Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2017 12:00:21 PM EDT
Happy New Year!

I received a Garmin 64s as a gift for Christmas and I am unable to load free topographic maps that are an .img file. The unit requires a .jpeg file but I am unable to convert the .img file to .jpeg file.

I have downloaded Garmin Express, Garmin Base Camp and GIMP file converter (recommended by Garmin)  but I am still having difficulty getting the topos to a point where I can view them on my computer or my Garmin.

If anyone has any experience with the Garmin 64s please chime in.

Thanks
AKASL
LIVE FREE OR DIE
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you get your free maps from?  .img extension is not an image file but an "image" of data.  Think of it as another form of compression like WinZip.

If I may suggest go over to: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/  Fine the state you want Topo maps for and download the maps from there, with their installer.  It will load the maps you want into Garmin's Basecamp program and then you can view them and work with them in Basecamp and then upload them to your GPS if you like them.  There is a lot of good data and tutorials on that site.

I have done the converting images from online maps sources and similar and loaded them into Google Earth then Basecamp and then into my GPSMAP 62s and was never satisfied with the results.  Getting them scaled and calibrated accurately was difficult and they never looked that good, especially when zoomed way in on your GPS unit.  The topo maps from the gpsfiledepot are excellent.  The data scales with the zoom level so even if you are zoomed way in the data is presented in a readable format.

If you do have an actual image file you are trying to turn into a map follow this link to Garmin's instructions on how to do it: http://www8.garmin.com/outdoor/custommaps_instruct.pdf.  You will need to get a copy of Google Earth.  Search for Google Earth Pro.  It use to cost money but Google made if free about a year ago and it has some nice upgraded over the old free version.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
As above, go to gps depot.  Follow instructions.  Very easy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:05:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As above, go to gps depot.  Follow instructions.  Very easy.
View Quote

Yep.  Follow the tutorials there.

Newer Garmin units, like your 64,  will also allow you to have multiple map files.  My old 60csx and Etrex units would not.  I had to carry separate SD cards. My Etrex 30 is my traveling GPS.  Got profiles and maps on it set up were I can use it in the rental care like a Garmin auto unit, then change a profile to offroad (topo maps) for woods use. GPSfiledepot also has transparent overlay maps for trails.  Those have about any hiking trail in the US on them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:27:00 AM EDT
[#4]
How did it work out?

On my Garmins, I have to select the correct "map" in the settings, it does not automatically load it unless told to.

WSS
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Any recommendations for a GPS under $200.  Just looking for something for backpacking with my family. The only GPS I have ever owned was a Garmin that I bought in 1996. I am looking at the ETrex 20x or 30x but not sure. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:18:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for a GPS under $200.  Just looking for something for backpacking with my family. The only GPS I have ever owned was a Garmin that I bought in 1996. I am looking at the ETrex 20x or 30x but not sure. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
View Quote

Was it a 45xl? White, bnc swivel antenna, loved that one.

Any direction you go, check craigslist when your ready to buy. Some good deal on lightly used gear sometimes
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
It was a Garmin GPS 38. I still have it and just turned it on. I am really leaning towards the 30X because it has the compass and it's a small unit my 3 year old will get a kick out of holding while we hike.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I went from the trusty 60csx to Etrex 20 (and 30) to save size and weight.  Could not be happier. Touch screen Garmins are kind of tough to see in broad daylight.   The joystick models I mentioned are really easy to read in sunlight. These 20/30's are discontinued models, but can be found for less than the price you mentioned, NIB.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Garmin base 64 model is still on sale at cabelas for $200...  I am tempted but don't really need another.

Here is another recent thread that I posted several reply's in:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/686931_Handheld-GPS.html

As far as maps go I use Garmins TOPO 2008. Its Garmins last program that allows you to load as maps on as many GPS units as you like.  100K maps from 2008 serve me just fine for my uses and will for another decade I am sure.

If you need more help shoot me a PM and I will try to point you in the right direction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top