Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2016 3:31:07 PM EDT
I subscribe to backpacker magazine and they are hosting an AT in a Day event on August 20th. I just figured I would put the information up here in case any of you wanted to participate.

AT in a Day

I signed up for the Harpers Ferry to Potomac River and the Potomac River to Crampton Gap sections.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Wish I lived closer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]

The Backpacker site will forever give my iPad the AIDS so I can't read the details right now.  Thanks for posting this, I'll be sure to check it out.

If any Arfcommers are thinking about beginning or ending in the Smokies I'll try and get out and say hey.

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I subscribe to backpacker magazine and they are hosting an AT in a Day event on August 20th. I just figured I would put the information up here in case any of you wanted to participate.

AT in a Day
I signed up for the Harpers Ferry to Potomac River and the Potomac River to Crampton Gap sections.
View Quote
I just did the section from Harper's Ferry to Crampton Gap about a month ago. Easy hike, but scenic. There is a side trail that goes to the right once you get to the top of the ridge hiking up from the Potomac that goes out to a very nice overlook where you can look back and see Harpers Ferry about 5 miles (iirc) distant.

Eta: I believe the overlook is called Weverton Cliffs.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just did the section from Harper's Ferry to Crampton Gap about a month ago. Easy hike, but scenic. There is a side trail that goes to the right once you get to the top of the ridge hiking up from the Potomac that goes out to a very nice overlook where you can look back and see Harpers Ferry about 5 miles (iirc) distant.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AT in a Day

I just looked at the site.  It shows the Potomac River to Crampton Gap section not taken.  I was thinking about doing that one.  Just finished 3 days in Deam Wilderness in Hoosier National Forest.  Over 25 miles hiking and playing with the amateur radio.  This is in the ham forum.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah. I submitted it but the site never updated. I emailed them about it and am waiting for a reply.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah. I submitted it but the site never updated. I emailed them about it and am waiting for a reply.
View Quote
I see there are now 2 registered for that section.  If I was closer I would take a section.  Since just getting home from a 3 day trip my wife doesn't really want me to leave again this weekend since we have several other events.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I might see how things look closer to the 20th. Whole lot of area in VA still not claimed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't believe nobody has registered for the roller coaster yet...
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I can't believe nobody has registered for the roller coaster yet...
View Quote
Lol. I noticed that too and its because that thing is a bitch.

I do all of my hikes on the AT as in and outs and when I did the roller coaster I did it twice in one day, I think it was like 17 or 18 miles. That was one of the toughest hikes I have ever done. It about killed my buddy who was with me.

Eta: I had no idea what the roller coaster was at the time - only that this was a section I hadn't done yet. It was actually a few years later I learned there was a name for it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Tomorrow is the day, so who all is heading out?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I wasn't able to go unfortunately.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I made it out. Counted roughly 26 people out on the actual trail and countless more once I hit the C&O Canal. Harpers Ferry was extremely packed as usual for a Saturday.

Overall, a good hike that I managed to pull off in roughly 4.5 hours, which included a good break at Weaverton Cliffs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I made it out. Counted roughly 26 people out on the actual trail and countless more once I hit the C&O Canal. Harpers Ferry was extremely packed as usual for a Saturday.

Overall, a good hike that I managed to pull off in roughly 4.5 hours, which included a good break at Weaverton Cliffs.
View Quote
Glad to hear it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top