Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2015 6:14:35 PM EDT
Ok I am going on an extended trip and have been looking at purchasing a new or newer style extended hike or expedition pack for my trip. Its been a while since I purchased a new pack, and I know things have progressed quiet a bit technologically with these packs in terms of construction and weight.  The only large pack I have is a Large ALICE which has never failed me, and I have been happy with. However I don't really want to use a large external frame military pack , as I imagine flying with one will be a PITA concerning checked baggage.  I have been looking at  60 to 70 liter internal frame packs that are roughly around 62 linear inches ( this is an airline baggage size consideration) .

As crazy as this question may sound, are there any decent deals in Internal frame packs for around $150 ?  I have considered spending more, but I would prefer not to unless everything in that price range is cheap crap. I have even looked at buying a CFP 90  as they are relatively cheap right now on ebay, however that option is  the last pack  on my list as I have found a few used dana designs and Lowe Alpines of that same vintage and price range on ebay as well.

I greatly appreciate helpful input from people knowledgeable about the newer packs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I take it that 62 linear inches is length plus girth, correct?  If so, then the CFP-90 is out for that reason alone.  In addition, the black plastic "duck's foot" that acts as an interface between the shoulder straps and the pack body is frail, and can crack, making the pack almost unusable.  If that part is replaced, then the pack is GTG, but still too large for your purposes, I think.

For an airline-acceptable pack, you might get away with a simple frame sheet, although this might be stretching things.

View Quote

Yes the 62 linear inches is the length , plus girth.   I was unsure about the CFP 90 , thanks for the clarification as I will cross it off the list. I may look at a pack with no frame and try to make a frame sheet as I had not considered that option.  

Thanks again for the advice and suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
http://m.rei.com/product/844651/rei-crestrail-70-pack

I have one of these. No trouble flying with it so far.

For $160 on closeout now if you don't mind last years color.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:09:07 AM EDT
[#4]
REI is having their 20% off sale (on one regular priced item, for members) through Monday. Moosejaw.com, Backcountry.com, Campsaver.com are all offering basically the same deal. Could save yourself a little money if you act quick. Or wait until whenever the sales are in the next quarter.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
REI is having their 20% off sale (on one regular priced item, for members) through Monday. Moosejaw.com, Backcountry.com, Campsaver.com are all offering basically the same deal. Could save yourself a little money if you act quick. Or wait until whenever the sales are in the next quarter.
View Quote

This. All of the big online guys are doing a 20-21% off sale to match REI's 20% sale so right now is a great time to buy. If you can, go to an REI, get fitted, grab the REI, Gregory, or Osprey that fits you and your budget best.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry an Osprey Aether 70. Great pack. Lightweight. Quality. You can probably find it close to that price on eBay or via a closeout on last year's color. I had a larger Gregory to guide out of when working with kids and such but I started carrying nothing but the Osprey and sold the Gregory eventually.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have this pack, I love it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Dont let the airline restriction cloud your judgement, you can always ship it before you leave.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats what I have. Got the Deep sea color and its a little too purpley for my taste, but it has been a great pack.

right now steep and cheep is having a sale on some great packs.

Steep and cheap sale
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the help everyone , I went with a LOWE ALPINE backpack that I liked
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're flexible on the color to stay within your budget, the Kelty Coyote series packs are supposed to be good.

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Coyote-80-Internal-Backpack/dp/B004CXEJWG
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you're flexible on the color to stay within your budget, the Kelty Coyote series packs are supposed to be good.

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Coyote-80-Internal-Backpack/dp/B004CXEJWG
View Quote

used to sell the coyotes.. they were very well built packs, fit almost everyone with its adjustability, and carried a heavy load very well.  The price point is great for them too!  they just are not the lightest due to the heavier fabric, but here in AZ, everything is sharp and the heavier cordura paneled internals sold better due to durability on the trails here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I have used the kelty coyote 80 on a few backpacking trips. It is very comfortable with heavy loads, very durable, and fits very well. Even being stuffed to the max and barely closing the zippers hold up well. It has been on rocks, thorns, and through thick brush and there are no rips or tears anywhere. It is extremely well built and I think it would serve you very well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top