Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2015 8:13:26 PM EDT
What do you have and how do you like it? I just bought a pelican 65q its almost ridiculously built but heavy as all hell Id like another higher end cooler in the 40/45q size

Yeti orca grizzly what else should I look at?

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Pelican, again.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Funny you should ask --- just last nite, while it was still about 109 degrees in the shade, I was looking at some new cooler offerings at my local Sportsmens' Warehouse, interested to see if there were any  noteworthy developments...

I've graduated from cheap Colemans, thru Igloo "Marine" ('cause they're white, not much better insulated or made), to Yetis, of which I have three, a 45, and two (somewhat differently  configured, but about equal in performance) 25 quart models, with which I am extremely satisfied. They are well made, superinsulated, have thoughtful, practical features and hardware, and unlike the Pelican models I looked at last nite, are fairly efficient in terms of the relationship of exterior dimensions to capacity, important if, as I do, you need to  fit a lot of stuff in a small space such as in my canoe, or midsize truck bed. These coolers hold ice and keep out heat amazingly well, and really come into their own in circumstances when you want to preserve perishables or just have ice for adult beverages after several, maybe many, days in the field, when replenishing ice is impossible. The material tolerates the extreme cold temps of dry ice without damage, something I'm not sure lesser quality coolers would endure.

I doubt that these very efficient and expensive coolers are great investments for  casual users, but they are indispensable equipment for outdoorsmen operating in extremely hot conditions in remote locations --- try to keep your fish and game meat, hides, heads, etc., in triple-digit temps,and you'll soon see  why... One caveat --- these coolers are heavy, empty, and easily loaded to awkward or even dangerous weights --- two  smaller Yetis are better than one large one...

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 65qt pelican and a 25qt Engel. They both work very well. K2 out of Lafayette,  LA makes good ones as well. I did just buy a $20 beater igloo for icing beer down and have been impressed with it.

Agree with the above post,  they are heavy.  I think of them as "truck coolers".
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Pelican > Yeti
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeti.  It is ass searing hot here in Vegas.  The Yeti coolers are the only brands that seem to hold up for long, extended periods outside in the high temps.  I swear by ours.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought my dad a Pelican 65. He uses the hell out of it and loves it. It's a heavy beast though.

Personally, I have a $20 igloo that does everything I need.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#8]
If these are as good as an yeti they'll sell the hell out of them

http://www.rticcoolers.com/phone/index.html
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks promising for the price.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I just bought two Coleman 48qt coolers at Winn Dixie for $7.50 apiece last night. Dunno how long they'll keep ice or hold up (guesstimate: not that long) but for the price I figured what the hey, at least I'll have extra boxes around to shove ice and food into if a hurricane hits us.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep better warranty and 1/2 the price of a yeti need to see some reviews before I throw them some coin
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep better warranty and 1/2 the price of a yeti need to see some reviews before I throw them some coin
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just reserved one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Man, I completely misread that.

I thought you wrote cooters.

Would have been a more interesting thread though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pelican, again.
View Quote
This.

I buy tools and equipment for a career Fire Dept.  Our Mobile Air Unit doubles as rehab with lots of water and Gatorade on ice.  We had traditional Coleman coolers and the ice machine could never keep up because the cooler had to be refilled every day..  I broke down and bought a 95 qt Pelican and now they only fill it once a week, unless they have a call.

And Pelican stands behind their products.  You break it, they fix it, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Man, I completely misread that.

I thought you wrote cooters.

Would have been a more interesting thread though.
View Quote

That would have made the thread a lot more interesting
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Put 40lbs of ice in my pelican tuesday at 730am been in the back of my truck in the sun this whole time and still has ice(10 to 15lbs best guess) I'd say thats pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I just reserved one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just reserved one.

Id really like one of them 45q
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#18]
spend your money on a 12v cooler like a Engel, for only a 1/3 more you will have peace of mind.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#19]
When I got home from work today my 40lbs of ice was finally gone
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#20]
why mess around, by an ARB freezer and make your own ice in it
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

How long did it last?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How long did it last?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long did it last?

730am tuesday till sunday 600pm water was still very cold but no ice left sat in my truck bed in the hot sun all week
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

730am tuesday till sunday 600pm water was still very cold but no ice left sat in my truck bed in the hot sun all week
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long did it last?

Should have lasted longer...I get that out of igloos.   Sounds like you were not draining water the whole time and kept it  plugged.  Once ice melts into water it rapidly deteriorate the rest of ice.  If you were  to refill with ice and leave plug open I bet you double your days.

Serious I have all igloo marine coolers and get 5 day ice retention...I have gone up to 7 days on one that never got opened but once a day.

My heat most likely isn't your heat but we spend many days with heat index of 100 to 105...I am sure your a bit warmer
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I found one of these new/surplus.. Works great.. Keeps things very cold or frozen..

Hemacool

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Should have lasted longer...I get that out of igloos.   Sounds like you were not draining water the whole time and kept it  plugged.  Once ice melts into water it rapidly deteriorate the rest of ice.  If you were  to refill with ice and leave plug open I bet you double your days.

Serious I have all igloo marine coolers and get 5 day ice retention...I have gone up to 7 days on one that never got opened but once a day.

My heat most likely isn't your heat but we spend many days with heat index of 100 to 105...I am sure your a bit warmer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long did it last?

The instructions from pelican and yeti both say to not drain the water
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a 65 and a 20 qt pelican and couldn't be happier. I've had yetis in the past and they are equally nice though more expensive.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Another +1 for Pelican.  I added the 35qt to my gear list for off road/camping trips in AZ and it's been fantastic for the year I've had it so far.  Handily pimpslaps the cheapies.  As others have said though, it's a heavy beast, and not the most space-efficient as far as internal space vs. exterior dimensions.  Worth it though =)

I haven't needed it for any expedition runs yet, but given how much time I managed to get out of that shitty Igloo on the right with some dry ice, I can only imagine how well the Pelican will perform.  

One big thing for me is how good the seal is on the lid.  I spend a lot of time off road, testing the inclinometer on my dashboard.  Have yet to leak a single drop from the cooler (obviously strapped down.)
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:29:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Who has the best deals on the pelican right now?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#29]
If I use block ice (not cubes) in my relatively inexpensive and lightweight big Igloo HD the ice will last 4-5 days in 90+ degree weather if kept in the shade next to my truck.  Never left it in direct sun for long so don't know what those results would be.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got back from a solid week high up/way back in the Smokies.. My yeti 65 didn't get attacked by bears. But it also left the house with 16 frozen water bottles in it, along with all our frozen meats and a few sodas. We were many miles from ice resupply. Usually are when camping, but not always. Still had ice in the water bottles, and frozen bacon when we got home. 8 days from load to unload, cooler outside except for drive where it rode in the pod. High temps around 85 lows around 65..

Are they worth it to just chill some beers on a Saturday for the beach? Nope.

Are they worth it when it's an hour or more each way for ice, and you don't want to go get it anyways, and going to be out for several days? Yep. We camp remote several weeks a year. Love our Yeti's.

Oh, and, after 5 years of owning a Yeti, I did in fact put a Yeti sticker on the back of my truck last week. The one with the elk antler. With luck, I will fill 3 Yetis with elk this fall.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I just reserved one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just reserved one.

Did you ever get it? I just got my 20qt a week ago took forever but damn its nice
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I finally took delivery of a RTIC 20 a month or so back... its nice, built like a brick shit house
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#33]
So are they charging when you reserve one or charging when they fill the order?  I have a buddy who is interested but I seem to be finding they are charging at different times for different people.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So are they charging when you reserve one or charging when they fill the order?  I have a buddy who is interested but I seem to be finding they are charging at different times for different people.
View Quote

I was in one of the early groups and was charged... hell it felt more like a kickstarter.   But, I don't think they are advance charging anymore - maybe someone else can confirm
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I was in one of the early groups and was charged... hell it felt more like a kickstarter.   But, I don't think they are advance charging anymore - maybe someone else can confirm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I thought the same
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah I thought the same
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I thought the same

It could be that I saw older reviews on them then, I didn't pay attention to the dates on them.  If they charge when they ship now, I may be down for one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#37]
So ended up getting an answer from them, they charge your card today and hopefully in 5 months it shows up

Off to look at a Pelican
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So ended up getting an answer from them, they charge your card today and hopefully in 5 months it shows up

Off to look at a Pelican
View Quote

Thats BS and I figured they would have them in stock
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Off to look at a Pelican
View Quote

Yeah... I'm tempted to go back for a 45 but I'm not spotting them the cash for 5 months... Screw that

This, coupled with their initial launch push-backs, makes me think they are pre-funding their POs

Too bad too, my 20 is very nice
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah my 20 is awesome. Is that what the said 5 months out? Thats just crazy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

End of May, which matches what their site says.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id like one of their 45 or 65 but they but not giving them the money to play with for 5 damn months
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Id like one of their 45 or 65 but they but not giving them the money to play with for 5 damn months
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking of springing the extra $60 and buying the 65qt pelican.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#44]
My brother in law has a KYSEK cooler.  Lives in the New Orleans area so they see some heat and stated it works extremely well.  Has some really nice features also.

Kysek Coolers

FWIW
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iirc mine was $270+tax
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top