Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2016 11:22:30 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good LED camping lantern. This would be for car camping use, not backpacking. Ideally, it would look kind of like a traditional lantern and can sit on a table or hand from a handle. I had an Energizer flat lantern, which is a great concept, but the switch broke on the second trip. I do not want a D or C cell powered lantern. I don't mind something powered by rechargeable lithium ion batteries or AAs. I'm willing to pay some money to have something that won't break the first time you drop it.

The Fenix CLR25R looks interesting, but I don't know anything about this company.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
ETA:  sorry...  missed the part about not wanting C or D cell units.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The Outdoor Gear Review featured on particular lantern (ran on AA batteries I'm pretty sure) that was very inexpensive and performed very well. It was featured on Banggood's website but I can't remember which one it is. I've contacted the owner of the site for more info and will post the link to this thread if he answers my reply.

Here it is. $8.49. Uses three AA batteries

The review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuR3DHg9QqM

The website's URL:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-16-LED-Circular-Small-Lantern-Led-Tent-Light-Camping-Lamp-p-62189.html

ETA: Currently out of stock
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a Black Diamond lantern, (Apollo maybe). The newer Titan runs on d batteries. Mine runs of AA. Puts out great light and dims.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Streamlight "Seige" also gets good reviews. 2 different sizes:

Large uses "D" cells

"AA" uses 2 AA cells

Review vid feature black laborador retreivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5lBczdiuoc
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Fenix CR25 if I remember the number right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The Fenix 18650 battery is exactly what I've been looking for.

Just a year ago there seemed to be no lanterns using that battery on the market.

Fenix is high quality gear.  Buy with confidence.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The fenix cl25r is what you should buy.  Quality is excellent, very bright, magnet is useful, etc.  I would call it "revolutionary" in terms of battery powered lanterns.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both the Siege AA and the bigger Siege.(D-cell).The AA is to small for me.Both are well made,as all Streamlights are. I looked at the Fenix.About $20.00 more then the large Seige.The Streamlight w/3 D batteries throws 340 lumens for 30 hrs. Where the Fenix w/2 cr123 batteries throws 350 lumens for 2.5 hrs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got this "LUCI" inflatible solar lantern. It's not what I would consider a primary lantern, but it works nice inside a tent and you can recharge it passively just leaving it out in the sun. Light, packable, no batteries needed. Nice to supplement other lighting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have both the Siege AA and the bigger Siege.(D-cell).The AA is to small for me.Both are well made,as all Streamlights are. I looked at the Fenix.About $20.00 more then the large Seige.The Streamlight w/3 D batteries throws 340 lumens for 30 hrs. Where the Fenix w/2 cr123 batteries throws 350 lumens for 2.5 hrs.
View Quote

The Fenix CL25 has on board charging with an 18650 battery. Much better than using disposable D's. I would take it over the Siege any day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got this "LUCI" inflatible solar lantern. It's not what I would consider a primary lantern, but it works nice inside a tent and you can recharge it passively just leaving it out in the sun. Light, packable, no batteries needed. Nice to supplement other lighting.
View Quote

The LUCI lights have good giggle factor, especially the one that auto-changes colors.  Plus they'd be pretty good for hiking.  They make a pretty good gift.  Our friends we've given them too really liked them.

Also use some Consol Solar Jars we brought back from ZA.  They're pricey here, but still pretty cool.  We do a lot of boondock camping, so it's nice to be solar powered.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#13]
take a plastic jug of water and turn a headlamp inside out on the jug.
Bam instant lantern.

Unless you meant you want an actual lantern. Then I have no idea, because lanterns are heavy and I carry a flashlight and a headlamp is all.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's comparing entirely different animals.  The streamlight weighs 5x as much as the fenix.  Also the fenix is best run on one 18650.  Additionally streamlight is less than truthful about their run times and brightness claims:  they measure brightness at the emitter, with the globe/diffuser removed.  Fenix measures the light outside of the diffuser.  Also, streamlight's run time claims are based on how long it takes the light to drop down to 10% of its rated output.  In other words, that "340 lumens for 30 hours" actually means "30 hours until output on high drops below 34 lumens". Fenix uses ANSI spec to rate their lights.  Additionally, the fenix 2.5 hour measurement is made using a 2300mah battery.  One could easily upgrade to a 3500 mah battery for much better performance.  And last, alkaline cells perform horribly in cold weather.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The LUCI lights have good giggle factor, especially the one that auto-changes colors.  Plus they'd be pretty good for hiking.  They make a pretty good gift.  Our friends we've given them too really liked them.

Also use some Consol Solar Jars we brought back from ZA.  They're pricey here, but still pretty cool.  We do a lot of boondock camping, so it's nice to be solar powered.

https://solar-jar.com/images/consol-solar-jar/consol-solar-jar-3.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://solar-jar.com/images/consol-solar-jar/consol-solar-jar-3.jpg

My Luci is pretty cool. I would say they are pretty cool if you are starting out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The fenix cl25r is what you should buy.  Quality is excellent, very bright, magnet is useful, etc.  I would call it "revolutionary" in terms of battery powered lanterns.
View Quote

This.. I not only use it for camping, but I do a lot of work on bridges, the magnetic base comes in real handy when stuck under a dark bridge all day.. I highly recommend buying one of those flexible camera tripods as well, they thread right into the bottom of that sucker, between that and the magnet you can set/mount that thing anywhere on this planet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Luci light and Streamlight Seige AA
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#18]
When I was looking for something like this a few years back, I settled on this nice little Coleman AA Lantern.  It's not the most tactical or uber tech-looking piece, but it's very effective and reliable.  I have 3 or 4 of these.  Excuse the out of stock Wal Mart link- it was the first page I could find to share this item.  Hopefully they are still available somewhere if you are interested in them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:10:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I camp frequently, usually in rattlesnake country, and want to know if I'm sharing space with snakes or other critters that can hurt me... My current camp lighting gear consists of a Black Diamond Titan lantern,usually suspended overhead to take advantage of its broad, area-lighting, 360 degree illumination, along with two Black Diamond Apollo lanterns, one or two usually employed for tailgate "kitchen" lighting, along with a Surefire headlamp for task lighting. One of the AA Apollos winds up overhead in my tent, as area lighting. These lanterns are economical to run, "fireproof", lightweight and compact, what's not to like...???
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:50:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a Black Diamond lantern and it has really impressed me, nice light.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have many all different types.

My advice is think small.  ....

Another thing in this decision is standardizing batteries across as many of your lights as possible.  

Tj
View Quote

This is huge.  I got really motivated to do this a few years ago and went all AA for my battery powered gear, got myself setup with some Eneloop rechargeables along with a nice charger, and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback on the Fenix, folks. My cl25r just came in. I'm going to go with revolutionary as well. It's bad to the bone.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the Streamlight "Seige" D Cell, but I use AA rechargeable batteries with  Eneloop Battery Adaptor/Converters.  Great light and last a long time even with the AAs. I have a bunch of AAs and I can recharge them while driving or with the Goal Zero Solar panel.

Goal Zero also makes a Lantern also that can be used as a USB power supply.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Here are 2 that I recently bought.  Both run on AA Batteries.

Delux Model

Standard Model

MAHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top