Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2015 7:33:04 PM EDT
i really need more experience in this department.. i mean... " i know how to tie a knot"... but i don't know how to tie the right knot.. if you know what i mean..
is this covered somewhere and i missed it? if knot.. please feel free to drop some knowledged.. 50 pts for the first person to see what i did there!
thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Knots 3D is a great app you can download that may be what you're looking for
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't know the knot, tie alot!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Square knot
Slip knot
Bowline
Clove hitch

This will take care of most of your needs. Simple and practical

3d knot app noted above is nice as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks.. will check that out asap!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Uses of common types

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Uses of common types

Types
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:15:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I do like the on-line tutorials, but in the field, I actually found the Pro-Knot Cards very helpful; especially when just out hiking to an area to set up camp, I've used this for practicing.  

Mooring hitch
Tautline Hitch
Trucker's Hitch
Figure Eight
Bowline & bowline on a bite
Constrictor
Rolling Hitch
Prusik

These are mostly what I use.  I've found to prefer many of the "quick release" knots.  The mooring and trucker's hitches are used often to get a taut line for a tarp or to hang gear.  The tautline hitch is great or improvising a guy-line with adjustable tension.  Simple loops make great prusiks knots which can be used in an adjustable tarp setup.  I use a lot of bowline knots for secure loops that aren't a beast to untie. Lashing knots are very useful and there are numerous methods.  I highly recommend practicing a few variations and pick the one that works best for you.  I'm left handed, so some knots just don't work well for me or are harder to memorize.  

There are a some rappelling, belay and anchoring knots for more serious activities and load-bearing, but these aren't your general purpose camp knots.

There are thousands of knots and multiple variations.  The biggest challenge is to figure out what plan to do or what you think you need the most often and get some tutorials down, simple cheat cards and practice until they're second nature.  Since I don't use knots everyday and mostly when outdoors, the cheat-cards are excellent reminders.  There is nothing more frustrating knowing there's a knot for a certain application and you just can recall the exact method to tie it.  

I'm knot sure if that helps but don't get tied up trying to learn a hundred different knots...find out your most used applications and then practice the knots that fit those applications.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Decades of playing with rope have revealed that if you can tie a "real" square knot (not a granny), bowline and a clove hitch you can tie just about anything you want.  The one knot never devised is the one that binds a woman's heart.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one knot never devised is the one that binds a woman's heart.
View Quote

Maybe....until you find one that is into BDSM.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i really need more experience in this department.. i mean... " i know how to tie a knot"... but i don't know how to tie the right knot.. if you know what i mean..
is this covered somewhere and i missed it? if knot.. please feel free to drop some knowledged.. 50 pts for the first person to see what i did there!
thanks in advance!
View Quote

Clove hitch
Half hitch
San Diego jammer
Bowlin knot
Blood knot

There is a good start
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Handcuff Knot

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been looking at this lately, for my 1st timer I made the grand daughter a bracelet tonight practicing for my hat band knot. My next big project will be a rifle sling tho...
http://www.fusionknots.com/graphics/gallery/knots/
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#15]
What was that knot bear grylls did? The dead man knot or something like that? He tied the knot, then cut it, then climbed down the rope, shook it a time or two and the whole length of rope came down to him?

Said it so you don't lose your rope or something like that??
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What was that knot bear grylls did? The dead man knot or something like that? He tied the knot, then cut it, then climbed down the rope, shook it a time or two and the whole length of rope came down to him?

View Quote

A modified Sheepshank called the Kamikaze Knot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#17]
good stuff guys!  thanks for all the input and keep it coming.. never really realized just how much i do tie knots.. albeit not the proper way if you will.. but.. i seem to tie shit up all the time.  do have one though.. i've seen used alot but just don't know the name or how it's done.. but it's a type of self releasing knot.. see alot of rock climbers/repelling types doing it.. but.. you tie off.. then when you reach the bottom.. you somehow pull or snatch on the rope somehow.. and the rope releases and whalla!!  you've got all your rope back.. enlighten me please!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Decades of playing with rope have revealed that if you can tie a "real" square knot (not a granny), bowline and a clove hitch you can tie just about anything you want.  The one knot never devised is the one that binds a woman's heart.
View Quote

I have to keep it clean in this forum but there is a knot to look for.

Even an old Boy Scout manual or a how to camp book will have more knots than you'll ever need.

Square
Bowline
Hitch and half hitch

They cover nearly all your needs. Add in a truckers or freighters hitch and you have a lot
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

It would probably be best if you forget you ever saw that... I doubt he actually descended on a kamikaze knot

Climbers use what's known as biner blocks or figure 8 blocks and pull cords
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#20]
There's nothing wrong with knowing a lot of knots... but they have to be practiced to be remembered on demand, and if you tie a knot wrong at the wrong time you can really fuck your whole day up.

In the climbing world, we've really been using less and less knots. The bowline is all but abandoned, with the figure-8 being easier to remember, verify, dress, and is overall more secure (the ONLY advantage to a bowline over a figate is that it's easier to untie after loading).

Knots I regularly use and would recommend anyone know:

Figure 8 in it's several varieties (on a bight, follow through, bend)
Square knot (not what most people think it is)
Alpine butterfly
Clove hitch

A trucker's hitch is also a great one to know, if you find yourself lashing a lot of stuff. If you don't, it's just wasted neural pathways, like all these other crazy knots you'll never actually use in the field.

Also, understand the difference between a knot, bend, and hitch. It probably won't save your life, but there's value in knowing and using correct nomenclature.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Handcuff Knot

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Handcuff Knot

Ill advised for, umm, recreation.  Use a Double Column tie for that purpose.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Surprised to see square mentioned so many times -- it's a terrible bend and has a reputation as a "killed more people than any other knot".
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#23]
And I clicked on this thread thinking it was about getting married...

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Surprised to see square mentioned so many times -- it's a terrible bend and has a reputation as a "killed more people than any other knot".
View Quote

Because not every knot needs to have the same qualities as those used for life safety?  A square/reef knot is intended to be fast to tie AND untie, for temporary use under light loads.  It also has the ability to be tied under strain and maintain tightness.  I sure as shit am not tying a sheet bend in my shoelaces every morning.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Square knot
Slip knot
Bowline
Clove hitch

This will take care of most of your needs. Simple and practical

3d knot app noted above is nice as well.
View Quote

Add a taut line hitch (aka a vertical rolling hitch) in there and your pretty well covered.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#26]
thanks for all the info guys.. i've got several pieces of rope..all about 3ft in length that i am going to start practicing with.. we'll see how it goes..or rather the ones that i remember
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top