Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2016 12:17:43 PM EDT
Next month my son is going to hike part of the Appalachian Trail. He's planning on starting in North Carolina and head South. Does anyone have any experience with that part of the trail, and could you recommend some decent footwear? Why we're at it, any suggestions on any other equipment that would benefit him, things that a rookie would tend to overlook? He's 23 and has experience hunting and camping, as well as day hiking, so he's no stranger to the outdoors, but no experience with this type of adventure. He'll also be accompanied by a friend of my youngest son, who has hiked part of the trail before. They plan to be out two weeks. Thanks for any experience and advice you can share.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Boots:
Danner
Lowa

Socks:
Darn Tough
Fits
Injinji (under)

I have no experience with that trail.

My experience is that most people bring way too much junk and not enough water or food.
Plan each meal for each day and have some water purification tabs for if you get in a pinch.
Have a set of spare clothes in a dry bag.
Keep the sleeping bag in a dry bag.
Have  a water proof cover for your bag and a poncho (+ for a poncho that goes over the pack)

(I dont like being wet)
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Have your son go to an REI or similar store and start trying on boots/shoes. What works for some doesn't for others. I am a fan of Keen and Altra since I have a wide toe box. Brands like Merrell and Salomon don't work for me at all. As long as he sticks with a quality brand that fits he will be good to go.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]

I am unfamiliar with the North Carolina section of the AT but I have hiked an extensive section of the trail in Virginia.

Some good advice already given but I'll add some specifics things that have helped me.

I would recommend Asolo Fugitive GTX boots. They are expensive but should give several years of heavy hiking service.  Avoid Merrells - many people tell newer folks setting out to get them but they are too flimsy to stand up to heavy use (I like Merrells as everyday shoes but they shouldnt be considered for serious hiking). I am unimpressed with the durability of Keens as well but my sample size is only one pair of those. Another arfcommer who I hike with a lot really likes Danners and they seem to have held up well for him.

I would recommend hiking poles. They are sort of a personal preference thing but they can absolutely aid in both speed and stability over rough ground. If your son has never used them before, I would recommend a practice hike or two with a cheap $20-30 pair to get a feel for them - you will burn more calories using them so should expect to carry a little more food. I say get a cheap pair at first because I snapped my first pair because I wasn't used to them. Once familiar with the poles I would switch to a good brand like Leki. A cheap pair might last him the two weeks though.

He should carry salt/electrolyte pills in his first aid kit. They work wonders if you get dehydrated. I would also highly recommend a LED headlamp - that might be common sense but I have been thankful I had mine on several occasions when it wasn't expected.

As far as attire I wear underarmour underwear (the mesh kind - puts an end to chaffing), 5.11 taclite pro pants (they are much more durable than the REI branded hiking pants), breathable shirts (i like mountain hardware but they are hard to find), and like the poster above mentioned: wool socks - they are a godsend when wet.

I have found that the above outfit dries very very quickly when wet and the two guys I hike the most with have also adopted some variation on that theme.

Here is a very helpful thread member lrrp posted a couple of years ago:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1609811_.html
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife and I recently hiked through that section.  I switched to Salomon shoes and have had zero issues.  I would avoid heavy, clunky footwear; it's not needed as the trails are pretty well kept and the terrain for the most part is not severe.

We hiked north along the NC/TN border in June and water was okay, but getting slim. June wasn't so bad for a 80+mile section, and we did anther 35 miles in July. Make sure they have the latest trail guide books that highlight the springs...some have dried up.  We always kept at least two liters of water on us, but after this last trek in July, I would recommend filling up at every spring and trying to maintain about 3 liters of water.

No need to pack a ton of clothes, but I would keep a dry set of sleeping clothes and pack 2-3 pair of extra socks to rotate and keep your feet dry.

I highlighted our gear from our longer trip in June here:  AT Section Hike AAR

The biggest challenge is really planning daily hiking distances, making sure water sources are mapped, and making sure those distances are comfortable enough to repeat every day without tearing up feet or beat the body up too much.  Much depends on your son and his friend and their conditioning.  My wife are in decent shape, however we always try to start a longer hike with a couple of 10-12 mile days to break ourselves in slowly and then work up to the 15 mile-days (or more if necessary).  If they are in good shape, 15-18 miles a day is average with a few hitting 20-22 miles, which can be brutal to maintain unless you're in peak conditioning.  

ROCK6

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would recommend Asolo Fugitive GTX boots. They are expensive but should give several years of heavy hiking service.  Avoid Merrells - many people tell newer folks setting out to get them but they are too flimsy to stand up to heavy use.   Another arfcommer who I hike with a lot really likes Danners and they seem to have held up well for him.

I would recommend hiking poles.
View Quote
Those Asolo boots are excellent.  They fit me better than most others.  I used to use Danner all the time but now think Asolo has passed them and are better.  Whatever you use go to a store like REI where you can make sure they fit.  

I know I am much older than your son.  66 and have been hiking since I was a kid.  First overnight hike on the AT was at 11 years old.  I have hiked over 1500 miles of the AT.  I now use poles all the time.  

Just last weekend I hiked over 30 miles in the Charles Deam Wilderness Area in Hoosier National Forest.  Half day on Friday, full day Saturday and till noon on Sunday.

I believe that for packs and boots it is a must to go to a store where you can try  them.  Be sure the store has weights when you try out the pack.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't see any need for boots for hiking/packing in the Southeast, any time of the year, unless you're tromping through mud, and then I'd recommend a different kind of boot. Good non-Gore-Tex hiking shoes will be fine, and his feet will stay much cooler, and socks will last longer before becoming saturated with sweat. No cotton socks. Either synthetic or wool of appropriate weight. Someone said 2-3 changes, I think that's fair. I'd bring more because I have sweaty feet. I've hiked portions of the AT in Georgia, N. Carolina/Tennessee, and Maine. My shoe of choice for longer trips (heavier pack) is the Sportiva Boulder X with Superfeet. They're stiff, supportive, and comfortable. I'm biased, though, and wear them pretty much everywhere - I'm on my second pair in four years.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for trail runners (no Gore-tex).  
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I like Keen. They are the most comfortable, are reasonably priced and hold up well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Trail runners that are correctly shaped for his foot and gait.

I suffered for years with heavy boots before I knew better. Then I smartened up and got trail runners. Then I got even smarter and went and got fitted for running shoes.... haven't had a blister or knee pain since.

Also, pack light. Aim as close as you can to 30lb wet (or less)... remember, your days are going to be spent walking... not sitting in a blind or camping. Everything you put in the bag adds to your misery while walking.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#10]
One more vote for trail runners. And cut every pound he can, it adds up stupid fast. Less weight, more fun, less foot problems
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top