Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2016 9:35:42 PM EDT
Anyone have a summer, fall, winter bag setup?

I have a Snugpak Jungle Bag which is way more than enough for Florida summer camping, and it reviews as being good enough down to about 45F.

I'm thinking of getting the Snugpak Nautilus for those camping trips where night time temps might be between 30F and 45F.

I'm thinking of the Nautilus in the sense that I could possibly use the Jungle Bag inside the Nautilus to create a 'bag' that could perhaps go into the teensF, ala the MSS cconcept.

Edit: This way I avoid paying for a third bag and these two bags pack down smaller than a bigger cold bag.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
One thing you'll need to take into account when nesting bags like that is whether you'll wind up compressing the insulation in one or both bags. Doing so will negate much of the value of the additional bag.

An alternative is to use something like a Hill People Gear Mountain Serape as an overbag. With the MS you zip up the footbox and place your sleeping bag inside it, then lay the rest of the MS over top of your bag. This does not compress the inner bag's insulation. You also get the versatility of the MS, which can be worn like a greatcoat or used like a quilt by itself.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, with any bag you really just have a full circumference blanket right?  The bottom is crushed regardless, hence the constant recommendations to have a pad and/or air mattress.

What temperature expectations might you have when sliding a 45deg bag into a 28deg bag?

20F?
15?
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I would rather just get an extra bag and/or quilt and try to choose the best tool for the job. If its gonna be super cold then get a better pad. Also look into foam yoga mats to go under you blow up pad.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps a quilt would be better for layering?  It is not a fixed circumference.  For the record, I've never tried it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The Jungle Bag does open up as a quilt .... hmmmm.

In the meantime I found this online just now:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/297-Combined-sleeping-bag-temperature-rating

A lot depends on how well they go together... if one restricts the other from full loft then you won't get a lot of gain...

First estimate take the send bag reating subtract it from 70, devide that number by two and then subtract it from the first bag rate for a combined value ex

Two 40 degre bags... 70-40 =30 devided by 2 =15 subtracted from other bag 40-15=25 for a first cut estimate of the combined bags... it may actually be better but probably not worse, so this works as a good conservative estimator, IMHO.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top