Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 2:16:26 AM EDT
What is the best out there for the money?

I have been leaning towards this one: http://www.suntactics.com/product/scharger-12-emergency-kit/

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
This one on Amazon has great reviews and is much less expensive.

Amazon Solar Charger

You can provide your own backup battery and led lamp much cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I've done a lot of research into this and ended up with the Suntactics 5 and 8 watt models.  They are by far the most robust and effective for my uses.  I also like the fact that they don't have internal battery storage as that is often the first thing that fails.  The S-Charger-8 has two ports and one specifically for iPhones that can be quirky with some solar chargers.  I think the 8-watt model is the best compromise if you really need solar power in your backpack.  I typically just pack my HTC phone with the Kindle app and a 6500mAh charger.  These aren't the best for on-the-move, but few chargers are.  However, if we get into camp in the early afternoon (we always hit the trail at dawn) and I can find a well-lit area, I can get some good charging for a few hours.  

The nicest feature that actually works is that you can use your device while it's charging.  This is a good emergency function if your battery dies; all you have to do is find an area with good light plug it in and about a minute later, you can start making calls.  The 8-watt model has a cool feature for one of the ports (auto-retry) that will restart as some devices shutdown if there is no continuous charger (thinking about a big cloud that cuts off the solar charging temporarily).  The USB ports charge at a smoking 1.6mAh...pretty significant and similar to most wall chargers.

These are by far some of the best in the market...best waterproof, shockproof and even claimed to be EMP-proof solar charger (although most your devices would be fried, you solar charger will still work).

I was only going to add that PET laminated solar panels are less efficient and several have a short shelf-life compared to Suntactics moncrystalline cell panels.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This one on Amazon has great reviews and is much less expensive.

Amazon Solar Charger

You can provide your own backup battery and led lamp much cheaper.
View Quote

Edited to add:  This Anker unit delivers 2 Amps, 14 Watts output.  For $60 with free shipping.  

Reviews are 4.5/5 stars with 635 reviews, and they currently have a bundle with the solar charger and an Anker 16000 mah battery pack with a 3 Amp (Total) dual port output for $96 total inc. free shipping.  

The battery ($39) has a rating of 4.6/5 with over 1600 reviews.  There is a code down the page that is for a 10% discount on the battery pack.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, now that you got me interested in this for myself, here's another unit that is well reviewed on Amazon with nearly twice the output of the Anker 14 watt unit.

Instapark Mercury 27

Has 12 Volt and 5 Volt output, 27 Watts, 54 reviews for a 4.4/5 rating.  

Technical Specifications:

Solar Panel Wattage: 27W
Solar Panel Type: Mono-crystalline
Total # of Outputs: 3
# of DC 12V Port: 1
Maximum Output Power: 27 watts
# of DC 5V USB Port: 2
Maximum Output Power: 15 Watts (Combined)
Open-Circuit Voltage: 16 - 18V
Operating Temperature: 0-120 F
Dimensions:
36" x 11.5" x 0.1" (unfolded)
11.5" X 8" X 2" (folded)
Weight: 2 lbs 8 oz

$109.99 with free shipping.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies.

I have seen the Instapark and was considering it but feel the Suntactics is of better quality.

Wondering why Rock6 you don't use the 14 over the 8?  There is only 3.5" in length difference between the two.  You still can put the 14 in your backpack and you get a much faster charging rate.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top