Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 5:45:31 PM EDT
I was wondering what is the run time for the  standard 16.4 oz. Coleman propane tanks.

I am trying to plan my camping trip and how much to bring. I will be using my stove for pretty much every meal, so I figure around 1-1.5 hours of use a day. This may be high, but its better to budget on the high end.

How long would a 20 lb. propane work. They make the connectors for this, and was wondering if I should just bring an entire tank with me for camping?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
how many btu's is your stove and is it one burner or more ? how many days and nights is your trip ? a single burner 10,000 btu stove on high would last like 1-1.5 hrs . there are also 5 and 10 lb tanks and then the 25 lb bbq tank that all would work with the stove or you could even get the tank fill adapter that will let you fill the small Coleman tanks .when we did large scout trips we liked to use the bbq tanks with a propane tree to run a few things.

ETA: if it is a newer coleman stove that has perfect flow technology one 10,000 btu burner  on high will last 2.2hrs or 9 hrs on low
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:05:29 AM EDT
[#2]
We do a LOT of camping.  

We usually use about 4-5 one lb bottles and part of a 20 lb bottle over the entire summer camping season.  Of course, that 20 lb bottle includes running a Champion generator on propane as well as a propane fired water heater.  If we did more boondocking type of camping, we'd use more.  Most of our campsites are at campsites with electricity. I'm probably going to start bringing a 40 lb propane bottle instead of a 20 lb bottle in the future.  

I re-fill all my 1 lb bottles.  Don't pay the stupid prices for propane in the small bottles.  I can't remember for certain but I think it was costing me less than $0.50 per bottle refill.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We do a LOT of camping.  

We usually use about 4-5 one lb bottles and part of a 20 lb bottle over the entire summer camping season.  Of course, that 20 lb bottle includes running a Champion generator on propane as well as a propane fired water heater.  If we did more boondocking type of camping, we'd use more.  Most of our campsites are at campsites with electricity. I'm probably going to start bringing a 40 lb propane bottle instead of a 20 lb bottle in the future.  

I re-fill all my 1 lb bottles.  Don't pay the stupid prices for propane in the small bottles.  I can't remember for certain but I think it was costing me less than $0.50 per bottle refill.
View Quote

I'm not sure hot water heaters really go with 'camping'....  more like glaming. ...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:27:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm not sure hot water heaters really go with 'camping'....  more like glaming. ...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We do a LOT of camping.  

I have backpacked a lot over my lifetime and have spent plenty of time roughing it in very austere conditions.  I don't have anything to prove.  

We enjoy our creature comforts of our camper.  Try it sometime....
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Filling disposable propane tanks is very unsafe.  I have had many leak over the years after a single use.  I had to stop storing them in my RV and would only carry them in a milk crate in the open bed of my pickup.  It absolutely sucks to open the door of your RV and it smells like propane.  Driving a bomb sucks ass.  Don't do it.

I also recommend a single mantel lantern.  Plenty of light, half the mantles, less propane.  A backup LED lantern is a good thing too.

I use a 5lb propane bulk tank for camping.  It will run my Costco BBQ and my two burner stove for a 3 day weekend easily.  I also have a light tower for it, which has several extra connectors on it.  

For an extended weekend where I will be running a high BTU Mr. Heater, I take the larger bulk tank, a 20lb.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I hear you.  Spending a winter night in my boat or camper is like being in a one bedroom apartment.  Now if I can just figure out a way to get them to the other so far out you gotta double clutch lightening places I go.

On the 1lb can cost.  If you refill them right, liquid not gas, big tank upside down, let gravity fill the little tank, you get bout 16-17 cans depending on how well your refill 20 lb tank guy does.  Average retail on the Coleman cans is about $3:50 these days.  So even accounting for different fills, you save about $2.00.  

You aren't even going to save that if you didn't save the little plastic caps, about one out of four of those open top filled cans is going to leak out. Those little camps provide just enough back pressure to prevent that.  

Now don't skimp on the can refilling by using the one gizmo does it all.  That little tank needs to be below the big tank or it will only gravity feed to a partial fill.  Try it right side up, you are going to go, "Holy Crap, what did I do wrong. This sucks.  It lasts no time"  

If you are at the volume, you are considering refilling cans, I highly recommend going to 20lb tanks and use the hose adapter.  You have to have one anyway if you are refilling cans.  Just know if you buy the rubber one and plan to use it a lot on high volume applications like a 9K btu bigger stove, its best to buy a filter or your'll clog your stove up with the little rubber bits.  Another little hint, don't store you rubber hose in direct sunlight.  That breaks it down.  Two burner cook stove or even the little Heater Buddy, you don't really need the filter.  Just flush your line  if its been sitting a while with gas outdoors.  Blow the crap out before you use it.  

Next little tip, have spare 20lb tanks especially if you are using your grill tank.

Another hint, if you are wanting to use your 20 lb tank indoors use the internal thread hose adapter.  It has more threads than the quick disconnect and holds a tighter seal.  Don't forget to turn the tank off when not in use.  It goes without saying, you smell gas, don't light the damn stove.

Now here's a great tip if you are the rather eat grilled food all year round.  Put your grill on your porch in winter so you can go out and back in.  Heck, when I lived on the Great Lakes, I kept mine on my patio right at my sliding doors.  My neighbors would see a hand come out, a lid open hand twist and turn, lid close, then hand disappear back indoors.  I use to grill 20 below of feet of snow.  

Back on camping, every propane lantern I have is a single mantel.  A double is too much light and typically we all use them turned way down.  The gas to light ratio is the same but those mantels don't go out at the same time.  Though I really like the new Coleman clip mantles, a single mantel its not necessary.  Its not like you are going snag the other mantle that didn't burn out.  

Now you really want some input, get me on small electric room heaters.  I have six of those little buggers all different types and save about $100 to $200 a month in winter with them augmenting my heat pump.  

Tj

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We do a LOT of camping.  

I have backpacked a lot over my lifetime and have spent plenty of time roughing it in very austere conditions.  I don't have anything to prove.  

We enjoy our creature comforts of our camper.  Try it sometime....

I hear you.  Spending a winter night in my boat or camper is like being in a one bedroom apartment.  Now if I can just figure out a way to get them to the other so far out you gotta double clutch lightening places I go.

On the 1lb can cost.  If you refill them right, liquid not gas, big tank upside down, let gravity fill the little tank, you get bout 16-17 cans depending on how well your refill 20 lb tank guy does.  Average retail on the Coleman cans is about $3:50 these days.  So even accounting for different fills, you save about $2.00.  

You aren't even going to save that if you didn't save the little plastic caps, about one out of four of those open top filled cans is going to leak out. Those little camps provide just enough back pressure to prevent that.  

Now don't skimp on the can refilling by using the one gizmo does it all.  That little tank needs to be below the big tank or it will only gravity feed to a partial fill.  Try it right side up, you are going to go, "Holy Crap, what did I do wrong. This sucks.  It lasts no time"  

If you are at the volume, you are considering refilling cans, I highly recommend going to 20lb tanks and use the hose adapter.  You have to have one anyway if you are refilling cans.  Just know if you buy the rubber one and plan to use it a lot on high volume applications like a 9K btu bigger stove, its best to buy a filter or your'll clog your stove up with the little rubber bits.  Another little hint, don't store you rubber hose in direct sunlight.  That breaks it down.  Two burner cook stove or even the little Heater Buddy, you don't really need the filter.  Just flush your line  if its been sitting a while with gas outdoors.  Blow the crap out before you use it.  

Next little tip, have spare 20lb tanks especially if you are using your grill tank.

Another hint, if you are wanting to use your 20 lb tank indoors use the internal thread hose adapter.  It has more threads than the quick disconnect and holds a tighter seal.  Don't forget to turn the tank off when not in use.  It goes without saying, you smell gas, don't light the damn stove.

Now here's a great tip if you are the rather eat grilled food all year round.  Put your grill on your porch in winter so you can go out and back in.  Heck, when I lived on the Great Lakes, I kept mine on my patio right at my sliding doors.  My neighbors would see a hand come out, a lid open hand twist and turn, lid close, then hand disappear back indoors.  I use to grill 20 below of feet of snow.  

Back on camping, every propane lantern I have is a single mantel.  A double is too much light and typically we all use them turned way down.  The gas to light ratio is the same but those mantels don't go out at the same time.  Though I really like the new Coleman clip mantles, a single mantel its not necessary.  Its not like you are going snag the other mantle that didn't burn out.  

Now you really want some input, get me on small electric room heaters.  I have six of those little buggers all different types and save about $100 to $200 a month in winter with them augmenting my heat pump.  

Tj

Couple corrections.  When you re-fill the small bottles, gravity doesn't have anything to do with it.  You turn the 20 lb bottle over to make the liquid flow into the 1 lb bottle.  The propane flows into the smaller bottle by the use of the vapor pressure in the larger bottle.  That's why you want to make sure that the bigger bottle is as warm as you can safely make it.  That ensures that you have enough vapor pressure to force the propane into the smaller bottle.  

I've re-filled about 20 bottles or so.  Never had one leak.  I'm sure it'll happen some time.  But, it hasn't happened to me so far.  If it did, I would try to depress the valve with a bent tool and vent a little propane out to try to get the valve to seal.  However, I've still never had one leak.

I like using the propane hose adapter to run small appliances off a 20 lb tank because the 1lb bottles typically run out quickly and they also freeze up quickly if I'm using it on my 3 burner stove.  I also use the filter because some of the hoses can leach oil out of them and that can create problems with the burners of the appliances, particularly a Buddy type heater.  There is a hose that will not leach oil but I don't own one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top