Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2015 11:53:35 AM EDT
So my wife has brought up the idea of buying a new camper trailer.  She likes the idea of spending more time outdoors with the kids and i like the idea of using it for deer season.  We looked at the Coleman 29 foot bunk house and the Trail Runner 29 foot SLE yesterday.  We liked both but know nothing about the brands.  Was really hoping someone in here may have some words of wisdom.  Should i even buy one or is it like a boat?

ETA:  I looked for an RV forum but didnt find one.  If there is please link me to it and i apologize
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's what I did

Might not be exactly what you want since you have kids but might give you ideas.  

Camper trailers are usually built pretty shitty.  A cargo trailer is a lot tougher.  

We haven't used ours much this year.    Between building a house and working overtime to pay for it, I haven't had much time to use it this year.  We plan to change that next year though!

Biggest RV forum out there that I know of is RV.net
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's what I did

Might not be exactly what you want since you have kids but might give you ideas.  

Camper trailers are usually built pretty shitty.  A cargo trailer is a lot tougher.  

We haven't used ours much this year.    Between building a house and working overtime to pay for it, I haven't had much time to use it this year.  We plan to change that next year though!

View Quote

I remember that thread awesome work.

OP just make sure you have a low profile RV for those low hanging tree area's.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Here's what I did

View Quote

Certainly BADASS!!! But it wouldnt work for me.  I have a family of 5 and the reason behind this camper trailer is to give my wife and 17 yr old daughter enough luxury (toilet, shower, tv, ac/heat, etc.) that they will actually tag along.  I have a very rustic 3 bedroom cabin on my deer camp but it has no running water or electricity. Call me a softy but i enjoy having my wife and kids at camp but they wont go to the cabin due to its lack of luxuries.  My biggest concern is if I do my part in general upkeep and maintenance, will a new camper trailer hold up for 15 yrs plus?
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife and I bought a 30' bumper pull 10 years ago when the kids got bigger.  The tent trailer became too small.

From what I've seen, they are all built similar.  Finding the floor plan and options that you want kind of set them apart.  

Ours is in great shape and has plenty of life left.  I think I can get another 10 years out of it.

The thing to keep maintained is the wheel bearings and tires, just like with any trailer.  Also, keep your roof sealed and you are good to go.

The problems I have seen my friends have is burning up a bearing, blown tires, and damage due to roof leaks.  They could have prevented it all if they would have just maintained it in the first place.

Last thing is just make sure you have enough truck for whatever you buy.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My wife and I bought a 30' bumper pull 10 years ago when the kids got bigger.  The tent trailer became too small.

From what I've seen, they are all built similar.  Finding the floor plan and options that you want kind of set them apart.  

Ours is in great shape and has plenty of life left.  I think I can get another 10 years out of it.

The thing to keep maintained is the wheel bearings and tires, just like with any trailer.  Also, keep your roof sealed and you are good to go.

The problems I have seen my friends have is burning up a bearing, blown tires, and damage due to roof leaks.  They could have prevented it all if they would have just maintained it in the first place.

Last thing is just make sure you have enough truck for whatever you buy.

Good luck.
View Quote
I just bought a new 2015 Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4x4.  Im hoping thats enough truck but from the numbers i have looked at i think it will be close.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#7]
The biggest thing I have seen for longevity it storing it under cover.  It will last MUCH longer if you can build a shed to keep it in.

May or may not be an option, but REALLY helps.  Like tractors or equipment, or anything else.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
buy one that is a few years old....not only will you save a ton of money, but the original owners will have found all the leaks and problems.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Pointman, when you look at the trailer that you like make sure it has a regular length bed in it for yourself and
the Mrs. I got one a while back and salesman said it had a queen size bed but it was what they call a short queen. I'm only 5'6" and my feet hung over the bottom of it, needless to say I didn't keep it very long after 2 weeks sleeping like that. just my 2 cents worth
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Something else to think about is 5th wheel vrs a pull behind..

I bought a used 5er, let someone else take the beating on depreciation.. Its a few years old, a little used around the edges, but everything works.. Keeps the heat in, rain and bugs out..

Pluss I can pull a boat behind it.. MN has a max length of 70ft. I have plenty of length left to step up to about a 20ft boat instead of a 14 I have here..  

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Travel trailers are JUST like boats.. Worth every penny if you use them and enjoy them.. Nothing but a waste of money if you don't. We have 2. A 31 foot Airstream, and a 17 foot R-Pod. We are out a minimum of 50-60 nights a year. Sometimes 2-3 weeks at a time. We think it's worth it. We still have two weeks worth of camping laid out for this year, and if we get a pretty and open, weekend, we will do a close trip or two.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the advice. We brought home the Heartland Trail Runner 29 SLE on Friday. We absolutely love it. Wasn't t really prepared for all of the associated costs that go with outfitting all of the gear needed but it's a new hobby at least. It's a little overwhelming to be honest but it gives us something to keep busy.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Whenever you get a chance, check out other peoples set ups... Its amazing all the tips and tricks you will find..
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Just saw this posted on reddit yesterday. Camper on a 5ton 6x6.

reddit

facebook
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#15]
You set on a trailer.  I think I'd want one you can drive.  My dad has one and the one time I've used it I liked the idea of it better than having to drag a trailer around. (And I regularly pull a 30' gooseneck)

He's selling his
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Great you brought it home on Nov 2,2015. That is out standing
But we get NO pictures?
I'm sure it was an over site on your part!
The camera was not charged?
The smart phone was in the other car!
That OK, If you want to keep your new toy to yourself.
We understand.  I'm sorry I even brought it up Really!!!
Don't worry about it. You go have fun in with your new toy!!!
I'll go about what I all ways do at 11.22pm. Read more post!!!
LMAO    
Glade you found what you where looking for. Hope you and the family
have awesome adventures! Have fun, be safe! Enjoy the family time!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#17]
We got a Nash 17K two years ago and love it.  Because we live in MT and I use it for hunting camp, we wanted one that was "4 seasons" rated.  They've got the extra insulation that we need up here.  I wouldn't want to use it in the dead of winter though unless it was an emergency.  I don't run a generator so the microwave doesn't get used and I took the TV out.  We wanted a pull trailer because when we go out into the woods we can drop our trailer at camp and then head out to our favorite fishing holes or hunting spots in the truck.  You can't get an RV into some of the places we go.  The more you use it, the more you'll like it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We got a Nash 17K two years ago and love it.  Because we live in MT and I use it for hunting camp, we wanted one that was "4 seasons" rated.  They've got the extra insulation that we need up here.  I wouldn't want to use it in the dead of winter though unless it was an emergency.  I don't run a generator so the microwave doesn't get used and I took the TV out.  We wanted a pull trailer because when we go out into the woods we can drop our trailer at camp and then head out to our favorite fishing holes or hunting spots in the truck.  You can't get an RV into some of the places we go.  The more you use it, the more you'll like it.
View Quote

http://www.nroa2003.com/forum/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top