Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2015 10:47:54 AM EDT
I grew up camping all over the country, including Scouts, but it's been a minute.

My wife is a country girl but hasn't done a lot of camping.

We are putting together great gear to be able to backpack/camp (lotsa great advice here), but we wanna do a high speed multi day school where we learn great habits, from packing to trails to nav to setting camp.

When I train with guns I go to classes with Pat McNamara. Vickers, Defoor and Pannone classes are on the list.

So what's super awesome Train-With-The-Best for adults? NOLS?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd imagine Skurka is as Tier 1 as it gets.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything you are looking for is in a book somewhere. You can teach yourself and save some cash....

One of my climbing partners went on to become a NOLS instructor. Good school - I don't think you would have any complaints.
Interesting story: He worked there for a several years before he got cerebral edema on top of Aconcagua and lost part of his hand to frost bite. He recognized his own symptoms on the summit, knowing he had maybe 20 mins until he would black out, he used that time to tell the students how to build a drag, keep his body warm, how fast to descend, etc. ie: taught them how to save his rear while he could...

Where did he get experience before becoming an instructor?
Well... some of it we learn together. Ya, we bought books but we really learned from going out and doing stuff. We learned to ice climb, did the direct route on Popocatépetl, did a couple of big walls in Yosemite, went into the Palisade Basin, etc. A good example was Popo: we bought a book - Climbing Mexico's Volcanoes -> rental car to Mexicali -> bought train tickets south -> taxi to the base of the mountain -> got wicked headaches but had a blast..... I ended up bumming Mexico for 4 more weeks. Another friend of mine did Orizaba as a guided trip. You camp here today, you do this now, you are going to eat this, etc. Not a bad thing but a totally different experience.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that if you like / need the structure of a class -> go for it.
Being 'here' on xx day was never my thing and going on your own allows you adapt to changing conditions, how you feel, etc.

Set a constant pace and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Only stop for lunch... Push thru the 'wall' and you can go for the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Love the replies, and just to clarify we are looking to get spun up on fundamentals as fast as possible so that we can start heading out and attacking the world. She is already going for her AFF, we both mountain bike and I'm getting into paramotor so not couch potatoes. Part of it is also someone else besides me teaching my wife. Married dudes will understand that dynamic.

I am looking for it to give us the experience and knowledge that we would get from 5-10 trips we take alone, whether it's packing gear, nav, food load or setting camp. Yes it's not rocket science, and I've done it before, but I also shot a lot before I started attending real training classes. My skillet, mindset and knowledge base increased exponentially after getting instruction from a legit ass kicker. Looking for the same high-efficiency learning boost.

Thanks y'all!
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
PS Skurka is the *EXACT* kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Any others?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Google Top of Georgia Hostel.  Sir Packs A Lot has the triple crown of thru-hiking and could probably set you up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The one consistence thing I have learned is do some training at home before you go to the "real training" Use the actual gear you will take on the trip - boots, socks, clothes, etc. I simply put milk jugs full of water in my pack and hike around my property. I start with 20# and I keep adding jugs until I get to 'trip weight'. Your boots will fit a little different with pack weight. You can deal with pack sore shoulders or hips but raw feet will NOT heal and can be miserable. I have not had a blister or pack sores for years because of the above procedure.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Look up ESEE/Jungle Training.  They have some excellent courses in Alabama and one is a more advanced backpacking class.  They mix in some survival training and off-trail navigation. My wife and I are pretty experienced backpackers, but she's quite interested in taking a class or two since it's not too far away.

3-Day Course:

Intro To Off-Trail Backpacking: (3-Days, $100.00) This 3-day class is designed to introduce the student to off-trail backpacking in a relaxed, easy environment. Students will meet the instructors at the Sipsey Pay Site in the Bankhead National Forest at 8:00 AM on the first day. From there we will navigate via trails and off-trail to a remote camp site. During the class the following skills will be covered: basic off-trail navigation using map, compass and GPS (be sure to study our online map/compass course prior to this class), campsite selection, water purification, fire building, cooking, and other skills required for a successful multi-day backpacking trip. This class is limited to 8 students. Gear Requirements: Comfortable backpack, water bladder or canteens, sleeping pad, backpacking tent or hammock, backpacker meals for 3 days, cook pot or stove, small toiletry kit, first-aid kit, headlight or flashlight with extra batteries, good hiking boots (broken in), appropriate clothing, rain gear (poncho or rain jacket), compass (GPS optional), and fixed blade knife. Reasonable physical fitness is required.  2015 schedule completed. Next class schedule will be 2016.

5-Day Course:

Advanced Backpacking:  (5-Days, $200.00) This 5-day class is an extended backpacking trip encompassing on-trail and off-trail hiking. Students will meet the instructors at the Sipsey Pay Site in the Bankhead National Forest at 8:00 AM on the first day. From there we will navigate via trails and off-trail to various remote camp sites. During the class the following skills will be covered: off-trail navigation using map, compass and GPS (be sure to study our online map/compass course prior to this class), campsite selection, water purification, fire building, cooking, river crossings via horizontal ropes, rappelling, and other skills required for a successful multi-day backpacking trip in rugged terrain.  This class is limited to 8 students. Gear Requirements: Comfortable backpack, water bladder or canteens, water filter, sleeping pad, backpacking tent or hammock, backpacker meals for 5 days, cook pot or stove, small toiletry kit, first-aid kit, headlight or flashlight with extra batteries, good hiking boots (broken in), appropriate clothing, rain gear (poncho or rain jacket), compass (GPS optional), and fixed blade knife. Reasonable physical fitness is required.

Randall's Adventure and Training

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Just download the  "online map/compass course". Overall, that has to be the best map and compass guide I have ever seen!  Gives you primer on all aspects but leaves the detail questions to you / course. Looks like a quality outfit.

(Except the black backgrounds are not ink friendly..)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top