Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2015 12:21:38 PM EDT
I'm looking for durable but light enough to pack in a backpack tarp shelters.  

This is what I'd like to use it for:
- hammock camping
- rain shelter
- beach shade tarp
- multi purpose shelter for picnicking under, bench rest shooting under, etc.

Also need some help determining a couple compatible extendable tent poles or hiking poles.

Tell me what you use, what you want, and give me some ideas.  My budget is $150 for tarp and poles but spending less gives me more $$$ to put toward other necessities.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#1]
For value (ideal mix of price and quality), I like the Chinook tarps $50, Etowah/BCUSA $60, or silnylon Borah Gear $99.

I had a chinook it was nice quality but I sold it because I wanted more tie outs and preferred loops vs grommets, both of which should allow for greater versatility. I skipped the BCUSA only because I was able to get the Borah Gear silnylon during their 25% off sale. Even without the sale they were the best value sil tarp I could find, quality appeared better than Chinese made equinox/aqua-quest.

One note about Borah gear, I had an issue with the stuff sack they sent me, but they handled the situation perfectly. I sent them pictures of the issue and they sent me a new stuff sack the following day, great CS and very nice people!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The chinook tarps are pretty affordable.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my yukon outfitters tarp for my hammock. Yukon Rainfly I bought longer stakes, but the guylines that it came with work great.

Also I had never used a real guyline before I bought this tarp, so if not, then watch the video below.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Look at the sil-nylon tarps from Cooke Custom Sewing --- made to order in your choice of fabric weights, colors, sizes, thoughtfully equipped, first class workmanship. I use REI branded poles (same as Kelty,I think). Noah's and similar rip-offs of the original Bill Moss Para-Wing design are OK shade shelters, but inferior rain protection, because of their shape.A rectangular tarp hung over a ridgeline makes a pretty good rain shelter.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the DD 3x3.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top