Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2016 10:31:07 AM EDT
So after a lifetime of purchasing and sleeping in budget tents, I finally decided to pick up a decent tent (4-person Cabelas Alaskan Guide). I had grabbed a Kelty Yellowstone 4 tent a few weeks ago, but decided to return it before I'd used it and bite the bullet and get a better quality tent for a change. The local Cabelas only had their display model in stock, and after we placed the order for the new one it said "backordered". Still... I'm pretty stoked to be getting a heavier-duty tent, and I got it for a sale price of $262 (regularly $349). It may not be my "ultimate dream tent" (nice canvas wall tent)... but unlike that heavy pig I could still pack this one a ways into the back country.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Alaskan-Guide-Geodesic-Tent-with-Fiberglass-Poles-Person/714588.uts?productVariantId=1634728
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]
In my experience those are pretty nice tents.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Glad to hear it. There were like 417 reviews and the vast majority seemed very positive. Even those who had issues, had been using their Guide tents for so long that they planned to buy another or already had. This tent will be about twice as heavy as the three-season Kelty that I returned... but it will likely last many years longer. It's about 20# so is a bit on the heavy side for backpacking... but I've got a little sub-4# Coleman 2-man tent for that if I need to carry it a long ways. This tent is more for car-camping or short hauls. I plan to use it for some MT winter camping as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You dont have an REI near you?

if you did, then you could buy whatever you want, use it and still return it within the first year if it's not holding up to your rigors..
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Glad to hear it. There were like 417 reviews and the vast majority seemed very positive. Even those who had issues, had been using their Guide tents for so long that they planned to buy another or already had. This tent will be about twice as heavy as the three-season Kelty that I returned... but it will likely last many years longer. It's about 20# so is a bit on the heavy side for backpacking... but I've got a little sub-4# Coleman 2-man tent for that if I need to carry it a long ways. This tent is more for car-camping or short hauls. I plan to use it for some MT winter camping as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For car camping or in my case boat based hunts it worked great and withstood some very crappy windy wet weather.  Its a proven tent in some if the worst weather alaska has to dish out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For car camping or in my case boat based hunts it worked great and withstood some very crappy windy wet weather.  Its a proven tent in some if the worst weather alaska has to dish out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to hear that. It's definitely what I was going for.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

if you did, then you could buy whatever you want, use it and still return it within the first year if it's not holding up to your rigors..
View Quote

Wow... that sounds like a great policy! I live in MT, so I don't have an REIs near me. Cabela's, Sierra Trading Post, Scheel's, and Bass Pro Shops here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#7]
There's one in Bozeman and one in Missoula.

You can even buy it online and take it back to the store if there is a problem.  (it requires a one time membership fee to join the Co-Op - I joined 24 years ago)
every purchase made at REI or REI.com of a full price item (not sales items) will earn you up to 10% in a dividend given in store credit every April.
there have been years when my dividend was over $500.  (if you don't spend your dividend by June, they will mail you a check for the value.)
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You can even buy it online and take it back to the store if there is a problem.  (it requires a one time membership fee to join the Co-Op - I joined 24 years ago)
every purchase made at REI or REI.com of a full price item (not sales items) will earn you up to 10% in a dividend given in store credit every April.
there have been years when my dividend was over $500.  (if you don't spend your dividend by June, they will mail you a check for the value.)
View Quote

Hmmm... good to know. I'm going to be in Bozeman next month, so I'll have to look for the REI and stop in there. I go there about twice a year, but was unaware that there was an REI there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Very good tent that will stand up to a lot of abuse.

Relatives and friends have them and use the heck out of them.

Been looking to get the 8 person for my family camping/hunting tent.

Already have a couple of canvas tents but want something easier to set up.

Would love to have a Arctic oven tent but that is on the wish list.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very good tent that will stand up to a lot of abuse.

Relatives and friends have them and use the heck out of them.

Been looking to get the 8 person for my family camping/hunting tent.
Already have a couple of canvas tents but want something easier to set up.

Would love to have a Arctic oven tent but that is on the wish list.
View Quote

The reviews are pretty glowing for sure. Though I've read more than a few who say to park it in the shade in the summer. I can see that. It's a dark green and thickly-walled... so it's got to get sweltering in the summer heat. Good thing we have lots of trees here in MT/WY! Winter camping in it should be great though. Gotta score one of those Little Buddy propane heaters for that. Lot of reviewers say their Buddy heaters kept their AK Guide tent plenty warm in frigid temps.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hmmm... good to know. I'm going to be in Bozeman next month, so I'll have to look for the REI and stop in there. I go there about twice a year, but was unaware that there was an REI there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

as you peruse their merchandise, pay attention to the REI branded GEAR.. I've had several pieces over the years and I've been happy with everything I've had.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Not going to find a tent near as stout as the guide tent at REI.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not going to find a tent near as stout as the guide tent at REI.
View Quote

Definitely STOUT! Just got it delivered to work today and it's a beast. Would take all of one person's pack weight if one was going to haul it somewhere on the trail. But it'll be awesome for car camping. I also envision hauling it on a sled (we snowshoe) for some winter camping.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Wanted one of these for years, and finally bought one a couple years ago. First time out, did not go well. Wife person cheerfully volunteered to help with the guy lines, I reluctantly said "ok". Minutes later, she tripped on the one and only tent stake I was not able to drive  flush with the ground, and landed on her bad knee. Things went downhill from there, that was the last time we went tent camping. She does have redeeming qualities, but camping is not her thing. Imagine a Lucille Ball -I Love Lucy episode with a tent, that's about what you have going on.

The Cabela's Guide Model will go to a good home though, my youngest daughter and her husband have a house full of kids and they love the out doors.  Grandkids have a way of putting the smile on my face.

I think my future camping may be in a truck camper.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wanted one of these for years, and finally bought one a couple years ago. First time out, did not go well. Wife person cheerfully volunteered to help with the guy lines, I reluctantly said "ok". Minutes later, she tripped on the one and only tent stake I was not able to drive  flush with the ground, and landed on her bad knee. Things went downhill from there, that was the last time we went tent camping. She does have redeeming qualities, but camping is not her thing.

The Cabela's Guide Model will go to a good home though, my youngest daughter and her husband have a house full of kids and they love the out doors.  Grandkids have a way of putting the smile on my face.

I think my future camping may be in a truck camper.
View Quote

When my buddy and I took his out on a moose hunt the first tent stake he tried driving he used the back of his hatchet and promptly put a hole in the fly.  the next night he dried his boots next to the fire... a little too close and the gortex melted

Somehow his wife blames me for it all.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#16]
We have a 6 person that is 25 years old. I bought a new rain fly for it about 6 or 7 years ago cause it started to stretch out. We liked it so much that we bought a 8 person about 10 years ago.

The best tent ever!

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We have a 6 person that is 25 years old. I bought a new rain fly for it about 6 or 7 years ago cause it started to stretch out. We liked it so much that we bought a 8 person about 10 years ago.

The best tent ever!

View Quote

That's awesome, and fairly typical of the reviews that i read. We were going to use it for the first time over the weekend, but a close family friend's sudden death scuttled that.  He was 47 and hiking with his wife and my son, when he suffered a massive heart attack and dropped where he stood. Despite my son and the wife giving him CPR for 20 minutes,  he was gone. His funeral this Saturday will squash our Fri-Sat camping plans.  So we're shooting for Sun-Mon to give it a test now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got the Cabela's XPG 4 person 4season delivered. Taking it to the top of the Smokies next week to try out.. Seems very well built.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wow... that sounds like a great policy! I live in MT, so I don't have an REIs near me. Cabela's, Sierra Trading Post, Scheel's, and Bass Pro Shops here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is an rei in bozeman.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Tested the new tent out in a typical Beartooth Mountain summer rain/hail storm. We had the tent set up in the early afternoon at 9,000' altitude, and then the rain came in late afternoon. We were sitting in our car during the rain, but it was getting late and I wanted to get the air mattress finished in the tent, so I went in there and worked on that. Shortly after I started, the hail came. It was very loud in there and afterwards there was 1-2 inches of it on the ground. The tent held up fine and stayed dry in there. The trip was pretty soggy all in all, but the tent is a winner and I'm very satisfied so far.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Pics or it didn't happen.

(you'll have to go back)
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pics or it didn't happen.

(you'll have to go back)
View Quote

LOL... we do plan to go back within the month or so. The only pics that I took the whole trip were of a nearby mountain. Should've taken a few pics of the tent I guess... DUH!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the 8 person and I love it. We used it on a deer hunting trip and realistically, we fit 3 of us on cots in it, with a space in the middle. 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#25]
My buddy has the 6 man. It kicks the weathers ass.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#26]
We got the 6 person tent with aluminum poles last summer on super sale.  Went with the 6 to have headroom to stand.  It is stout and spacious. 

The downside is that it definitely takes two people to erect, which aggravates me no end.  I've been able to put up all sorts of good-sized tents alone but this is just too big and too tall, with too many poles.  Most likely an unavoidable compromise with the kid getting bigger but it was always nice in the past to be the only one getting wet in the rain, or otherwise splitting our efforts.

Edit to add:
Relatively low doors and no vestibule to speak of -so nowhere to shake off the rain and hang a jacket 'outside'.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We got the 6 person tent with aluminum poles last summer on super sale.  Went with the 6 to have headroom to stand.  It is stout and spacious. 

The downside is that it definitely takes two people to erect, which aggravates me no end.  I've been able to put up all sorts of good-sized tents alone but this is just too big and too tall, with too many poles.  Most likely an unavoidable compromise with the kid getting bigger but it was always nice in the past to be the only one getting wet in the rain, or otherwise splitting our efforts.

Edit to add:
Relatively low doors and no vestibule to speak of -so nowhere to shake off the rain and hang a jacket 'outside'.
View Quote
I wish they still made the deluxe vestibule for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top