Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2017 5:40:38 AM EDT
Has anyone here done any long distance canoeing? In the future F would like to canoe the length of the Green River here in Kentucky.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#1]
21 miles with a overnight on the bank.  It was fun but flat water.  Had to paddle the whole way.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#2]
My oldest canoed part of the St Johns river here in CFL. 3 or 4 day trip. He was in really good shape (JR year of HS & baseball player), and he was amazed on how sore he was after, even his core.

ETA: They were cranking at 25-30 miles per day.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#3]
yes, 70 miles in 4 days
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#4]
DO IT!
I only regret the trips I didn't take. Like a multi day canoe trip.
I got to busy making money when young and now regret it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#5]
53 miles over 5 days as an adult with scouts in BWCA.  We did 14 miles on the last day.  Awesome trip.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I use to drift the Ogeechee river a week at a time during winter with my Dad.  We would sometimes work trap lines.  Fond memories!  If the mill he worked at was shut down he and my uncle would stay longer.  I would like to get back to it again.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I've done a 72 mile a couple times, pretty good 4-5 day trip depending on how much booze we bring.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#8]
If I remember correctly, we had a member who did a large portion of the midwest going through the locks etc. I'll try and find it.

ETA, it was Johnny Reno: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1788304_-ARCHIVED-THREAD----For-Post-50K---What-I-did-on-my-summer-vacation---Final-Day-posted-.html&page=1
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Personal best was 20+ miles in one day....well more like 5 or so hrs.

Planning for an overnight trip this spring. Gonna try for 40 miles or so.

Bought a canoe last year and going to buy some kayaks this year. Really like the canoe over a regular boat. Much less maintenance and no annual registration costs.

Very inexpensive recreation.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Three friends and I did 20ish miles in, 20ish miles out in the Boundary Waters, spread out over a week, the longest single day distance was around 13 miles, paddling the whole way. It was a blast, I'd do it again in the heartbeat. It was only about 2 weeks after the ice had melted that year, so the ~50 degree water meant there wasn't much swimming, but we fished quite a bit, and had a blast. Get at least one dry bag in case of a flip to protect any electronics as well as a dry change of clothes, and if you plan to portage much have as few bags as possible, other than that it's not much different than camping!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I did 14 days in a canoe on the Mississippi a couple years back.  Camped on islands, ate a lot of fish, drank a lot of beer.  Went through all the locks, including the 38 foot drop in Keokuk, even went over the spillway in Quincy.  To say it was an awesome trip would be a understatement.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did 14 days in a canoe on the Mississippi a couple years back.  Camped on islands, ate a lot of fish, drank a lot of beer.  Went through all the locks, including the 38 foot drop in Keokuk, even went over the spillway in Quincy.  To say it was an awesome trip would be a understatement.
View Quote
I was about to ask where you guys stay on these overnighters.  I would figure most land areas would be privately-owned or no camping allowed.  There was a story in GD a few years ago about a guy doing this and got shot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#15]
60+ miles on the Saar River from Saarbrücken to Konz, Germany, in 2 days. It was the July 4th weekend in 1994, IIRC. The Saar is more of a commerce river, with a lot of barge traffic, and we must have done at least a dozen portages around locks in those 2 days. With no whitewater and a slow current, we paddled the whole way, spending 10-12 hours per day on the water and camping on the shore.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here ya go.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1788304_For-Post-50K---What-I-did-on-my-summer-vacation---Final-Day-posted-.html

I'm planning on another trip this fall.  Goal will be a bit over 500 miles.  Not going solo this time.

I had originally planned to go last September, but my partner had health issues.

ETA:  Beat.
View Quote
Awesome thread!  Great writing style too.  Really enjoyed it!  Thanks for posting.

Recognize the area around Lacrosse.  Been on the river there with some of my wife's family.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:33:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Soooo much awesomeness.

An "early" adventure had me and my best friend spending a week or so canoeing half of NC on the Black River.  We camped out wherever was isolated, tried to stay below the high water mark and didn't leave any mess whatsoever.  We got schooled paddling against the tide on the lower Cape Fear though.

We also did a bunch of 3-5 day trips up or down the Intercoastal Waterway in NC.  That, my friend, is insanely fun.  We towed surfboards behind us in one trip and surfed a few of the isolated barrier islands.  Also  got in way over our heads crossing shipping lanes, in storms and thru big open water.

Did a bunch of great canoe trips on the Green and Colorado rivers when I was working at Canyonlands.  If you can swing the time, DO THIS!

I also did a 2 week long solo kayak (an inflatable so more like a canoe) trip down the Mekong a River in Laos and Thailand a few years ago.  That trip was terrifying and amazing.  I'll never forget paddling around the bend and seeing the city of Luong Pabrang disappear behind me.  There were no roads ahead and no going back for 300 miles.  I swam the first day through big class 3 rapids, prayed, ate ramen over bamboo fires every night, thought I saw a tiger, got arrested in Ventienne, then laid in Bangkok (not that difficult really).  

In short, canoe and kayak touring is a blast.

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#18]
In 2015 a buddy and I canoed 70+ miles on the Suwannee River in 3 days.  We did 23 the first day, 18 the second and 30 the 3rd day.  We pulled into the boat ramp at the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park on our last day next to a couple who said we looked like we did the 13 mile day trip that day.  We looked them right in the eye and said, "No, we did 30 miles today."  That dude was telling everyone he saw on the walk up the boat ramp that we had canoed 30 miles that day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]
When I was a boy scout we took a week canoe trip up in Ontario Canada a couple summers.  I don't know the mileage.  We were dropped off at point A by motor launch and had a week to get to point B for pickup.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#20]
11 days in the Boundary Waters area of Canada with Boy Scouts; one of the most memorable trips of my life. As a matter of fact, almost 2 decades later and I was JUST recounting a story from that trip to my wife 2 nights ago.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Back in 83' canoed the BSA Boundary Waters (Charles L. Summers Canoe Base back then) for two weeks.  Don't remember the distance but had great fun just before I went off to Basic/AIT.  Have done some team training using sea kayaks in the Gulf of Aqaba and Irish Sea while in the Army.  Always enjoyed the stories of the Rhodesian SAS and WWII use of kayaks.

CD
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Lewis and Shoshone Lakes in Yellowstone Park.  
13 miles each way.  Camped two nights on Shoshone Lake.
Almost the shortest trip in this thread, but the first one with pictures so I've got that going for me

Shoshone Geyser Basin.  It's a 9 mile hike from a road, or a 13 mile canoe trip.  I figured my feet would probably get tired, so I should try something different

Same trip, but not related to canoeing
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lewis and Shoshone Lakes in Yellowstone Park.  
13 miles each way.  Camped two nights on Shoshone Lake.
Almost the shortest trip in this thread, but the first one with pictures so I've got that going for me

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/brokowsj/IMG_0454_zpszkoaie9q.jpg

Shoshone Geyser Basin.  It's a 9 mile hike from a road, or a 13 mile canoe trip.  I figured my feet would probably get tired, so I should try something different
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/brokowsj/IMG_0155_zpsnpe8cqoh.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/brokowsj/IMG_0166_zps7dbkwran.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/brokowsj/IMG_0167_zpsalkb9n38.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/brokowsj/IMG_0173_zpsrckwwaj5.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/brokowsj/IMG_0204_zpswaccawdj.jpg

Same trip, but not related to canoeing
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/brokowsj/IMG_0431_zpsgpae05xn.jpg
View Quote
That is a great trip, I have done it several times.  That last mile of "uphill" canoeing gets pretty rough!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:52:43 AM EDT
[#24]
With a friend, canoed most of the way across Michigan, from Lansing down the Grand River to Lake Michigan, up the lake to about Muskegon, then (with a lift, owing to bad weather/unnavigable conditions on the "big lake", thence up the Big Manistee River to Grayling, portaged about 12 miles by local canoe ferry service, thence down the Au Sauble River to Lake Huron at Oscoda, +/- six weeks duration, my 16th summer, spent more time at the stern of an Aerocraft 17' aluminum canoe than behind the training wheel of a car... Seldom bothered with our army-surplus "pup" tent, slept without pads on the ground, cooked most food ("meals", too fancy a term...) in a sand-scrubbed, seldom-sanitized iron skillet on an open fire. Carried with our kit, my single-shot bolt action Marlin .22 rifle (probably quite illegally, but without notice/mention/problem). Turn two teenagers loose with a gun and no "adult" supervision today, and see what happens...Then, I did several local newspaper interviews, and two television guest appearances regarding our trip. Today, we, and our parents, would be crucified...
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:54:42 AM EDT
[#25]
In the path of totality in an unknown camp on the John Day Aug 21st, 14 miles, no water, drag the boats for10. Big smallmouth, worth the suffering!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top