Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 9:19:20 PM EDT
A couple guys from work and I are taking a short trip on the AT this week. I think half the fun is getting the gear organized and packed, food planned out, and anticipation of the trip ahead. It's likely going to be a wet hike, but that kind of adds to the excitement. So here I am, all packed and 3 more days of work before we get dropped off at the trail head. Feel free to critique my gear. This isn't my first trip, but always open to suggestions.

Here's the packing list:
Hennessey expedition asym zip hammock
Hennessey hex rain fly (I normally use the standard fly, but expect heavy rain)
ENO helios susupension
Thermarest scout (short)
Marmot NanoWave 45 sleeping bag
JetBoil Flash
Black Diamond Storm headlamp
Sawyer mini filter
North Face Leonidas jacket
Extra short sleeve and long sleeve layer
Extra socks
Extra boxer briefs
Extra shorts
Adventure Medical Kit ultralight
Toaks long handle titanium spoon
Esee izula
Sea to summit 20l stuff sac (food bag)
Black Diamond trekking poles
Springfield XDs 45 in a Tactical Tailor holster pouch on the hip belt
Garmin foretrex 401 gps
DeLorme InReach SE
All in a Deuter 50L pack

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe some 550 cordage for stringing up your food at night and emergency repairs.  Big sewing needle that will allow repairs with the inside string from the 550 cord.

I guess you have food in there.

Poo shovel and TP, unless someone else in your party is bringing.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I take an izula and also my esee 3 with me when hiking the AT. I did the stint from Marion VA to Damascus VA... went slow and it took 8 days. That's about the only thing I see.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe some 550 cordage for stringing up your food at night and emergency repairs.  Big sewing needle that will allow repairs with the inside string from the 550 cord.

http://www.moontrail.com/details/sea-to-summit/ipood/ipood-openinhand.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.moontrail.com/details/sea-to-summit/ipood/ipood-openinhand.jpg

I do have some 550 cord attached to my food bag, a pack of kleenex, and a travel pack of cottonelle wipes. I just forgot to mention it.

I didn't add the food list, but basic stuff. Dehydrated backcountry pantry meals, beef jerky, gummi bears, oatmeal, coffee, tuna packets, cliff bars, etc

Quoted:
I take an izula and also my esee 3 with me when hiking the AT. I did the stint from Marion VA to Damascus VA... went slow and it took 8 days. That's about the only thing I see.

I used to carry a bigger knife and never used it. I found myself using my Benchmade Griptilian most. I haven't carried a big blade in a long time and haven't missed it. This will be my first trip with the izula. Leaving the griptilian at home.

Quoted:
What are you using for water?  Have you used that filter before?

I use a 3l Camelback and the Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter.  I hate how big and heavy the water filter is BUT I have QD couplers to pump filtered water directly into my hydration pack and it works faster then anything else I have tried.  Given how well it works, as long as I know there is water where I hike I can carry less water weight.

As for the stove, I like the Primus Omni stove and for four days you would need a big fuel bottle assuming dehydrated foods or the like.

Have fun and bring a small camera to take pics and a seperate small radio or MP3.  Save your smart phone batteries as it could save your life and recharging it while on the move is not possible.

I have a sawyer minifilter in-line in a 100oz camelbak and an extra minifilter with the bag. I used to carry a katadyn hiker until i tried the sawyer minifilters.  I also carry a mini nalgene for my coffee and gatorade packets.

I can easily do 4 days with the jetboil and a single small fuel cannister. Last 4 day trip I did, I boiled water for myself, my buddy and the random shelter-mate. I had fuel left.

I put my smartphone on airplane mode and use it as my camera. The Delorme InReach is for emergency communication.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Looks fine.  I'm up on the NC section of the AT and it's starting to get cold up here.  I'm nothing but a fair weather hammock camper.

Be careful with your BD Storm headlamp.  I've gone through 2 and our SAR team has trashed a couple more.  Great lights but the fully sealed aspect seems to encourage battery corrosion.  We just wen back to the BD Spot and haven't had any problems.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Cold? You from Fl. originally? I live on(well, 1 mile behind my place on the 4800' ridgeline) the AT also here in the western NC mtns. Yes its cooler, but that means 78-80ish with lows in the upper 50s/low 60s  here at the house. Maaaaaaybe high 40s by now above 6000'. I love winter/snow backpacking. No people. No bugs. Not hot. Fresh food keeps a long time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Looks fine.  I'm up on the NC section of the AT and it's starting to get cold up here.  I'm nothing but a fair weather hammock camper.

Be careful with your BD Storm headlamp.  I've gone through 2 and our SAR team has trashed a couple more.  Great lights but the fully sealed aspect seems to encourage battery corrosion.  We just wen back to the BD Spot and haven't had any problems.

View Quote

Good to know on the headlamp. I'll keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Just saw your pic on instagram, thought this looked familiar! What meals do you have planned? Whenever I go backpacking, meal planning is one of my favorite parts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just saw your pic on instagram, thought this looked familiar! What meals do you have planned? Whenever I go backpacking, meal planning is one of my favorite parts.
View Quote

4 backcountry pantry meals
2 packs of ramen
4 cliff bars
Fruit gummies x 6
Oatmeal x 4
Gatorade packet x 4
Starbucks via lattes x 4
Korean BBQ pork jerky
Snickers bar x 2
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Kit looks pretty good.

You can do a lighter suspension than the Helios, but since you already have it...

You don't need a poo shovel. That's why God invented sticks.

Since you're using the Sawyer Mini, the only thing I'd add is a collapsible cup to help fill it. I've had plenty of times on the AT where the water source isn't exactly perfect for filling the bags.

Oh, you mentioned a mini Nalgene. I ditched Nalgene bottles because a Gatorade/Powerade bottle is significantly lighter. Not sure about the mini version.

I'd ditch the ramen.

I love my Deuter pack. Great choice.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The helios are only 5.7oz. What option is lighter AND quick to setup?

Last time I went, I took a used desani bottle to get water from streams and attach the sawyer directly to the bottle instead of the bag. I want tk like the bags, but your piints are dead on. I used to carry a light my fire collapsible cup for my coffee, but it was only 6oz and ended up making two cups of coffee. I have never carried the nalgene and was going to use it this time for the first time instead of the collapsible cup.

I never carried ramen before. However, last time I backpacked I met a girl that gave me some ramen. For some reason it hit the spot. I look  at it as more of a comfort food/filler. Not to mention it might be a good bargaining chip to trade for something else at the shelters.

I really don't like the bags. I'll likely carry a desani bottle and the nalgene. I'm sitting at 29.6lbs with a full camelbak and an xds 45 attached to the hip belt. I'm not uktralight but I feel like I have cut weight where I can without giving up some of the "luxuries".

I have 3 Deuters and love them. I am interested in an Osprey Atmos 50 AG though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I finished yesterday afternoon. My buddies dropped out at 6.5 miles and I continued on by myself for the next 50 miles. It was the furthest I had ever hiked by myself.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I finished yesterday afternoon. My buddies dropped out at 6.5 miles and I continued on by myself for the next 50 miles. It was the furthest I had ever hiked by myself.
View Quote

Awesome.  What was your pack weight pre and post?  I normally go for under 30 without not counting water.  

On water bottles, I use old plastic tonic bottles.  With a mini and aquamira.  One for drink one for treat
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congratulations!  It is really cool to hear stories about new personal bests.

Did you find anything that was counter to your expectations?  Things you'll do differently?
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats on your new record!  Any thoughts on why your buddies dropped out after 6.5 and how that might be avoided in the future? I'd also be interested to hear how your miles worked out, as well as thoughts on food or other packing items once you found yourself unexpectedly solo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#16]
My pack was 29.6 lbs with a full 100 oz camelbak bladder pre-hike. Unfortunately, I didn't weigh afterward. Only thing different was less food and wetter clothes.

I feel bad about my coworkers dropping out. This was their first time backpacking. I warned them repeatedly about the difficulty, but they both insisted that they could do it. I figured they were adults and could make their own choices. They just couldn't keep the pace and the terrain and pack weight was too much for them. I would still be on the trail if they didn't quit.

I really wasn't too concerned about being on the trail alone. You never really are alone long on the AT, especially on Labor Day weekend. I ran into a 20 year old guy at the first shelter I stayed at. He was on day 6 of his solo trip to Virginia. We hiked together for a full day the second day, camped together a second night, and hiked for 10 miles together the third day before he stopped at a hostel and I continued on. The final (fourth) day, I found myself hiking alone all day. I came across an occasional southbound hiker.

As for gear, I wasn't depending on any of the gear from my friends who dropped out. I had everything I needed.  My meals worked out perfectly and I came home with one freeze dried meal, one ramen, and a cliff bar. I usually pack extra in case I have to extend the trip.

I did get rained on every afternoon. Even if it didn't rain, my clothes were soaked each day. I bring 2 short sleeve and one long sleeve moisture wicking shirts on my trips and alternate shirts, allowing the wet one to dry overnight. I sleep in the long sleeve shirt. Because of the rain and humidity, nothing dried. Not that it would matter, I was usually soaked from sweat from the heat and humidity by noon.

I did encounter 3 bear (mom and 2 cubs), but they kept their distance. I also heard a lot of "bear sounds". I came across a 3 foot rattlesnake sunning right on the side of the trail. He let me pass without even acknowledging that I was there.

As for mileage, it was tough. I have typically done 10-12 mile days on past trips. My itinerary called for 11.5 miles day one, 15.5 miles day two and three, and 11.5 miles day four. By the time you factor in the off trail mileage to water and shelters, my total trip was 56.2 miles.

As for doing anything different, I wouldn't push so many miles in a 4 day trip. 15.5 mile days back to back was really tough. My last day was only 11.5 but had a lot of climbing (Courtroom Bald) and I was already tired. I actually stopped at a shelter 4 miles from my car and seriously debated spending the night and doing the last 4 miles in the morning. Funny thing was, there was no log book in this shelter (muskrat creek), just a bible. I opened it and read about Jesus' trial amd crucifixion. I rested about an hour, drank a starbucks via latte, and muscled through the last 4 miles.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad it went well. Hopefully your co-workers will try it again.

Sorry I missed your previous response to my post. I think you could definitely shave some weight with generic straps and whoopieslings.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Glad it went well. Hopefully your co-workers will try it again.

Sorry I missed your previous response to my post. I think you could definitely shave some weight with generic straps and whoopieslings.
View Quote

I balance weight and convenience. These new straps are only 5.7 oz for the pair and are very easy to setup. How much do generic straps and whoopie slings weigh?

ETA: I just looked them up. They are just like the helios straps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I feel bad about my coworkers dropping out. This was their first time backpacking. I warned them repeatedly about the difficulty, but they both insisted that they could do it. I figured they were adults and could make their own choices. They just couldn't keep the pace and the terrain and pack weight was too much for them. I would still be on the trail if they didn't quit.
View Quote

That's probably fortunate for everyone that they were able to bail out at the 6.5 mile point, as that could have made for bigger trouble further down the trail.  50+ milers are not for beginners, especially in four days.  Hopefully they aren't turned off of backpacking for good.  If they bailed at 6.5, they were probably thinking about it several miles earlier.  Sounds like they could have used a few training hikes.  

Any idea on what their packing lists looked like?  Even if they were ultralight, which I'm pretty sure a beginner wouldn't be and many experienced backpackers struggle to afford, 50 miles would have been a big undertaking for a novice backpacker.  Of course, despite your warnings, they couldn't know that until they tried.  

Doing SAR for many years, I've seen the results of those sorts of plans several times, and, especially with the wet conditions and fatigue that you were able to deal with well as a more experienced backpacker, a beginner can really get themselves and their party into a bad place mentally and physically pretty quick.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I helped them both pack and even loaned some gear. We did a gear check the Tuesday before and all was good. When we got the trailhead, they each had packed about 15lbs each of additional "essential" stuuf they decided they needed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As for mileage, it was tough. I have typically done 10-12 mile days on past trips. My itinerary called for 11.5 miles day one, 15.5 miles day two and three, and 11.5 miles day four. By the time you factor in the off trail mileage to water and shelters, my total trip was 56.2 miles.

As for doing anything different, I wouldn't push so many miles in a 4 day trip. 15.5 mile days back to back was really tough. My last day was only 11.5 but had a lot of climbing (Courtroom Bald) and I was already tired. I actually stopped at a shelter 4 miles from my car and seriously debated spending the night and doing the last 4 miles in the morning. Funny thing was, there was no log book in this shelter (muskrat creek), just a bible. I opened it and read about Jesus' trial amd crucifixion. I rested about an hour, drank a starbucks via latte, and muscled through the last 4 miles.
View Quote

My wife and I are really conservative on our first few days of a longer hike (80-100 miles).  We really force ourselves to keep the first few days at about 10 miles, even if we arrive at our planned stopping point as early as 1400-1500 in the afternoon.  Another reason was to get an early (almost pre-dawn) start on the trail and avoid the afternoon showers.  Eventually we can work up to 15-18 miles (terrain dependent), but the key is to allow your body enough recovery early and ease into the longer distances.  

I had to laugh at your comment about your clothing not drying overnight.  I had the same issue when we finished a 60+ section to the NOC; it was so bad and my clothes so soaked with sweat I was fearing a rash.  Twice, I rinsed my hiking clothes to remove as much sweat-residue and actually built a small fire to dry our clothes out.  Dry underwear, socks and base shirt only lasted a few miles, but it made a good start to the day's hike

Sorry to hear about your co-workers and maybe they will listen and consider a shorter hike next time.  We were up in Tennessee this Labor Day weekend doing a youth group trip with our church.  She took a church friend for a day hike before everyone showed up and it was a really short hike (under four miles round trip...Chimney Tops) and her enthusiastic (much younger and overweight) friend about died only a half-mile into the hike and not even reaching the serious elevation of the last mile.  My wife as a little ticked, but used that to encourage her to get out and do some more hiking, even if shorter distances.  Hiking in one's mind is vastly different when their feet hit the dirt...

I applaud you for continuing on and completing the hike...that first multiday, distance hike breaks the mental barrier.  I am curious to see if you did any gear evaluations and if there were any items you could have cut down or could do without next time?  I've been able to push my base weight down to right around 14 pounds (my HPG Kit Bag with pistol is another 3 pounds) ; with food (7-8 days) and water, my whole kit is right at 30 pounds.  This is a very comfortable weight where I can wear it all day yet still have the balance of essentials and a few comfort items.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#22]
There is always room to cut down weight. I opted for a bigger (heavier) hennessey hex rain fly for my hammock this time since I knew there could be strong thunderstorms. Typically I use the standard fly that came with it. There is also convenience vs weight. My JetBoil Flash is heavy amd bulky compared to other minimalist setups, but I am not willing to sacrifice the convenience of boiling water in 2 minutes. Everytime I backpack, I evaluate what I brought and what I didn't need. There were only a few things in my pack that I didn't make daily use of, but I'm not willing to leave behind. They were "emergency" pieces of gear like a small knife, credit card wrapped in duct tape, and backfill syringe for the filter.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There is always room to cut down weight. I opted for a bigger (heavier) hennessey hex rain fly for my hammock this time since I knew there could be strong thunderstorms. Typically I use the standard fly that came with it. There is also convenience vs weight. My JetBoil Flash is heavy amd bulky compared to other minimalist setups, but I am not willing to sacrifice the convenience of boiling water in 2 minutes. Everytime I backpack, I evaluate what I brought and what I didn't need. There were only a few things in my pack that I didn't make daily use of, but I'm not willing to leave behind. They were "emergency" pieces of gear like a small knife, credit card wrapped in duct tape, and backfill syringe for the filter.

View Quote

I am thinking about getting a smaller backwash syringe just to cut down on the bulk of the one that sawyer sells with the kit. Weight savings is minimal but the bulk of the large on is a little silly. Like just a 10ml.  I am not willing to give up the ability to clean the  filter on the trail that's for sure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#24]
The filter I use inline on my camelbak got clogged on the trip. I was able to blow through the house to clear it woth the water that was in the hose. Given the importance of water, I'll keep tje syringe. I have plenty of unused room in my pack so the syringe size doesn't bother me. I can actually pack everything in a 32L pack, but like the flexibility and comfort of the 50L.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The filter I use inline on my camelbak got clogged on the trip. I was able to blow through the house to clear it woth the water that was in the hose. Given the importance of water, I'll keep tje syringe. I have plenty of unused room in my pack so the syringe size doesn't bother me. I can actually pack everything in a 32L pack, but like the flexibility and comfort of the 50L.
View Quote

I was using it inline on a 3 liter but I wasn't drinking enough water to justify carrying 3 L of it.  It is pretty slick set up though.  Are you treating as well or just going with filtration only?
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I just use the filter.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Awesome job man, sound like a good trip.  Those are the kinds of trips that you'll always remember.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I am thinking about getting a smaller backwash syringe just to cut down on the bulk of the one that sawyer sells with the kit. Weight savings is minimal but the bulk of the large on is a little silly. Like just a 10ml.  I am not willing to give up the ability to clean the  filter on the trail that's for sure.
View Quote

Instead of the syringe, I'm using a Smartwater bottle cap that has the flip top and nipple for drinking which threads onto the smallest Sawyer squeeze pouch.  Fresh water in the small pouch and when aligned the cap's nipple fits well enough to back-flush the Sawyer mini.  I have to check the weight difference, but it's much less bulky.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close to 60 miles in 4 days is more like work than fun, isn't it?  10 miles a day in the mountains is plenty fast enough for me, 8 is even better.  I like to stop early and have a look around without a pack.  Is that why your buds dropped out, too fast a pace?

ADDENDUM:  Just went back and read about your buds.  Just about what I figured.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

What are you using for water?  Have you used that filter before?

I use a 3l Camelback and the Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter.  I hate how big and heavy the water filter is BUT I have QD couplers to pump filtered water directly into my hydration pack and it works faster then anything else I have tried.  Given how well it works, as long as I know there is water where I hike I can carry less water weight.

As for the stove, I like the Primus Omni stove and for four days you would need a big fuel bottle assuming dehydrated foods or the like.

Have fun and bring a small camera to take pics and a seperate small radio or MP3.  Save your smart phone batteries as it could save your life and recharging it while on the move is not possible.
View Quote
What do you mean recharging while on the move isn't possible? There are tons of high capacity portable chargers out there that hold anywhere between 3,000-20,000 mah for less than $40.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats
Why did your friends drop out so relatively soon compared to you ?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Tip:  swap the nalgene for a smart water bottle.  They come with a flip cap that's sized perfectly to also back flush a Sawyer mini.  It's a win-win.

ETA:  damn, should have read page 2 before posting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top