Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 3:28:11 PM EDT
I want to throw an old ipod touch or two in a couple of my go bags and have offline maps and some survival guides on them. might be able to get survival guide ebooks for the two. i need recommendations for offline map apps or survival guide apps for iOS 5 & 6.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
http://slickdeals.net/f/7214144-free-canning-preserving-gardening-ebooks-cookbooks-amazon?p=70587490

Here is a start. The trimble app lets you download maps and routes and topo data etc. I use a sd card and load maps onto it and switch them in and out for offline use.
The slickdeals site has a metric ton of survival type topics. Hope this helps.  

http://slickdeals.net/f/7214144-free-canning-preserving-gardening-ebooks-cookbooks-amazon?p=70587490

trimble outdoors pro from the apps store
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
the sd card thing won't because...well Apple sucks that way, but I will try it and move them on to the ipods by using them as a disc drive
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
That should work for you. I have gone to a site called worldstart.com from time to time when they have inexpensive 7-10 inch generic tablets on sale for around $75-$80.
They are android based, with pretty decent specs and capabilities. Make sure you get one with an SD slot. Opens up the Android world at minimal cost. And if you keep personal details, stuff off if, who cares if lost/stolen.

Worldstart sells a LOT OF CRAP, but their tech tips have been very helpful for a non tech type like me. ymmv
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#4]
i am mainly on android except for the ipod i keep in my truck and an older one i have on back up now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#5]
If you use the google maps app (not the default "maps" app) you can save a map by bringing all of the map you want to save into the screen and typing "Ok maps"

You can then go offline and use your GPS chip to navigate. It saves the fully detailed map.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Before doing any of this stuff...

Verify the devices have GPS chips in them.

If you are using it to just hold maps, go old school and print them or buy them.  Printed maps never run out of batteries because the kid picked it up and played with it for 2 hours, and never go missing because someone stole it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Before doing any of this stuff...

Verify the devices have GPS chips in them.

If you are using it to just hold maps, go old school and print them or buy them.  Printed maps never run out of batteries because the kid picked it up and played with it for 2 hours, and never go missing because someone stole it.
View Quote

I'd like to have both.

And both do have GPS integrated.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Tactical nav.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
pretty sure ipod touches dont have a GPS chip built in
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Tremble Outdoors, but I've found the maps to have some errors and the software isn't exactly user friendly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Google maps has always worked well for me.

Put your ao in the screen and type "ok maps" to cache the map areas you want
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top