Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2017 6:23:24 AM EDT
I'm hoping to do some multi-day hikes this year.

When you park at Point A, hike to Point B, how do you get back to your vehicle at Point A where you parked?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Mainly look for loop hikes that take me back to where I parked; they can be several days long and worth it. But on through hikes I might have a hiking partner bring his car, drop it off at the end and then I'll drive us both to the beginning, hike, and drive back in his car to get mine.  Sometimes my wife just picks me/us up.  In my younger days I also hitch-hiked a bit; people that live around popular trails are used to seeing dirty young guys with backpacks and they are generally friendly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mainly look for loop hikes that take me back to where I parked; they can be several days long and worth it. But on through hikes I might have a hiking partner bring his car, drop it off at the end and then I'll drive us both to the beginning, hike, and drive back in his car to get mine.  Sometimes my wife just picks me/us up.  In my younger days I also hitch-hiked a bit; people that live around popular trails are used to seeing dirty young guys with backpacks and they are generally friendly.
View Quote
Loop hikes or you need to get a friend to drive with you to B, leave your car, have friend take you to A. Or uber or something.

I've always done a there and back or a loop.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Uber
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Uber
View Quote
Any idea what a 100 mile Uber will cost?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I've gone on some multi day mountain bike rides that area bike shops would shuttle bikers back to the trailhead of their choice. Small fee.
Ive seen outfitters stores that will shuttle for hikers doing the same thing.
Check outfitters in the trail area for shuttle.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I generally only get to do over night or 3 day treks anymore. I almost always just use a loop trail to avoid the hassle of finding a ride at the end because I'm usually an hour or more from home to start anyway.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Generally do loops. Or my wife or MIL pick me up. I've done all of the AT in GA and much of it in NC using those methods. Quite a bit of it I've hiked twice.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uber
That sounds like a rental car, bus ride, or something of both.  100 miles?!
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#9]
The last time I did something like that I towed the atv to my destination point, took it off the trailer pulled the coil wire chained it to a tree and covered it with brush.  Then I drove the truck and trailer to my starting point and then commenced my hike.

In hindsight, I would have dropped the truck and trailer at my end point and driven the atv to my starting point, at the end of twelve days in the woods getting in the truck would have been more enjoyable than driving the atv for hours.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#10]
1. Pick a loop hike
2. Wife
3. Really good friend
4. bring a hiking friend with a car and leave one at the exit.
5. Use a shuttle service that specializes in trail head pickups/dropoffs.
6. National Park shuttle service to get you to your trailhead after dropping your car at your exit point.(if applicable)
7. Hike the roads back to your car.

We used this last summer for our Canyonlands NP hike.  We put our cars at the end of the trail and then got shuttled to the beginning.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Mark a waypoint in the GPS.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Ummm, I walk.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When you park at Point A, hike to Point B, how do you get back to your vehicle at Point A where you parked?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Take Trail "C": A2+B2=C2

Quoted:
1. Pick a loop hike
2. Wife
3. Really good friend
4. bring a hiking friend with a car and leave one at the exit.
5. Use a shuttle service that specializes in trail head pickups/dropoffs.
6. National Park shuttle service to get you to your trailhead after dropping your car at your exit point.(if applicable)
7. Hike the roads back to your car.
All of the above are the more popular options.  Personally, when we do shuttles, I much prefer to park my vehicle at my destination and then shuttle to the start point.  It gives you more flexibility and I hate waiting on a shuttle after a lengthy hike (unless my destination has a bar)  A hiking buddy or two helps as you can drop off one vehicle and carpool to the start point and then just reverse carpool when finished.  As also mentioned, if you have family or a friend that could drop you off and pick you up that helps as well.  Without that assistance, you could hit the roads and hitchhike back (not really recommended).  For solo hikes, loop hikes are the easiest.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:49:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Stick out my thumb an hitch...works every time
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#15]
For long hikes I have a friend go with me and we both drive. Short ones I have hitched a ride. Usually just look for loops or out and backs
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're on a major trail like the AT, shuttles are the way to go... Park at your end point and walk back to your car so you aren't waiting on some strung out hippie in a Scooby van to get you back. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top