.  I prefer the M12 as it is easier to access and I don't have to practice a contorted draw to keep from sweeping my off-side arm during the draw.
View Quote
The only places in WA where you'll catch flak are city parks (around Redmond, Bellevue, Olympia, etc.).  It's good to hear politicized LEOs are getting hammered.  It's not about supporting the boys in blue, it's about punishing the local politicians and ignorant city tax payers who think they're feelings are more important than the Constitution.  Mainsail and I may differ on opinions for CCW, but really for different reasons; what we both agree on is push against the anti-open carry crowd; open carry is generally faster to access than concealed carry; and, whatever your holsters system is, make sure it integrates with your pack or outdoors activity well.

We just got back from a shortened backpacking trip (extremely bad weather and wife banged her knee pretty good), so I'll post some pictures later.  I took my Original Snubby Kit Bag; it carried well but as with everything (even with a rain cover) everything got soaked

I don't do as much running outdoors, but I have and do use a Snubby Kit Bag, which is one of their smallest (smaller than their Runner's Kit Bag).  It gets more use when mountain biking and I limit contents to just a handgun and ID.  The stabilizer strap works, but I actually run without it and haven't had any major issues.  I don't do cross-country running, so maybe it's more useful there, but for street running and mountain biking it is a stable platform.  

I'm drying my Original Snubby out right now.  I did pick up the Heavy Recon recently to play with; more for actual training, and I'm liking it as a lightweight chest rig.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am looking for something that I can run with but also take on day hikes and the occasional hike and overnight camping trip. Ive had my mind set on getting just the runner kit with the stabilizer strap but the more I think about it, the more I question if it will have enough room for me. This is a list of what I plan to carry at all times:

Glock 19 w/ X300
   Spare mag
   ESEE Izula
   Leathermen
   Phone
   Wallett
   Keys
   basic first aid kit
   lighter

I try and pack my gear as smart as possible but you know how that goes with packing! From my list above, do you all think that the Runner will work for my needs? The original looks to be a great option but Im worried it may be to big for me honestly. Im 5'9" 170.

Any input would be appreciated and if you have HPG pics, please post them up!
View Quote

I have the same bag.  I'm not sure how big your first aid kit or the Izula (knife, right?) are, but I carry a similar amount of gear running and backpacking with no problem

M&P (usually a 40c, but the 40 fits with an U300U)
spare mag
phone
badge with holder (similar to wallet size
keys
roll of bags for dog crap
There should be room for your other stuff, as long as the knife and 1st aid kit aren't ridiculously large.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top