Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2017 1:59:29 PM EDT
I've been screwing around making different style alcohol stoves and decided to try to make the smallest stove I could.  I started with a Butane refill bottle and cut 1-1/4" from the top and bottom.  Drilled (8) 1/16" holes around the top and (1) 1/16" hole in the top.  Drilled out the plastic nozzle and inserted a 6-32 rivet-nut.  Then I used a #6-32 x 1/2" machine screw to hold a washer style tag holder in place with a small split ring on it so I can carabiner it to my pack if desired.  For appearance I bead blasted it to get the paint off of it.

It holds just under 1oz and burns for around 10 minutes using denatured alcohol.

I use an old nasal spray bottle, which is 1-1/2oz and can fill it twice.

tic tacs for scale
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

here it is burning
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Will it boil water?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty cool! How much does it weigh?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I learned something tonight, use jbweld between the 2 parts.  I was doing a water boil rest with 2 cups of cold water.  I filled the stove with denatured alcohol, and got it burning good, then put the water on top of a small screen atop the stove.  It took 4 minutes for the water to be brought to a rolling boil.  

Just as i was going to take a picture, theres an explosion.  The fuel ran out and the stove must have gone super lean  or something because it blew the top half off with enough force to bend the screen that the pot was sitting on. See horrible quality pics

Attachment Attached File

Luckily, there was no fuel left.  

So technically it works but it needs some sealant.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I might try to make one like that but low pressure open top like the cat can stove.

You could do the same thing but cutting out the top. Once the stove heats up and the cooking pot gets close enough the stove would jet and burn well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I just did another test after sealing the 2 halves with gas tank sealant.  I also removed the screw holding the center tab to provide better airflow.  The stove burned for 5:33 and gently went out.  The flames around the outside were smaller during the entire burn as well.  

With the center open the stove burned longer because it had used up all of its fuel at the 4:30 mark in the first test.

I think i need to make another one after learning from my mistakes here.

Ill weigh it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I was on an alcohol stove kick for a while. There are some good designs you should look at like the penny can stove and double wall pressurized stove. I also purchased a RUCAS off of eBay and it's like the pinnacle of alcohol stove technology. There are a few capillary designs on YouTube that are really interesting but they are a pain in the ass to make because they are so complex. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice! I bet it is still heavier than a pop can stove due to the thicker walls of the butane bottle.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a big fan of the Starlite and 12-10 stoves. I also have a toaks capillary which works well, but isn't as efficient...and a Vargo which works fantastic, but has a fatal flaw in that it requires 2oz (and no less) of alcohol to prime. 
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice! I bet it is still heavier than a pop can stove due to the thicker walls of the butane bottle.
View Quote
The supercat stove is .2 oz by itself. It's hard to beat that on weight. I wonder if a vienna sausage can is lighter weight and smaller?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I weighed it and it was 17 grams or .6 ounces.  When it expoded apart it crumpled part of the top and a crack appeared, so i made a larger version from a shaving cream can.  It holds 2 ounces of alcohol and weighs 33 grams.  My larger one looks exactly like a 2X scale of the original.

I also made a penny stove and have 2 soda can stoves.  Ill have to make the supercat.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I weighed it and it was 17 grams or .6 ounces.  When it expoded apart it crumpled part of the top and a crack appeared, so i made a larger version from a shaving cream can.  It holds 2 ounces of alcohol and weighs 33 grams.  My larger one looks exactly like a 2X scale of the original.

I also made a penny stove and have 2 soda can stoves.  Ill have to make the supercat.
View Quote
Stoves are fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top