Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2017 12:26:28 AM EDT
Any backpacking tent recommendations?

I'm looking for a 2 person backpacking tent preferably less than 6 lbs.  Of course, I want to pay as little as possible (yes I understand the light, cheap, durable-pick any two...can't get all three....concept!).  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:04:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Winter or summer, and what is your budget?  Marmot Tungsten 2P is a great tent for under $200.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Sierra Trading Post has the Marmot Limelight 2 for $120 and Ajax 2 for $150.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]

How cheap? $22 cheap?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to post the Marmot Limelight 2.  If you can find it for $120 that's a HELL of a deal and you won't be disappointed.  I got mine for around $160 on an REI sale, and thought I got away with murder, since they are usually $250 or so

It's comparable in dimensions to REI's Half Dome 2 tent, but - to me at least- it felt like a ton more space.  That's because Marmot extended the sides out and the top to give you more room.  If I'm by myself I can put all my stuff inside the tent, or if I'm with my wife, there's a decent amount of room outside and under the rainfly we can use.  

The only thing I DON'T like about it, is that there's 3 sets of poles. 2 sets for setting up the tent as usual, and the 3rd one is a cross pole at top to help make things even wider.  While the rest of the tent can pack down fairly compact, more than what the factory says, this cross pole can stick out about 6" or so and that can be annoying.  Good thing is, is that you don't really need it when backpacking, and you still have the wide tent area, it just creates a bit of bonus room up top.  

Hope this helps.

PS:  I got the new version of the Limelight in the link above.  The older version is what Sierra Trading Post is selling it seems.  That looks about the same, but with a nice little port hole on the rainfly.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-limelight-2-tent-2-person-3-season~p~9688a/?filterString=s~marmot-tent%2F&colorFamily=01
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's been awhile since I bought any backpacking gear. I forgot about Sierra Trading Post. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Hammock
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#7]
You might keep an eye on Backcountry.com. They have Big Agnes closeouts from time to time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2.

Light, roomy, freestanding and its even olive green

Ive got the SL1 and its legit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 is a good tent for the money.   A little over 2 lbs

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Sierra Designs Flashlight 2 - $114 at Backcountry

I'm a big fan of this SD tent. My wife and I share it on backpacking trips, and it's been great. If you use trekking poles, the packed weight is right at 3lbs.
It's not freestanding, and getting a taut, ventilated pitch takes a bit of practice.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sierra Designs Flashlight 2 - $114 at Backcountry

http://content.backcountry.com/images/items/900/SDS/SDS007D/TAN.jpg

I'm a big fan of this SD tent. My wife and I share it on backpacking trips, and it's been great. If you use trekking poles, the packed weight is right at 3lbs.
It's not freestanding, and getting a taut, ventilated pitch takes a bit of practice.
View Quote

That's a freaking great deal.  Yes, it's not free standing, but at less than four pounds for a two-person tent at that price (on sale) is an excellent deal.  Split between two people is about two pounds, which is hard to beat.  Sierra Designs makes good stuff as well and with two people, I've always looked for the double doors and vestibules as it makes it easier for each person to store their stuff and get out or in without disrupting the other person.  You would be hard pressed to find many deals like this...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's a freaking great deal.  Yes, it's not free standing, but at less than four pounds for a two-person tent at that price (on sale) is an excellent deal.  Split between two people is about two pounds, which is hard to beat.  Sierra Designs makes good stuff as well and with two people, I've always looked for the double doors and vestibules as it makes it easier for each person to store their stuff and get out or in without disrupting the other person.  You would be hard pressed to find many deals like this...

ROCK6
View Quote

That split of weight somehow always ends up with the entire tent body in my pack, and the foot pole in my wife's.

A few more notes on this tent:
The tent is single-walled, and it's all once piece. Ventilation is from the foot and side doors - the head end is completely closed. It's designed to be set up with the foot facing into the wind. In that configuration, a breeze will blow in through the foot, puff the tend outwards a bit, and blow out through the side doors.
It needs 10 stakes to set it up, IIRC. Maybe 2-4 more for a high-wind configuration. SD supplies hexaganol aluminum shepherd's crook stakes. It's very easy to set up - my wife and I can set it up in about 90 seconds at a casual pace.
The "wings" on the left in that photo can be adjusted by snapping them to different points on the tent body (it's snapped to the middle setting in the pic). If you look below the door, there's a small black connector - if you snap the wing to that, it creates the largest vestibule and the most weather-tight setup. It's plenty big enough to store your pack.

ETA: Just weight mine:

Body in a stuffsack is 1411g. All the poles and stakes in their stuffsack, plus a couple spare stakes, is 458g.
That's a total of 4.2lbs.
The vertical poles are 174g, and can be replaced with trekking poles. That gets you down to 3.8lbs.

Heavier than I remembered.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any backpacking tent recommendations?

I'm looking for a 2 person backpacking tent preferably less than 6 lbs.  Of course, I want to pay as little as possible (yes I understand the light, cheap, durable-pick any two...can't get all three....concept!).  

Thanks.
View Quote

Look at the REI brand of tents. We have several very expensive backpacking tents, and REI tent we have is as good....but a lot less money.  Big Agnes also makes great tents, but to pay for them.  If it was me, depending on your budget and requirements....I would go with BA or REI.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hammock
View Quote

This... seriously get off the ground, and get a decent nights sleep already... I actually go camping to get good sleep, my bed I toss I turn I get up and roll. Hammock, I close my eyes, and wake up in the morning 100% refreshed... There is a learning curve, you will need to find the perfect setup, and tweak it to your liking, but once you dial it in? Your are talking 8 hours in a coma sleep...
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm very happy with my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 as a lightweight 3-season 1-2 man tent. Not too heavy to carry for solo trips, can fit 2 at a squeeze - usually me and my girlfriend so don't need much space, though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That split of weight somehow always ends up with the entire tent body in my pack, and the foot pole in my wife's.

The tent is single-walled, and it's all once piece. Ventilation is from the foot and side doors - the head end is completely closed. It's designed to be set up with the foot facing into the wind. In that configuration, a breeze will blow in through the foot, puff the tend outwards a bit, and blow out through the side doors.
It needs 10 stakes to set it up, IIRC. Maybe 2-4 more for a high-wind configuration. SD supplies hexaganol aluminum shepherd's crook stakes. It's very easy to set up - my wife and I can set it up in about 90 seconds at a casual pace.
The "wings" on the left in that photo can be adjusted by snapping them to different points on the tent body (it's snapped to the middle setting in the pic). If you look below the door, there's a small black connector - if you snap the wing to that, it creates the largest vestibule and the most weather-tight setup. It's plenty big enough to store your pack.

Body in a stuffsack is 1411g. All the poles and stakes in their stuffsack, plus a couple spare stakes, is 458g.
The vertical poles are 174g, and can be replaced with trekking poles. That gets you down to 3.8lbs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, tent construction really needs explanation because some are better than others depending on humidity, but single wall tents are about as light as you can go for most locations.  My Tarptent tents have the mesh interior as a second "wall", but help with our humid conditions.  I really only use them when temps are solidly below freezing.  You're spot on about air-flow; it's a must and it also helps with fighting condensation buildup inside the tent.  

Quoted:
This... seriously get off the ground, and get a decent nights sleep already... I actually go camping to get good sleep, my bed I toss I turn I get up and roll. Hammock, I close my eyes, and wake up in the morning 100% refreshed... There is a learning curve, you will need to find the perfect setup, and tweak it to your liking, but once you dial it in? Your are talking 8 hours in a coma sleep...

Absolutely agree.  Between my wife and myself, we have about a dozen hammocks.  About 7-8 months out of the year, we use hammocks; especially during our longer backpacking trips in the summer.  There is a learning curve, but the biggest (other than comfort) is cold weather.  Once you start adding under-quilts, the expense and weight can rival a top tier tent.  We use tents and go to ground when temps drop below freezing.  I've still did some hangs fine, but my wife just doesn't enjoy cold-weather camping...give her a hammock and a 100 mile section of the AT in June and she's perfectly fine

Some people just can't sleep in hammocks and others like the space of a tent.  I much prefer a hammock for all but very cold weather, but it definitely is something you need to test out before fully investing.  It is nice, since it's a "solo" shelter and that is one way to get your significant other or kids to carry their own weight

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#17]
SO and I are happy with our Big Agnes Mountain Triangle UL2. Its a discontinued model, but I would not hesitate to get one of BAs current models. Ours weighs about 2.5 lbs. She carries the tent/rain fly and I carry the poles, footprint, and stakes. Everything comes in its own rip stop nylon sack which is nice. Its held up well for two hard use seasons so far. Like camping every weekend from May to October in AZ/UT last year.  We will be using it to thru hike the AT this year.  

As far as sleeping on the ground, we both get great sleep using our thermarests, prolite plus. I can inflate mine with 10 breaths. Climb in my Sierra designs down bag and I'm out.

ETA: we got the tent on close out from REI and used the annual discount and, iirc, a gift card. We're in it for like $140.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a "schnozzle" for my inflatable mat, use it as the stuff sack for my sleeping bag but it allows me to inflate my mat quickly and without breathing into it - the moisture from your breath can deteriorate the innards
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#19]
4-1/2 lb, comes w/ foot print and $200 shipped to your door. I'm really happy with mine.

http://www.sunnysports.com/p-msrte2/msr-elixir-2-tent-with-footprint

Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a great tent and a great deal.   
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:17:39 AM EDT
[#22]
If the weather permits, who needs a tent? Sleep on the ground or use a hammock. Bivvies work. Tarps with hiking poles work, too. I guess it all depends on how much/far you're actually backpacking, what your comfort tolerance is, and what the rest of your gear can handle. I've slept on the ground in a DWR but not waterproof down bag in humid 20° nights a few times, and didn't get too wet or cold.

ETA: correcting autocorrect..
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:42:32 AM EDT
[#23]
You definitely want something lighter than 6 pounds if you're carrying it in a pack all day. I recommend a Big Agnes, but I currently use a REI tent that won't let me upgrade because it won't die (150+ nights in it).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top