Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 5:40:41 PM EDT
I'm looking for a comfortable weather-proof tent that is quick to set up and take down.  The purpose will be to house me when I am on road trips.  Much of the camping will be in the Southeast especially Florida.  I prefer to be able to stand in a tent, but maybe I can get by without something "tall".  Any recommendations?  

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard good things about the Coleman instant tents.  There's plenty of review on them on youtube and elsewhere.  They're more square than dome, so may not be perfect in high winds, but supposed to be pretty good with rain.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do you want a tent for your car?

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do you want a tent for your car?

View Quote

Car camping, also known as developed campground camping, also known as parking next to your tent. It's pretty simple when you turn your GD mindset off.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:09:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Sportsmansguide.com
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Honestly, I'd go look at Dicks/Walmart/whatever and find a 6- or 8-person tent. Coleman with the bathtub poly floors are solid; we've been using one for eight years or so. Add a decent air mattress and it's pretty damn comfy. If you're getting horizontal rain, you may get a little damp, but that's camping.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:27:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I hammock camp so all I can contribute is my favorite camping gear review site

trailspace
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've heard good things about the Coleman instant tents.  There's plenty of review on them on youtube and elsewhere.  They're more square than dome, so may not be perfect in high winds, but supposed to be pretty good with rain.
View Quote

I was thinking about one of those, and also about the Eureka Copper Canyon.  

Alternatively, a Eureka 4-man Timberline could work although I wouldn't be able to stand up inside it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Unless you're unusually tall, you'd probably find the Eureka "4-Man" Timberline to be adequate for "luxurious"  one-man use... I own three Eureka Timberline tents, all "Outfitter"/heavy duty models. My usual, solo, go-to model is the T4/SQ,which has ample length and width for a cot, a bedside folding lawn chair (providing a bedtime reading lounge,with LED lantern clipped to overhead fore/aft line, as well as repository for nighttime accessories ---guns,  flashlights,watches,etc....)  At 5'-7", I have enough headroom to stand halfway erect and pull on pants and etc.,and I find this to be about the ideal for uncramped interior space, small footprint,easily managed setup/teardown/repackage. Often,here in the usually rainless desert, I omit pitching the rainfly, so as, e.g., last weekend, to observe the reflected red light of light from Mars...  Eureka A-Frames are pretty hard to beat,both from utilitarian and cost  considerations.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought the Eureka Equinox 6 man tent way back in the day. It's perfect for me, not too big yet I can stand up in it to get dressed. Almost 30 years of use and it's still in great shape and it's never leaked, even under the worst storms you can imagine. I doubt they still make it but if you can find something similar, I guarantee you would be very happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]
23 Zero for a RTT.  For a ground tent can't go wrong with a Timberline 4 man. Tuff as nails and last forever.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View Quote

Some coworkers found a brand new abandoned one of these and offered it as a going away present.  I've carted the gigantic thing around for years but just recently got around to using it.  I probably wouldn't have paid money for one.  Me and the wife spent a Memorial Day downpour in one of these.  

Pros:  It is easy as hell to set up.  Unfold the whole contraption - the body of the tent, "rain fly" and poles are all attached to a central hub.  It is big and you can easily stand up in it.  The dome shape has fairly upright walls so it feels roomier.  Cheap, I assume.

Cons:  It has fiberglass poles with a lot of joints and moving parts.  I can't imagine it surviving many years of set up/take down.  Fiberglass poles are the devil.  Like many cheaper tents, the rainfly doesn't cover much of the tent and appears more of an afterthought.  Rain flowed down the sides and entered where the bathtub floor and sides met.  We had a kayak sponge and were able to keep up and not get too wet.  Either check the forecast and be a fair weather camper or get a giant tarp and know how to set it up.  

We don't do much car camping but if we did, I'd consider tracking down an REI Kingdom 4.  That thing is the king of car camping tents.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#13]

+1 for CVT I just got a Mt. Shasta Extended Stargazer I'm a huge fan.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We don't do much car camping but if we did, I'd consider tracking down an REI Kingdom 4.  That thing is the king of car camping tents.  
View Quote

I got to check one of those out a few days ago at REI.  Those are awesome tents.  I love the net at the top.  But holy hell, they're expensive.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Those are badass.

But they suck for typical car-camping.

Are you going to break down your whole camp so that you can drive out of the campground to a trailhead, or other destination?

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Those are badass.

Are you going to break down your whole camp so that you can drive out of the campground to a trailhead, or other destination?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Those are badass.

I guess it depends on how you define typical car camping.

I would rather stay home than park in an established campground, so for me typical is some long abandoned logging road too brushy for most vehicles.  Find a spot and set up.  Scavenge some deadwood for a campfire, quiet, solitude, maybe even shoot some .22 if the mood strikes me.  I can't do that with a trailer, and the rooftop tent is considerably more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.  

I don't need to drive out of a campground to go to a trailhead, I can set up right at the trailhead.  In fact, that's why I originally bought it; to spend the night at the trailhead so I could get on the trail at first light, before anyone else showed up and spooked the wildlife.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top