Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2016 11:16:41 PM EDT
When I was young (in the 1960's) there was only one backpacker's dehydrated meal company that I remember.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the company.  It's driving me nuts.  Google searching is not helping.  I assume they're not in business anymore.

The most common meals that I recall were Beef Stroganoff and Chick a la King.  The meal kits (for 4) would come with the main course, a powdered fruit drink, and a desert (usually some kind of pudding).

Does anyone remember those and what the name of the company was?

Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Richmoor?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Richmoor is the one I remember from Boy Scouts in the 80s, but not sure how long they have been around.

"Wilson's Certified" made long-life foods in the 60s-70s, not sure if they were dehydrated or just canned and shelf stable.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:55:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Oregon Freeze Dry

May be this one?

In the 1960s, the U.S. military was looking to develop an individual ration that would be lighter than the old C and K rations, and taste better too. A company called Oregon Freeze Dry won the bid and to this day they continue to provide freeze-dried meals to U.S. Special Forces and other branches of the military. After the Vietnam War ended, Oregon Freeze Dry started selling their surplus freeze-dried meals to army surplus stores around the country. The meals quickly became popular among civilian outdoorsmen and adventurists. Seeing a business opportunity, Oregon Freeze Dry created a consumer division of their freeze-dried food business, and thus was born Mountain House. You’ve probably seen their iconic blue packages with a big mountain at your local outdoors store.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]
That four person meal setup was typical for Richmoor aka Rich-Moor.  They were still doing it into the mid to late 2000's.  They re-branded to Natural High by Richmoor and got in line with the more typical 1 to 2 person sized meals.

I just dont know when they started doing it, but they have been around for a long time.. I know the early 70's for sure.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent!

That's it.  Richmoor.

My oldest friend from scout days (1964 to 1967) mentioned that he was making beef stroganoff for dinner.

I got to remind him of the meals we used to have when backpacking and neither of us could remember the brand name.

Thanks for helping the old brain cells.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]

So, any of you other old-timers know where to find a Bacon-Bar?  Freeze-dried bacon pieces pressed into a candy bar shape.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So, any of you other old-timers know where to find a Bacon-Bar?  Freeze-dried bacon pieces pressed into a candy bar shape.
View Quote

First you had my curiosity, now you have my attention
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too!  I am hot on the trail.. It seems it was "space food" for astronauts so im betting at one point it was a novelty item.  ETA: Turns out it was not just faux space food, it was used on Apollo missions!  https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/space-food-bacon-bars-apollo-17-white

This is a photo of a freeze dried bacon bar.

ETA #2:

Found this..  interesting.  not dehydrated and you carve off what you want to eat as it is too dense to gnaw on.  of course they dont make them anymore.  Up through the late 70's maybe early 80's
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

NICE!!!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Awesome! I am going to give the Boar & Bacon and the Venison, Sea Salt & Black Pepper a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top