Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2016 12:24:32 PM EDT
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but it seems like this industry is always expanding with new vendors and products.

I currently have an ENO singlenest. For backpacking trips, I am planning on ditching the tent and sleeping back and going to a hammock system. For now being the summer, I would think a hammock, bug net, and rainfly should be all I need. That being said, if I convert my eno over to a whoppie sling system I can continue to use it, so all I would need is a rain fly and bug net.

Now, if i only had around $150 to spend on these two items, what would be my best options?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a Yukon Outfitters rainfly on woot today for $17. I don't know anything about their quality....... link
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a Yukon Outfitters rainfly on woot today for $17. I don't know anything about their quality....... link
View Quote

I have that fly.   It's on the smaller side, but manages to keep you dry.    It covers a Yukon hammock perfectly, but bigger hammocks may not be covered completely.

I picked up a Yukon underquilt for $50ish or so on Woot a while back.   Again, it's nothing fancy, but works down into the 40's

I looked at the woot link above, they have a bug net for $25.    It's probably good to go, like the rest of their gear..
$17 for a rainfly, and another $25 for the bug net.    Not a bad start with your ENO hammock.     Upgrade as you determine what your needs are

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have that fly.   It's on the smaller side, but manages to keep you dry.    It covers a Yukon hammock perfectly, but bigger hammocks may not be covered completely.

I picked up a Yukon underquilt for $50ish or so on Woot a while back.   Again, it's nothing fancy, but works down into the 40's

I looked at the woot link above, they have a bug net for $25.    It's probably good to go, like the rest of their gear..
$17 for a rainfly, and another $25 for the bug net.    Not a bad start with your ENO hammock.     Upgrade as you determine what your needs are

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the fly combo hammock with net and under quilt from Yukon.  The fly is ok unless rain in going sideways. The UQ is good stuff.  Hammock is ok but not great unless you tweek it.  For the cost though it's a good starter set to get you out there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
REI had a ton of hammock stuff on sale recently. Might still be there.
keep an eye on steep and cheap. there isn't anything right now.
I have the yukon fly and its fine. I'm still looking at their bug net.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#6]
What's everyone's opinion on the Hennessey Hammocks? Seems like I can get a nic package for only a little bit more than what I originally planned to spend, and that includes a hammock with integrated bug net, a rain fly, snake skins, tree straps, and the stuff sack.

More I look into them, they seem like a great little package for the price.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#7]
They work. They're heavy. The rain fly covers the hammock but doesn't really give you much flexibility.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a friend that really likes his Hennessy
I went war bonnet.  I don't get wet with the mamba jamba.  It is an awesome , light, compact and waterproof, tarp
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#9]
While Hennessy/ENO/Grand Trunk are easy ways to get into the hammock world since that's what you can find at places like REI I believe there are so many better (and considerably more flexible) options.

This being Arfcom and all, buy once cry once. Well, in my case, my 12 times. I've got close to a doze hammocks (I've lost some loaners) from a number of vendors. If you're serious I'd head over the hammockforums.net to see if there's a hang in your area. People are more than willing to share info about their gear and will let you try them out so you can find what fits you best. Maybe a 9' Hennessy is ok for you or maybe you're more comfortable in a wider 11' model. Are you ok in a regular hammock or better off in a bridge?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang they're sold out of the bug net.  I've been looking for a net.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
While Hennessy/ENO/Grand Trunk are easy ways to get into the hammock world since that's what you can find at places like REI I believe there are so many better (and considerably more flexible) options.

This being Arfcom and all, buy once cry once. Well, in my case, my 12 times. I've got close to a doze hammocks (I've lost some loaners) from a number of vendors. If you're serious I'd head over the hammockforums.net to see if there's a hang in your area. People are more than willing to share info about their gear and will let you try them out so you can find what fits you best. Maybe a 9' Hennessy is ok for you or maybe you're more comfortable in a wider 11' model. Are you ok in a regular hammock or better off in a bridge?
View Quote

lots of good info over there, but they have an anti mil/gun stance so keep that in mind or your posts/theads will disappear...
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Try Dutchwaregear.  He has a bunch of stuff (and ships REALLY fast).
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but it seems like this industry is always expanding with new vendors and products.

I currently have an ENO singlenest. For backpacking trips, I am planning on ditching the tent and sleeping back and going to a hammock system. For now being the summer, I would think a hammock, bug net, and rainfly should be all I need. That being said, if I convert my eno over to a whoppie sling system I can continue to use it, so all I would need is a rain fly and bug net.

Now, if i only had around $150 to spend on these two items, what would be my best options?
View Quote

I would still consider either a small section of CCF pad to sleep on to cover at least your back and butt.  I would also recommend even a light poncho liner.  Even if temps aren't expected to be lower than the low-60's, a breeze and hike in humidity can make the "felt-temperature" drop feel more significant.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would still consider either a small section of CCF pad to sleep on to cover at least your back and butt.  I would also recommend even a light poncho liner.  Even if temps aren't expected to be lower than the low-60's, a breeze and hike in humidity can make the "felt-temperature" drop feel more significant.  

ROCK6
View Quote

Absolutely. It just takes a light breeze to induce a nice chill.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Question:
 Instead of an underquilt, would a skinny inflatable sleeping pad keep the cool air from your backside at night?  Anybody try this?
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#16]
It'd be like a slip-n-slide.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Question:
 Instead of an underquilt, would a skinny inflatable sleeping pad keep the cool air from your backside at night?  Anybody try this?
View Quote

I probably do it all wrong, but here's my setup for the past 2 summers:

Kammok Roo
USGI current sleeping bag system. I take both bags, but usually only use the lightweight bag.
Klymit insulated inflatable bag. I inflate it about 70% and put it into the sleeping bag. It's mummy cut, so it fits very well.
ENO bugnet
Kammok Glider fly
Kammok tree straps
Loop Aliens for the fly (and some 1.75mm dyneema or whatever it is that Loop Aliens sells on their site)
small 2x3ft Tyvek mat on the ground beneath my hammock

picture from 2 years ago, made a few minor alterations, but same basic setup

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Such as?

I'm a 5' 7", uh, less than 250 guy and I've been eyeing the deals on the Hennessey site.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Question:
View Quote

I had a thermarest and a 30 degree bag that I used down as low as 27 degrees. It worked fine. I didn't slide much.
Then I got a Lost Ranger from Big Agnes and it has a pouch for my sleep pad and it holds it in place. Its the tits. I sleep amazingly well in my hammock with that Big Agnes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I had a thermarest and a 30 degree bag that I used down as low as 27 degrees. It worked fine. I didn't slide much.
Then I got a Lost Ranger from Big Agnes and it has a pouch for my sleep pad and it holds it in place. Its the tits. I sleep amazingly well in my hammock with that Big Agnes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question:

I got a Big Agness insulated Q-Core at the REI garage sale for like $30 or something.  I've put it in my hammock and it seems pretty comfortable, but haven't taken it out over night.  I'd use it in the Fall.  It's slid a little, but that was just a quick setup and I'm an inexperienced hammock guy.  I'm interested in trying it out.  I may do it in the back yard one night.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm a 5' 7", uh, less than 250 guy and I've been eyeing the deals on the Hennessey site.
View Quote

With your height you'd probably do fine in a Hennessy. However, personally I'd look at a LightHiker. About the same dimensions but imho more comfortable. The material makes a world of difference and the Hennessy uses a very heavy/uncomfortable nylon. With a double layer (which I don't think Hennessy offers) you can slip a pad between them for insulation and it won't slide around.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

With your height you'd probably do fine in a Hennessy. However, personally I'd look at a LightHiker. About the same dimensions but imho more comfortable. The material makes a world of difference and the Hennessy uses a very heavy/uncomfortable nylon. With a double layer (which I don't think Hennessy offers) you can slip a pad between them for insulation and it won't slide around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Package Deals
There are no products in this category.

Damn
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Dude I love my Kammock/python straps combo. Best out there in my opinion.

The accessories like the rain fly/bug net/etc are high end and probably unnecessarily expensive but you don't need to use that for a bug net. You can just use bug netting. I use it in conjunction with a Kelty tarp.

The hammock and straps themselves are of the utmost quality and good design and still very affordable.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Damn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Package Deals
There are no products in this category.

Damn

Sorry.

Do you go outside of FL? If so you might go with a netless hammock and then add something like a BIAS nano buginator net. I think the LightHiker is a superb hammock but I do like the flexibility of being able to completely remove that net, not just roll it down to the end. It's still a superb piece of gear.

My current head-of-the-line hammock is the Dream Hammocks ThunderBird. It's the ultimate in flexibility. I can run it complete naked or with a net in the summer or an overcover if it's freaky cold (adds 10-15 deg of warmth). It's an awesome hammock.

I've never tried a Kammock. I should pick one up. I can always use another hammock. I also like the BIAS Weight Weenie. Mine weighs in at 6.7 oz.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I still haven't posted up a pic of my DH Sparrow... will do so shortly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top