Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2016 10:29:58 AM EDT
I have accumulated a fair number of sleeping bags but I have very limited storage space inside my small townhouse.  I started using the large Ziploc style vacuum sealed bags to store hunting clothes last season, and I'm pretty happy with how that turned out -airtight container plus significantly reduced storage space.

Any issue with storing my synthetic fill sleeping bags in the same manner?  My only concern is any possible effects of long term compression on the fill?  My gut feeling is "no problem", but I thought I'd ask just in case I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
It's going to convert the fibers to concrete........  Is this really a serous question..

smaller the better....  most of the high end bags  have what's called a crush sack   to get as much air out of it as possible  

Quoted:
I have accumulated a fair number of sleeping bags but I have very limited storage space inside my small townhouse.  I started using the large Ziploc style vacuum sealed bags to store hunting clothes last season, and I'm pretty happy with how that turned out -airtight container plus significantly reduced storage space.

Any issue with storing my synthetic fill sleeping bags in the same manner?  My only concern is any possible effects of long term compression on the fill?  My gut feeling is "no problem", but I thought I'd ask just in case I'm missing something.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
My military bivy sac and 2 bags says NOT to store compressed as it will lose loft and effectiveness. it is on the bottom part of the crush sack(I like my id10T instructions...)

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's going to convert the fibers to concrete........  Is this really a serous question..

smaller the better....  most of the high end bags  have what's called a crush sack   to get as much air out of it as possible  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a serious question being posted in a technical forum.  I've heard keeping some fibers compressed for long periods of storage can affect their loft and therefore ability to trap air.  

Please note I'm not talking about stuffing a bag in a compression sack for a trip out in the field.  I'm talking about long term storage.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My military bivy sac and 2 bags says NOT to store compressed as it will lose loft and effectiveness. it is on the bottom part of the crush sack(I like my id10T instructions...)

View Quote

good to know.  I'll pull some of the bags and check labels.  Thanks for a serious response.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Before I knew better, I stored sleeping bags in compression sacks 24/7. I still have many of them and the only thing I notice is that it can take a significant about of time for them to regain their loft.

I wouldn't hesitate to store them in a vacuum bag, just know that it will take a few days for it to regain full loft.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If I were you I would make a bunch of sleeping hangars out of dowel rods and then make a closet rod up close to the ceiling and hang them all up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Sleeping bags..especially expensive ones, should be hung up and stored loose as it wil compress the loft and you will lose insulting value when you need it..........they can be put in the dryer with a half dozen tennis balls to beat it back into shape.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
No that's a really bad idea

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I were you I would make a bunch of sleeping hangars out of dowel rods and then make a closet rod up close to the ceiling and hang them all up.
View Quote

This is how you should keep your sleeping bags. They will last forever this way.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sleeping bags..especially expensive ones, should be hung up and stored loose as it wil compress the loft and you will lose insulting value when you need it..........they can be put in the dryer with a half dozen tennis balls to beat it back into shape.
View Quote

I apparently have plenty of insulting value to go around.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I hang my sleeping bags when not in use .  Manufactures say not to leave compressed long term..  I do have one bag that stays in my 24 hour pack in a compressed state so that it is always ready.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Under the bed is a great storage spot for sleeping bags and self-inflating air mattresses (stored with the valve open), unless you have cats.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#13]
No sleeping bag is going to do well if stored compressed over long periods of time.  I would invest in two models of the same bag and just rotate every six months. For home storage, you want to make sure they're clean, dry and not stored compressed.  There are several ways to do it, but it's important for the loft and life of your sleeping bag.  If you invest $500 in a Western Mountaineering bag, you'll most likely take care of it. But if you buy an excellent-value Wiggy's bag, you will want to do the same...and poorly maintained and stored bag will significantly lose it's loft and "comfort rating".  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#14]
There is at least one manufacturer who has done it, of which I know.   It is effective is certain military applications.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I use a extra large mesh laundry bags to store all sleeping bags in long term. Hang them in a closet.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There is at least one manufacturer who has done it, of which I know.   It is effective is certain military applications.
View Quote

Wiggy's?  I have a Wiggy's bag. I believe the manufacturer states it's okay to be stored compressed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top