Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2016 5:00:19 PM EDT

Anyone here ever do any canyoneering? If you don't know what it is, it is hiking, downclimbing, rapelling, and sometimes swimming through a canyon and it is a blast. Here are a couple photos of my kids on a 130' rappel from yesterday's  trip out to the Superstition Mountains

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#1]
We did a trip to Utah this past spring break.  My son was watering at the mouth on some of the canyons and wanting to do some canyoneering.  The good news is he was just accepted to the Corps of Cadets in the University of North Georgia and they have a team that does a lot of mountaineering...he'll get some of the skills to do just that.  Very cool and it looks like your daughters had a blast!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:09:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but have not partaken in a a few years.. well since I got a engaged and married LOL.  As soon as I drop a few lbs I will hit a canyon again.

Some ive done in AZ.

Salome Jug a bunch of times
Hog Canyon(Roosevelt Lake)
James Canyon(Munds Park)
Christopher Creek(Just off of 260)
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, but have not partaken in a a few years.. well since I got a engaged and married LOL.  As soon as I drop a few lbs I will hit a canyon again.

Some ive done in AZ.

James Canyon(Munds Park)

View Quote

I think everyone has done the Jug...lol, but that was my first time ever doing it and my kids first trip too. It is a good one. I haven't heard of Hog Canyon. I will have to look that one up. One of these days I am going to to James. Christopher Creek is always a good one when the weather is hot here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think everyone has done the Jug...lol, but that was my first time ever doing it and my kids first trip too. It is a good one. I haven't heard of Hog Canyon. I will have to look that one up. One of these days I am going to to James. Christopher Creek is always a good one when the weather is hot here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some ive done in AZ.

James Canyon(Munds Park)

LOL.. the funny thing was we did James in late fall.  It was below freezing when we started.  My buddy brought a drysuit and Me and my other friend were in lowly 7mm, but it was fine.  It was gourgeous.  We also did not hike out kelly canyon, just before we reached kelly we went up the side of the canyon to the top and then I used my map and gps to routefind and we went cross country back to the car.

When we did Christopher last time it was cool and windy.  If you were in the sun it was fine but a couple of the cold blooded people in our group were not comfortable.  That canyon is a BLAST!!

Hog is great.  it is mostly dry with about 6-8 raps if i recall including an 80ft one.  If you ever watched dual survival in the first season or two, when they did AZ, that is the canyon they went down.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
LOL.. the funny thing was we did James in late fall.  It was below freezing when we started.  My buddy brought a drysuit and Me and my other friend were in lowly 7mm, but it was fine.  It was gourgeous.  We also did not hike out kelly canyon, just before we reached kelly we went up the side of the canyon to the top and then I used my map and gps to routefind and we went cross country back to the car.

When we did Christopher last time it was cool and windy.  If you were in the sun it was fine but a couple of the cold blooded people in our group were not comfortable.  That canyon is a BLAST!!

Hog is great.  it is mostly dry with about 6-8 raps if i recall including an 80ft one.  If you ever watched dual survival in the first season or two, when they did AZ, that is the canyon they went down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some ive done in AZ.

James Canyon(Munds Park)

I looked at my map of James and thought why not do what you guys did. Good to know.

I will have to look up the Dual Survivor episode...Thanks
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I reserve the fun of rappelling as a reward for climbing.

You back up your kids with a fireman's?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ever been canyoneering?!  the reward for rappelling is getting out of the canyon.  There is so much more involved than just raps.  Jumping, swimming, wading, natural water slides, hiking, and a good time with friends.

Here is one of the quintessential canyoneering trips here in Arizona.  It is a few mile hike to the start, then a mile or so down the canyon, then a 2 mile hike back to the car.  This one only has one optional rappell, you can jump too if you want, the pool is 30+ft deep.

Salome Jug.(this is not my video, just one random short one from youtube)

Sweet Arizona Canyoneering! Salome Jug
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of course
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top