Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2016 5:45:51 PM EDT
PSA - these hammocks are on sale everywhere this weekend.  I took the plunge and ordered one to check out ....$187 for a complete system including suspension and tarp...and it all weighs less than 2lbs.

Here's a review on one:

You might notice a resemblance to the warbonnet blackbird.  Warbonnet did too, which is why Nemo isn't making these anymore... hence the fire sale.

Things to consider:. Length appears to be about 9ft...pretty short, but I'm hoping that's offset by the foot box. Worst case...my wife can use it.  Also, the straps are short (8')...I'll probably buy some new ones from dutchware.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
PSA - these hammocks are on sale everywhere this weekend.  I took the plunge and ordered one to check out ....$187 for a complete system including suspension and tarp...and it all weighs less than 2lbs.

Here's a review on one:

http://sectionhiker.com/nemo-tetrapod-hammock-review/

You might notice a resemblance to the warbonnet blackbird.  Warbonnet did too, which is why Nemo isn't making these anymore... hence the fire sale.

Things to consider:. Length appears to be about 9ft...pretty short, but I'm hoping that's offset by the foot box. Worst case...my wife can use it.  Also, the straps are short (8')...I'll probably buy some new ones from dutchware.  
View Quote

When you say everywhere...do you have a link?

I trashed my hammock fighting out of it to get my pack back from a bear Saturday night in high peaks at Marcy Dam and thus am in need of replacement.

ETA, found it @Rocky Mountain Trail. got a 10 dollar gift card and shipping.  They had two in stock per website.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I trashed my hammock fighting out of it to get my pack back from a bear Saturday night in high peaks at Marcy Dam and thus am in need of replacement.

ETA, found it @Rocky Mountain Trail. got a 10 dollar gift card and shipping.  They had two in stock per website.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a review on one:

http://sectionhiker.com/nemo-tetrapod-hammock-review/

Forget the hammock, I want to hear this bear story!  Was your pack strapped to a tree?  Below your hammock?  

I'm always scared something is going to run off with my shoes at night (I invariably drip whatever I'm eating that night on them so this fear is rational) - imagine hiking 10+ miles out barefoot.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Below my hammock.  Like 2 feet from me.  I had all my smellables in a barrel that was out of camp but those bears just assume if its a pack it has food.

It was a friggen circus.  The first night was bad but we didn't have bear come in.  Like all night people yelling at bears. One ran a bunch of people out of a leanto.  High Peaks was packed to gills with people and there had to be 30 different campsites at Marcy dam.  
We did wright mountain slide climb then stayed overnight and did trapdike to colden slide.  The second night it was even worse.  Like just stupid.  We should have packed up but it was late and we were bushed from colden slide.  

It was like 10 pm? I was in my hammock and I hear my rain fly move and looked out and saw the bear like right fucking there two feet from me trying drag off my pack.  I am on a tight budget and like I was frustrated with the whole fucking deal with people an bears and shit and I just was like "Fuck you bear you aren't getting my pack" I guess I couldn't get zipper going (I don't remember tearing the net and zipper) so I tore the shit out  of the netting and zipper and started hitting the bear with a stick while grabbing my pack.  Literally the stupidest thing I could have done but I was fucking pissed and just raged.  It pulled pack out of my hand and started to shuffle backward when pack got hung on tree branch. I hit it with the stick a couple more times and called it every name in the book and it turned and ran.  

Then the shakes and giggles came.  I rolled a smoke and just sat there with my tiny ass knife for most of the night waiting for the fucking thing to return. We packed up early then hit trail back to car and I got to rock climb for the first time. Did Owls head which was fun.

Crazy weekend.  Fucking bears man.

Like I have had a ton of interaction with black bears growing up in the Catskills.  I ave three rugs on my wall from taking bears.  I have never seen this level of behavior.  Not even dump bears are this bold.  Completely unsafe. Never again camping in high peaks unless its way off grid.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, that's bad.  

Was the area you were in protected from hunting?  My ass-umption has always been that (edit:  Black bears, on the East coast) bears in protected areas are dangerous but bears in non-protected areas will generally leave you alone.  Stupid question (can't believe I'm asking this but we're talking about NY):  are you allowed to have bear spray or a fixed blade knife?

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow, that's bad.  

Was the area you were in protected from hunting?  My ass-umption has always been that (edit:  Black bears, on the East coast) bears in protected areas are dangerous but bears in non-protected areas will generally leave you alone.  Stupid question (can't believe I'm asking this but we're talking about NY):  are you allowed to have bear spray or a fixed blade knife?  
View Quote

By the time the season is open they will have moved on.  

I had a fixed blade albeit small one. Problem was it was on the strap of my pack...

Bear spray is legal IIRC but I didn't pack any because I have never had situation like this.  Like we read up on high peaks and made sure we had bear can.   Like we did 7 days on trail in western ADK and the only bear we saw was hauling ass away from us 1 time just before the end of trail.

This was like yogi bear type stuff.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow.  I'm going backpacking next weekend.  Closest thing I ever had like that was when I woke at 2am and felt something walking under my hammock.  I gave it a hard elbow, and realized it was a big dog that had found our camp.  For a bit I was convinced I was gonna be a bear taco.  Glad you are ok and saved the pack.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a thread on Whiteblaze with people giving their crazy hammock-animal encounters.  My two favorites:

1.  Guy is sleeping in his hammock, which is set up on a slope.  Bear running down the slope doesn't see the hammock and clotheslines itself at 2am.  

2.  Guy hears something rustling through his gear, swats at it, gets bitten by a raccoon which won't let go of his hand... wrestling match in hammock ensues and he hikes out in the middle of the night to find a hospital to get a rabies shot.

Wife and I swear we had a Mountain Lion encounter in the middle of the night in Southwest VA on the AT last year.  If you've ever heard a female ML call you know how freaky it sounds...
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Hammock arrived last night.  Quick look:

First, the hammock is dark (Ranger?) Green as opposed to the standard color Nemo normally uses.  I actually prefer this color.  The hammock as you see it below is using some 15' dutch straps with dutch clips.  The included 8' straps are too short and I wouldn't have been able to set the hammock up between these two trees with them.

It's rated to 300lbs according to the literature, which is surprising for a lightweight single-layer hammock.  Material looks to be a good quality ripstop.  I was worried that it might be too short (I'm 6'0"), but I was able to lay comfortably flat in it.  If you're much taller than that, you might have problems.

The tarp is small to save weight, but it looks like it will have great coverage - notice the small "doors" on the ends.  These snap closed.  They're apparently supposed to be water breaks (and I think they'll do that), but also provide some additional coverage.  As with the hammock, the suspension hardware is so-so and I'll probably replace it (you can see I have it set up on a dutchware continuous ridgline below).  

I read in the review link in my original post that the tarp uses an expanding thread which doesn't need seam sealing.  I seam sealed it anyways.

Weight was 2lbs 5oz for everything (it comes with a nice bishop bag) and six eight heavy duty stakes which I'll probably replace.  For the price and the weight, I think it was a good buy.

Picture of right side (head end on left):

Picture of left side (head end on right):

With included tarp up:

Other side:

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Everywhere I see it is for $249.  Link please?

Wouldn't mind picking one of these up for the boy...
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
What's the width on the buckles?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
They're 1", so any of the aftermarket straps should work fine.  I used a set of Dutchware straps:

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/tree-straps.html

The buckles themselves look like the cinch buckles Dutch sells, only they're blacked out.

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Everywhere I see it is for $249.  Link please?

Wouldn't mind picking one of these up for the boy...

View Quote
It was a Labor Day sale.  I got mine from Moosejaw, but they seem to be back up to the normal price.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They're 1", so any of the aftermarket straps should work fine.  I used a set of Dutchware straps:

The buckles themselves look like the cinch buckles Dutch sells, only they're blacked out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was planning on going to d ring buckle from my bargain basement harbor freight Cinch straps  I think I can reuse the straps from old set up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top