Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2016 11:51:23 PM EDT
Young kid, full beard, backpack that looked like it came out of Hotel Transylvania and wearing what looked like a long skirt. Is this the new piece of must have camping apparel?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Fitness?  Yea it's making a comeback.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Is hippy racist or OK  to use
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Hiking kilt?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hiking kilt?
View Quote

Hopefully and probably this. Got to say, think what you want but having the fellas hanging free in the breeze is a fantastic feeling and very cooling etc.
Worn a few kilts in my time and although you may look like an idiot it is not a horrible idea. Damn girls get to have all the breeze fun up in their stuff.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#5]
"A man in a kilt is a man and a half"

Hiking kilts are the new hotness these days...

Kilt
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:05:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd probably wear a hiking kilt. Sounds comfortable. Wonder if I can order one in my family tartan.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd probably wear a hiking kilt. Sounds comfortable. Wonder if I can order one in my family tartan.
View Quote

Shit if you find a place that does that post it up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the one from Mountain Hardwear. Been awhile since I got out in it but then its also been awhile since I have gotten out at all.

I wore it all around the Yosemite backcountry and some other places though. I've also played ultimate Frisbee in it. They are pretty comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Kilts aren't ok. They really aren't. You can do what you like, and even wear a tellytubby costume if it's comfy, but please, think of the children.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have the one from Mountain Hardwear. Been awhile since I got out in it but then its also been awhile since I have gotten out at all.
View Quote
Same for me.  The terrain is steep here and you get a lot of freedom of movement with a kilt on those long uphill slogs.  The mountain hardwear kilt is the best.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kilts aren't ok. They really aren't. You can do what you like, and even wear a tellytubby costume if it's comfy, but please, think of the children.
View Quote

I don't have a problem with kilts, really.  Those synthetic "hiking kilts", however, are queerer than Richard Simmons' underwear drawer.  That isn't a kilt, it's a skirt.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't have a problem with kilts, really.  Those synthetic "hiking kilts", however, are queerer than Richard Simmons' underwear drawer.  That isn't a kilt, it's a skirt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see why you'd want to wear them, I wear skirts too. It's just like wearing socks and sandals though. Even actual Scotsmen don't wear them like Americans wear them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I can see why you'd want to wear them, I wear skirts too. It's just like wearing socks and sandals though. Even actual Scotsmen don't wear them like Americans wear them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for me.  I'll stick to pants or shorts.  Just how I roll.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Young kid, full beard, backpack that looked like it came out of Hotel Transylvania and wearing what looked like a long skirt. Is this the new piece of must have camping apparel?
View Quote

I see that every now and then when I am backpacking in the sierras, not a kilt even, just looks like they are doing the hippy thing.  I do see 1-2 kilts a week when I am doing 7 day trips in the sierras.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Same for me.  The terrain is steep here and you get a lot of freedom of movement with a kilt on those long uphill slogs.  The mountain hardwear kilt is the best.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas, we can have mosquitoes, lots of them. Coverage is more imperative than freedom !
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Finally a woman that doesn't like kilts!

Maybe the hiker was wearing a sarong?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Because why make life hard for ticks?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas, we can have mosquitoes, lots of them. Coverage is more imperative than freedom !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can appreciate that after doing ten years at Charleston AFB in SC.

Washington's "bad" bug season is like a regular day everywhere else.  Most of the year, even in the heat of summer, we're pretty bug free.  And never a fire-ant to be found.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I've hiked locally in my 5.11 tactical kilt, it's comfortable and I don't give a shit what people think so it's a win-win. It is probably a bit heavier duty than the one's posted in various links but it's got lot's of pockets and fit's well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're  free under a kilt, won't hungry little forest bugs eat your legs and happy tools? I prefer some protection.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you're  free under a kilt, won't hungry little forest bugs eat your legs and happy tools? I prefer some protection.
View Quote

Have your boyfriend rub some Skin-So-Soft on your parts - I hear that helps.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Id have to wear compression shorts either way, so i think when hiking, unless you never chafe, there is going to be some sort of undergarment use.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#24]
i wear boxers under my kilt
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hopefully and probably this. Got to say, think what you want but having the fellas hanging free in the breeze is a fantastic feeling and very cooling etc.
Worn a few kilts in my time and although you may look like an idiot it is not a horrible idea. Damn girls get to have all the breeze fun up in their stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hiking kilt?

Kilts are stupid for hiking.

Hanging out at the park and looking all "cool" and "different"  Yeah.  Neat.  Getting your nutsack caught on a bramblebush or wedged between a pair of rocks because you just had to be edgy?   Not cool.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hanging out at the park and looking all "cool" and "different"  Yeah.  Neat.  Getting your nutsack caught on a bramblebush or wedged between a pair of rocks because you just had to be edgy?   Not cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hiking kilt?

I can't get over the thought of my balls being squeezed and bounced back and forth between my legs.  I gotta have my bells supported

And wth is a tactical kilt?  Do you pull an AR out of it?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#27]
All the rage now in some parts of the world with real mountains...

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I wouldn't wear a kilt to the Highland games and Bagpipe review.   They're for Scots.  I can trace my lineage to the Welsh.  I am not a Scot.   I think those grubby Irishmen wore them too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I wouldn't wear a kilt to the Highland games and Bagpipe review.   They're for Scots.  I can trace my lineage to the Welsh.  I am not a Scot.   I think those grubby Irishmen wore them too.
View Quote
My sentiments exactly. They look cool if your race wore them, if not you probably look ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My sentiments exactly. They look cool if your race wore them, if not you probably look ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Xactly.  I am Italian and German - nothing in my heritage permits me to wrap a piece of wool around my ass and call it clothing.  *Maybe* leather gladiator armor, but for God's sake don't look up "gladiator skirt" on the internet.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"A man in a kilt is a man and a half"

Hiking kilts are the new hotness these days...

Kilt
View Quote

Ummmm...........no.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Many countries/regions wore kilt-like garments, only the Scots got more known for them in recent times.  Take a look at some of the Greek parade uniforms.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Many countries/regions wore kilt-like garments, only the Scots got more known for them in recent times.  Take a look at some of the Greek parade uniforms.
View Quote

Because in both places sheep can hear a zipper from a mile away?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Xactly.  I am Italian and German - nothing in my heritage permits me to wrap a piece of wool around my ass and call it clothing.  *Maybe* leather gladiator armor, but for God's sake don't look up "gladiator skirt" on the internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heritage doesn't matter one bit. All our ancestors wore dorky stuff, and we would look dorky in it too. A Scotsman looks just as silly playing highlander as he would playing gaucho. Save it for the sca.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Appropriate user name is appropriate.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a boyfriend who wore sarongs. Said he picked it up in Laos in the late '60s, early '70s. He really pulled it off, but he tended to wear it when he was barefoot and running after boars with a spear. Kind of a free spirit, but in a "fuck you" way, not a special snowflake way.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Heritage doesn't matter one bit. All our ancestors wore dorky stuff, and we would look dorky in it too. A Scotsman looks just as silly playing highlander as he would playing gaucho. Save it for the sca.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It matters to me.  Or at least that's what I keep telling women who ask "Why don't you wear a kilt?"
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost woke the kid up reading that one lol

Hey, do you know the difference between someone like Mic Jagger and Scottsman?
One says, "Hey you!  Get off my cloud!"

The other says "Hey McCloud, get offa me ewe!"

Seriously, though.  I don't care what people wear out in the woods.  If it makes them happy and reflects their personality, I'm all for it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#39]
OP things that's bad wait till I hike past in my silkies.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I wore it all around the Yosemite backcountry and some other places though. I've also played ultimate Frisbee in it. They are pretty comfortable.
View Quote

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

I bet you're real fun to play with. Not. No one except dudes gayer than a bag of dicks wants to see you in a skirt pulling off something like this:

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ain't nothing bad about silkies
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11986930_1072909196060372_3359083108858190523_n.jpg?oh=7b655ef063055358e092b37872f56039&oe=57FE4A3C
I wore mine to a "beach night" at a local bar...

The best word to sum up people's reactions is "aghast".
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11986930_1072909196060372_3359083108858190523_n.jpg?oh=7b655ef063055358e092b37872f56039&oe=57FE4A3C

IBTL  
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Easy Breezy Beautiful...silkies
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Hmm, sounds like the OP described my buddy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#46]
All fun and games until he comes across a yellow jacket nest in the trail....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#47]
My ancestry are almost all Scots and those hiking kilts are horrible.
I have no shame wearing my family's tartans for historic reasons, but modern fabrics have come along way.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#48]

The beard and old school frame pack makes me think you witnessed a Hipster Hiker.  

I think he was probably trying to pull off an early-70's hiking guru look.  Did he have sandals or pointy-toed, high heeled hiking boots?  That will put this whole thing to rest.

I saw a group of pretty, young ladies on the trail wearing wierd, old timey straight skirts and super ultralight packs.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#49]
No...wasn't a kilt. It was long, almost down to his ankles...
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No...wasn't a kilt. It was long, almost down to his ankles...
View Quote

Sounds like Arabic influence strikes again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top