Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2017 5:00:24 PM EDT
So ive tried hammock camping a few times and found i disliked the tent-like bivey.  It works well enough but is so claustrophobic inside.  So i was playing around recently and had an idea.

I took 2 carbon shaft arrows i had that were pretty old and i cut off both ends so i had clean edges.  What length you ask?  Well, my backpack has some aluminum extrusions in it as an internal frame.  I removed those and measured them.  So i cut the arrows so that i could install a nock in each end and get the same length.  These arrows will now replace the aluminum.   I weighed them and 3 arrow shafts are lighter than one extrusion.  

Now i have a carbon shaft with nocks on each end, so next, i tied paracord around the trees im hammocking between (basically just made a big loop) and then I clipped in the modified arrows, as close to each tree as i could.  This gives me a 22" flat above my hammock instead of the conventional '^' shaped roof.  I then secured my bivey with one side tighter than the other so the roof has a tilt to it, if it were to rain.  Inside i now have a lot of head space and 2 really strong carbon shafts to hang a light from, a towel, a shirt or anything else.

I found my frame pockets are capable of fitting 3 of these arrow shafts in each pocket.  So i now have 2 shafts with glued in arrowhead mounts and 1 with 2 nocks.  Trying to figure out what i could actually build with these that would be useful.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds clever. Pics would be nice when weather allows
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You obviously don't use a bug net, huh?  When I zip in its usually so dark I can't even see my tarp.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I tried creating something similar myself using arrow shafts, but found that the wind always picked up the side with the least slant. I'd like to create something with a flat "roof" and slanted sides to protect from the wind/rain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top