Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2016 11:15:01 PM EDT
I'm looking for a shovel that preferably has a D-handle, and will hold up to the elements. It will be mounted to my FJ Cruiser's roof rack or on my M416 trailer somewhere.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#1]
What is the "shovel" for?
Do you really need a shovel or do you need a spade?

If this is for a vehicle, then you probably want a very general use digging tool with emphasis on digging your tires out of sand or mud.

Each type of shovel or spade is designed with a specific use in mind.

You probably do need a shovel, not a spade. You probably need a long straight handle, Not a short handle with "T" or "D" grip.

You might want something like this: Bully Tools 82515
http://www.amazon.com/Bully-Tools-82515-14-Gauge-Fiberglass/dp/B002YOTA7E

If my assumption about intended use is incorrect, then this might not be the digging tool for you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If this is for a vehicle, then you probably want a very general use digging tool with emphasis on digging your tires out of sand or mud.

You probably do need a shovel, not a spade. You probably need a long straight handle, Not a short handle with "T" or "D" grip.

If my assumption about intended use is incorrect, then this might not be the digging tool for you.

View Quote

Thanks, but why would I not need a D or T handle?

It is for offroad use, getting unstuck and all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought this & it's matching square
point at HF.

I have heard people poo poo the
the sub sized tools, but they fit
well behind my Wrangler's rear
seat on the shelf. I suppose I
will buy another set for my
Pioneer 1000.

John

Shovel
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]
A long-handled shovel makes digging much easier.  Naturally shorter handles store easier.  I've used a cold steel shovel to dig my jeep out on several occasions.  A small shovel is way better than no shovel.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a smaller Stanley D-handle a couple of years ago.  Keep it behind the back seat in the truck and it's served me well.  Seems to be well made and should survive what I use it for.

But I think Stanley has since gotten out of yard tools since I can't find it on their website.  I got it at Academy and they sell a similar shovel.  I suspect the company bought the rights from Stanley.

Grip-On shovel

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

A long-handled shovel makes digging much easier.  Naturally shorter handles store easier.  I've used a cold steel shovel to dig my jeep out on several occasions.  A small shovel is way better than no shovel.
View Quote
I don't think cold steel makes them anymore. I can't find them on their website.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For digging loose the dirt in steep, deep holes (like post holes) or trenching you would want a short D handle with a long blade in a more or less straight line with the handle.
For moving dirt or mud around tires to the side to get un-stuck, such a tool will kill your back.
For that job a shovel with a straight long handle and the blade cocked up at about a 20 to 30 degree angle to the handle will make the job much easier and avoid back injury.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always keep a small shovel in the truck, but if I'm going somewhere I know that I will be or might be digging, I throw a long straight handle in the back. You can dig a lot faster, deeper and reach a lot further under your vehicle with the long straight handle. The D or T handle shovels are easier to store and work if you're down on the ground (Knees) or in confined spaces (Fox Hole), that's about it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't think cold steel makes them anymore. I can't find them on their website.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found it, for $36.98, w/sheath.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/92SFSZ/Special_Forces_Shovel_w_Sheath.aspx
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both of the top 2  "Fiskars shovels" when you search that at Amazon.  The straight handle is metal and the D handle is nice and wide.  About $30 shipped with Prime.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I ended up getting mine from Home Depot.  It was a heavy duty, contractor version that wasn't too expensive.  I keep it under the rear seat in my F-150 4x4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top