Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2016 10:16:37 PM EDT
My grandson is 7 yrs old.  He likes the outdoors and does things with me and my wife outside.  I think it's time to get him a knife for Christmas.  I don't want to spend too much because it's likely that he'll lose it at some point.  But, I don't want a super knife cheap either.  

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Kershaw Onion or a Kershaw model.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kershaw Onion or a Kershaw model.
View Quote
Yeah. Some kershaw models have a spring assist. Just so you know. Not sure if that's a pro or con when we are talking about 7 year old

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Barlow

Its a classic first knife.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Case Small Stockman

I still have mine my uncle got me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Morakniv. Just had some on Amazon for $10. Nice bright red handle, sturdy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This or a good old basic Swiss Army knife.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Nephew is getting a plain edge Spyderco Manbug HAP40 for xmas, hope he likes it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Swiss Army tinker, cadet or a Spyderco ladybug?
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Lots of good recommendations.  Appreciate them!  

I'm thinking of just a basic small 2 or 3 blade Old Timer pocket knife.  Gotta show him how to use it too.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm thinking of just a basic small 2 or 3 blade Old Timer pocket knife.  Gotta show him how to use it too.
View Quote

This is very important. Knives, like guns, carry with them the responsibility of correct use. Use this gift as an opportunity for quality time with him. Give him a small Washita stone and show him how to use it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#11]
My Uncle gave me a Swiss Army knife when I was around 10.  I carried it for nearly 20 years until it was lost at an offshore oil rig in 1981.  I was upset at myself for being unable to find it.  I still carry a Swiss Army knife.  Wish that it was the same one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Barlow

Its a classic first knife.

View Quote

+1. My first knife ~40 years ago was an Imperial Barlow. I even managed not to lose it.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Something with a locking blade
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Take a look at an Old Timer Minuteman. It is more likely to fit into a 7 yo kids hands. Price should be reasonable. Less than $15 at Walmart

If you're looking for something a bit larger, Old Timer Senior might fit the bill. Less than $20 at Walmart.

Smoky Mountain Knife Works has a lot of different knives to choose from. Lots.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#15]
This. I got one for each of my boys (9 and 10). Fantastic knife and it looks just like dad's.

LINK
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Take a look at an Old Timer Minuteman. It is more likely to fit into a 7 yo kids hands. Price should be reasonable. Less than $15 at Walmart

If you're looking for something a bit larger, Old Timer Senior might fit the bill. Less than $20 at Walmart.

Smoky Mountain Knife Works has a lot of different knives to choose from. Lots.
View Quote

The Minuteman is what I am leaning toward with stainless blades.

Eventually I'll probably buy him something more expensive....maybe a Spyderco Delica...but for now I don't want to spend a lot because, like most boys, he'll probably lose it eventually.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went the Swiss Army route.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#18]
whatever one is biggest and looks most lethal.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#19]
My son was about the same age and I went through the same process of getting him his first knife.  A pocket/folder sounds nice, but my considerations were:

1. Learning how to safely use a knife
2. Learning how to maintain a knife
3. Learning how to sharpen a knife

I immediately dropped any non-locking blade folder and decided a fixed blade would fit those parameters better.  A fixed blade just helps to learn all the handling techniques and having a sheath is important to always put it away when not in use.  Maintaining is important as most kids are pretty forgetful and I debated between a stainless or carbon steel blade.  I settled on a carbon steel blade as failure to maintain would be clearly evident (I did eventually patina the blade).  Sharpening takes time to learn and my choice wasn't quite the best for a beginner, but it worked out okay.

I finally decided on the older Mora Clipper in carbon steel.  First, they were cheap, so I bought about a half-dozen in case he did lose his knife (which never happened).  I actually invested more in a quality Kydex sheath for both safety and to prevent loss. Mora's carbon steel blades don't rust immediately, but my son did put his knife away wet and not cleaned up...the failure was quite evident after a few days and he learned his lesson quickly; this also prompted me to show him how to force a patina on his knife for better corrosion resistance.  Sharpening was a difficult learning process at that age, but he learned the basics and having a zero-edge bevel reinforced the basics.  Using a butter knife to show why a sharp blade is safer was a good lesson.  He put a lot more effort with a dull butter knife and it slipped and slid off all cutting surfaces...seeeing how dangerous that would be with a sharper (but still dull) knife showed why a properly maintained and sharp knife makes its use much safer.

The most important aspect was learning to safely handle and properly use a knife.  Learning the handling techniques, making sure the knife goes in the sheath when not in hand and learning and practicing all the proper cutting techniques were much easier with a fixed blade.  

He quickly got his folding blades soon after; a locking SAK and a Benchmade Griptilian...both locking folders.  I just decided it was easier for him to learn with a fixed blade first.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I think an Esee Izula 2 would be a nice first knife
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
whatever one is biggest and looks most lethal.
View Quote

12", hollow handle, compass end cap, you get the picture....
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good choice. Lost my first knife I got in Boy Scouts in my late teens. It's replacement was a Swiss Army. I've since carried a AS for the last 40 years.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I got my oldest a knock off Swiss Army. I think it was a Mossberg branded knife at SMKW when he was six and starting in the Scouts.
$10 or so and if he lost it, I wasn't out much.
As he got older and received his the Whittling Chip I got him a Swiss Army Tinkerer. Still not out a whole lot if he loses it.

As he gets older he will get more expensive blades.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Either an ESEE Izula or Izula II.  

After being a dedicated folding knife guy for 40 years, I've just recently transitioned to carrying a fixed blade as my EDC.  While my preferred version is an ESEE Candiru, for a 1st knife I think the larger handle on the Izula series is better.  

I'll be buying one of these for my middle grandson's birthday next year.  Regardless of which one, it will have a TKC G10 set of scales for it.

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Bought the Minuteman today. It's small but I think it'll be good for a young boy to practice with.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I was gonna say a Buck 110, but too late.  I gave my 110 that I got for my 15th or 16th birthday to my daughter... I'm 54 now.  It's the only thing I have from that far back in my life.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:38:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was gonna say a Buck 110, but too late.  I gave my 110 that I got for my 15th or 16th birthday to my daughter... I'm 54 now.  It's the only thing I have from that far back in my life.
View Quote

My dad's favorite knife is the 110.  He gave me one once upon a time but I lost it

It's a classic but honestly it's a little large and heavy compared to the choices out there today.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My dad's favorite knife is the 110.  He gave me one once upon a time but I lost it

It's a classic but honestly it's a little large and heavy compared to the choices out there today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is, indeed.  I think that may be why I never lost mine!

I was also a fan of the Schrade Uncle Henry series while growing up, but I guess they've fallen out of favor now.  I am woefully behind on knife tech.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you didn't grow up watching the Dukes of Hazzard the Buck 110 doesn't inspire coolness the way some other pocket knives do.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#30]
110 and swiss army knife (especially victorinox) are always great knives for a gift, to be a keepsake/ momento type thing.

Also, with a suggestion, get disposable knife (i.e. cheap folder that won't get missed) knock the tip of and round it, leaving it dull and start the sharp edge back a little bit. Not a LOT, not like a safety knife or anything, but just enough a little slip is a poke instead of a stab.

My buddy did that with a work knife (tip was broken accidentally in his case) and it was actually pretty awesome as it was mostly used for opening stuff and prying under banding.

I figure it would work good as a starting point so young sir doesn't stick himself too bad, but still has a fully sharp functional blade.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll probably pick up some pine dowel rod for him to practice on. The Minuteman is a little small for a lifelong knife but I think it'll be a good starter knife. I may buy him a Spyderco Delica in a few years.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I would choose either a Swiss Army or Campers knife.  I still have my grandfathers campers Scout knife.  One often over looked item for a small child is a lanyard/bail loop.  Tie it off to the belt to prevent lose.  Then give him the proper training on use, care and sharpening of the knife.  One of the first steps in being an independent and resposible adult.

CD
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Case Small Stockman
View Quote

This or a trapper.

Couple years older and buy him a simple fixed blade kit to finish with you. Can even etch his initials on it, personalize the sheath, etc

Rockler has a decent kit for $15.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My grandson is 7 yrs old.  He likes the outdoors and does things with me and my wife outside.  I think it's time to get him a knife for Christmas.  I don't want to spend too much because it's likely that he'll lose it at some point.  But, I don't want a super knife cheap either.  

Recommendations?
View Quote

I see you have quite a few responses on this! So this may of all ready been covered!
If your Grandson had been using his own knife for a few years! (Yes at that age I had been.)
Sense it is his first knife, why not go with the stander ed folder of the boy-scout knife? No it not a bush knife or a survival knife! But it is, a bargainers knife!!!
That was one of my first knives!!!  He can cut with it. He can whittle wood/ make shavings for fire!!! It has a loop, which can help him from losing it!
You know your grandson better then any of us.  I just saw on this thread, knives that where to advance for someones first knife!!!  IMHO!

Let the hive know just what you got! As well as how he liked it!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Bought him the Old Timer Minuteman. Nice little knife. He loved it. I think it was his favorite gift. I didn't know it but he had asked his dad a couple days before for a pocket knife for Christmas. He carries it everywhere. We had to tell him to not take it to school though!!

One of his uncles told him that when he first cuts himself to take a picture and send it to him!

He hasn't cut himself yet.....although I'm sure it's coming......
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Something with a locking blade
View Quote

Unless it's a Swiss Army Knife, I say this wholeheartedly.  My sister, bless her soul, got my 7yo nephew a cheap multi-tool and in the 10min I saw him use it, that blade came back on him within millimeters of cutting his fingers.  I tried to teach him how to use it, but little kids don't have the dexterity in their hands like adults, and the first thing they do is wrap their hands around the handle or blade and push it instead of slicing, etc.  

A locking blade will mean you have to be around all the time so he can push the button to fold it back up, but that might be a good thing.  I've got a nice scar on the base of my pinkie finger where I almost sliced it off because I was too young and didn't use a folding blade properly.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bought him the Old Timer Minuteman. Nice little knife. He loved it. I think it was his favorite gift. I didn't know it but he had asked his dad a couple days before for a pocket knife for Christmas. He carries it everywhere. We had to tell him to not take it to school though!!

One of his uncles told him that when he first cuts himself to take a picture and send it to him!

He hasn't cut himself yet.....although I'm sure it's coming......
View Quote

Everybody will cut themselves at some point  Both my children, much to my chagrin, have scars from my knives...and I'm "Mr. Safety" all the time; crap happens eventually.  I really don't recommend slip joint knives as beginner blades.  Much depends on the sharpness of the knife and understanding the limitations to not overly stress during cutting.  Another reason I prefer fixed blades is that they don't require that level of dexterity and more importantly, it's nice to teach kids that when the knife is not in hand being used, it's put back in its sheath.  This always required supervision and repetition for me and my kids.  

I think slip joints (like the Old Timers and Barlow blades) worked so well for kids years ago was because our fathers and grandfathers used them daily and we were exposed to how they were used.  Knives are so taboo for kids these days, there's really know exposure unless it's by an adult in their family (and most broken homes don't place knife use very high on the list of growing-up lessons).

If I was starting over and putting a set of bladed tools in my kids' Christmas Stocking, they would be:

Mora fixed blade knife
SAK with a locking blade (I really like the old Rucksack, but any of the same-sized, one-hand-opening versions would work)
Folding saw like Bahco or even Opinal
Multitool, either the Leatherman Wingman or Sidekick

Ironically enough, I actually like the Buck 110 locking folder for youth.  If carried in a belt sheath, they are much harder to "forget" and carry to school.  This has happened a couple times with my son when using the more common "pocket tactical" folders with pocket clips.  It's so normal for many of us, but schools are stupid anal with their zero-tolerance policies against knives.  Having a locking folder is safer, and forcing it to be carried in a belt sheath reinforces much of the safety protocols as a fixed blade...and it's harder to forget about it when heading off to school!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

I spent a few minutes with the grinder and some files and took the edge and tip off of this.

Made my 2 year olds Christmas and screwed with the liberals that can't comprehend a child having a WEAPON.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#42]
My first knife was a double blade Old Timer pocket knife and then my second was a swiss army knife.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I just ordered a new knife for my 2nd oldest grandson (my son's oldest).  He's 13 on the 27th of this month, so not that young.  Knowing his mom, I'm positive this will be his first knife.
ESEE Izula II, OD Green blade with the survival kit.  I may be in the dog house for buying it for him, but at this point I really don't give a shit. 
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just ordered a new knife for my 2nd oldest grandson (my son's oldest).  He's 13 on the 27th of this month, so not that young.  Knowing his mom, I'm positive this will be his first knife.
ESEE Izula II, OD Green blade with the survival kit.  I may be in the dog house for buying it for him, but at this point I really don't give a shit. 
View Quote

All boys should learn how to use a knife. Important part of becoming a man. I can't wait to teach my grandson how to sharpen his knife. He's still a little young and lacks the hand/eye coordination yet but within a year or so we'll be sharpening his knife together. I plan to eventually get him a Spyderco Delica with a smooth blade but that's a year or two down the road.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

+1. My first knife ~40 years ago was an Imperial Barlow. I even managed not to lose it.
View Quote

I had that exact same knife. I got it for cheap at a trapping convention a few years back. I lost it this past summer at work. I think it must have slipped out my pocket when I was driving an atv or something. I still can't believe it, I loved that knife.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#46]
These are great knives and super inexpensive BUT they are some of the sharpest knives Ive ever had so be very careful!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good thinking pops 

Kenny onion is the best sub $150 edc knife In my opinion.  it is not the best idea to give a young kid a razor sharp speed folder as his first knife. 

I would look into a fixed blade. Possibly a small 2-3 blade folder.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#48]
This. My dad gave me and my brothers one when we were old enough. Good starter knife to teach kids about knife safety and all that good stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top