Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2015 7:41:19 PM EDT
Just throw your sleeping pads on the ground and call it good?

Spending $100 on another light weight tarp just to throw it on the ground or using a heavy cheapo walmart tarp both sound equally unappealing.

Want to make the switch from tents and just trying to sort out the details.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a 5'x8' tarp that's blue on one side and reflective slier on the other. I use it silver side up.

My Thermarest inflatable mattress goes on top of that. I put my sleeping bag inside a US mil issue GoreTex bivey, if the weather is nasty.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Tyvek cut to size?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tyvek cut to size?
View Quote

2.5'x7' tyvek scrap from building site, crumpled up to quiet it down. Quite durable, packs down to the size of a softball, weighs only 4oz, and it's FREE.

Granted, I haven't actually used it yet since I've been gathering gear to use in the coming months, but I'm pretty confident this will work well.

My other idea was to just use my cheapo Outdoor Products blue nylon 5x7 tarp ($9).
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Contractor bag cut down both sides, now it's long enough and wide enough to protect the pad. It's cheap and weighs nothing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

2.5'x7' tyvek scrap from building site, crumpled up to quiet it down. Quite durable, packs down to the size of a softball, weighs only 4oz, and it's FREE.

Granted, I haven't actually used it yet since I've been gathering gear to use in the coming months, but I'm pretty confident this will work well.

My other idea was to just use my cheapo Outdoor Products blue nylon 5x7 tarp ($9).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tyvek cut to size?

Make sure you face it the right way or you'll wick moisture towards you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tyvek cut to size?

Actually that is false. There are many posts across different forums that continue to perpetuate this falsehood. DuPont even admits it is non-directional though of course they'd prefer you to have the branded side facing out/up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
USGI casualty evacuation blanket (basically, one of the heavy duty space blankets that's OD on one side).
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Window film - polycryo
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for the space blankets.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

This for me.  I tried using them as a top tarp but any attempt to really tighten it results in corners being pulled right off, so for me it works best as a ground sheet or just quick cover.

But then again I use cheap tarps for my top tarp.  I like something strong, and I like to have a fire.  Expensive light weight tarps don't like fire.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies. Gonna go try and find some tyvek.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I use half the tarp
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually if you scan the major outdoors on-line stores (REI, Campmore, Backcountry, etc.) for "footprints" on sale you can find some excellent ground covers on the cheap.  I also use Tyvek as it's simple, light and pretty durable.  You just want something to keep your sleeping pad/bag from getting dirty or wet; lots of viable and cheap options.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry a sleeping pad, and a length of Reflectix, that go underneath my USGI sleep system.

Underneath those, I try to find some natural insulation and padding.

It took a couple of overnights to learn that reflective material, and some sleeping pads, act as vapor barriers that can soak your insulation material.

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Tyvek works for me, easy to get and durable enough.

Middle of the summer though I'm not opposed to just putting the pad right on the ground.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#16]
1.2 oz treated 5*8 I made. Has four tie outs...I stake it down...lay thermarest down and bam. If its buggy out the bug net gets staked at the corners.
No where near 100$.... that's crazy retarded.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tyvek cut to size?
View Quote

This is what I use.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Couple years ago I unexpectedly had to sleep out in the woods under a tree while out hunting.
I didn't have anything to sleep on and didn't want to sleep in the truck so I put the sun blocker on the ground and slept on it.
It worked well.  It has some cushion and it is covered in that mylar so it blocked the moisture and cold.  Best of all it was freebe from my bank.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just throw your sleeping pads on the ground and call it good?

Spending $100 on another light weight tarp just to throw it on the ground or using a heavy cheapo walmart tarp both sound equally unappealing.

Want to make the switch from tents and just trying to sort out the details.

View Quote

.......a tarp.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Couple years ago I unexpectedly had to sleep out in the woods under a tree while out hunting.
I didn't have anything to sleep on and didn't want to sleep in the truck so I put the sun blocker on the ground and slept on it.
It worked well.  It has some cushion and it is covered in that mylar so it blocked the moisture and cold.  Best of all it was freebe from my bank.

View Quote

Reflectix is the same stuff but comes in a roll, can be bought at Lowes and is pretty cheap. Lightweight back packers use it for a number of things. I have the same in my car and plan to use it in a pinch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top