Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2015 6:11:56 PM EDT
Found this bag at the local store on clearance for $29.99.  I know the bag is worth that much but I am curious about the insulation used.  I will be using it most of the year hear in Utah, but mostly warmer weather(spring and fall will still get down to 30 at night).  I haven't ever purchased a bag myself.  They have been given as gifts for birthdays or such so I am not up on what good insulation is out there.  Is this bag going to last for long time or is it worth using the $29.99 for something better like the down that Kelty offers?  What sleeping bag would you recommend up to around the $150 range.

http://www.kelty.com/p-587-mistral-20.aspx?category=sleeping-bags-pads
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Opinions differ wildly on bags, and it really depends on what you expect from the bag and how you want to use it (car camping, backpacking, leave in vehicle, SHTF/BOB, etc.).

My $.02... Kelty makes great stuff for the money and a $30 bag from a reputable company is tough to beat. It sounds like you have reasonable expectations. Basic rule of thumb is add 10F to the bag's rating to get a "real" rating (aka EN comfort rating). As for the insulation, this is a basic synthetic bag, nothing cutting edge, but nothing wrong with it either.

I've said many times that i wish I would've bought a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 for my first bag because they can be had for about $100, are warm (I sleep cold), are down and therefore compressible for backpacking, and down bags typically last longer than synthetic if cared for properly. The new Cosmics use water resistant down like last year's "ignite" version.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  At that price point I don't think I could go wrong.  Even if I get a different bag down the road.  This would still get good use from everyone in the family.  I plan on using it for all around use minus back packing for very far.  Mostly scouts, car camping and hunting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top