Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/8/2014 8:22:11 PM EDT
I'm interested in getting started in the hiking/backpacking world. As a total newb to this realm (besides the casual hike here and there) what advice could you guys offer up as far as gear? I'm looking into short trips only (1-3 days) if this helps any. Also, I live in AL currently, but will be heading to WY in the next year or so. I appreciate any/all help!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you sound like you're starting from scratch - get a good water filter.  Water is number one.  I have a Katydin Hiker and have pulled water from a tire rut in a pinch with no ill-effects.  I'll also recommend MRE's as food because they contain their own moisture and are fully cooked and easy to digest.  Life sucks when you are hiking peaks or a ridge line and can't find water to drink or cook with or when you under cook something like dehydrated vegetarian chili - oh, man does it suck.  Field stripped MREs don't weigh that much anyway.  Skip the fancy cooking gear and get a small burner and a GI canteen cup.  I boil water in it, heat my MRE, then use the hot water to make coffee.  Very efficient and you can cook in your tent if it's raining.  

Finally, don't over-pack.  One extra t-shirt and some spare socks is enough clothes for a few days.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the feedback! You are correct in that I am starting from scratch. I'm trying to figure out what brands are gtg and which to avoid. I'll check out that burner. What is your boil time with it?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Being new to hiking.start with short hikes.Go to your local state parks where most are smaller, where the trails are marked.Most people think you can't get lost or hurt at a National park or forest,cause the rangers are working. they get complacent and are not prepared.A good pair of boots or hiking shoes ,(I like Salomon Quest 4D or Merrell's ) make the difference.For short hikes I take high carb snacks,cliff bars/trail mix etc. A small pack for day hikes & a larger one for overnighters .Always plan for the unexpected when going out. I would go to a place like REI. where you can try on boots & packs. and check out some of their hiking gear.Know your limitations !
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#4]
fpni.

water and food. i've been hiking with my son on the PCT and you never realize how good instant oatmeal and coffee makes you feel until you get them in you after a long hike.

a good, rugged, weather appropriate sleep system is also essential.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer trail running shoes to boots in most situations.  MRE's are too heavy.  Look into an alcohol stove (Caldera Cone or fancy feast stove).  Super easy to use, and usually smaller and weigh almost nothing.  Trekking poles are nice.  Sawyer mini water filter is around $20, weighs a couple ounces.  Easy to use.  

I've hiked all over the US, some gear really depends on season and where you're going.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:24:26 AM EDT
[#6]
yes definitely multiple extra socks. Nothing kills a trip faster than wet socks. Water filter pump is a worthy investment. Obviously a backpacking bag.  I usually use a 55 liter bag and that fits my sleeping bag tent and other goodies inside. Light tents are a plus and can be scored used very cheap. I like boots but I can see the appeal of running shoes. Boots support my ankles way better with a heavy load. If you're a cheap ass like me you can make a denatured alcohol stove out of a can that will boil water in a minute or two. Jetboils can be kinda pricey but are convenient. Pic of stove.  Lots of designs for this online.

Also a basic survival kit and a little knowledge can save your life. ie paracord, outdoor trash bags, compass, duct tape, matches, flint, zipties. You can do a LOT with these basic items. Most everything is ok to get cheap except shoes and maybe your bag, but don't feel like you have to spend 180 on a new bag. Craigslist or a good sale can get you a nice 3-5 day bag under 100. Don't cheap out on the shoes though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For backpacking, go to a local outfitter or REI and get fitted for a pack. You don't have to buy it there (unless you want to), but you need to know what fits your torso.

Don't buy a bigger pack than you need. New people will tend to over pack if they have the extra room. I get by fine with a 3500ci pack, but that depends on your situation and weather.

It will take a few trips for you to decide what is worth carrying and what isn't. That's a personal choice.

My pack today isn't anything like it was when I first started backpacking.
View Quote

exactly how I am, my first trip out my pack must have weighed 50lbs. I had enough gear and food for 4 people. Now I usually tip at 30lbs or so for a 3 day trip. That includes a full 2 person tent and a glock with a reload.

Op follow the tip above:
To go het fitted for a pack. Im partial to Osprey packs myself, Get good boots too. Not much else can ruin a hike or backpacking trip faster than either of those 2.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the info guys! The nearest REI is in Atlanta, so I'll see if I can squeeze by one day. Do they fit the pack while you wait (wasn't sure if it was a lengthy process)? Also, for sleeping, what kind of bags and shelters are hood for the southern region? Our nights are not to bad, so figure the bag would be light duty. What are some good suppliers (brands) for these items?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The pack fitting only takes a few min. You pick out whatever pack you're interested in. They pick the right size for you. Most will even load them with weighted sand/bean bags to give you a "loaded" feel. Then walk around a shop/test out the bag. Test out a few packs
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

exactly how I am, my first trip out my pack must have weighed 50lbs. I had enough gear and food for 4 people. Now I usually tip at 30lbs or so for a 3 day trip. That includes a full 2 person tent and a glock with a reload.

Op follow the tip above:
To go het fitted for a pack. Im partial to Osprey packs myself, Get good boots too. Not much else can ruin a hike or backpacking trip faster than either of those 2.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For backpacking, go to a local outfitter or REI and get fitted for a pack. You don't have to buy it there (unless you want to), but you need to know what fits your torso.

Don't buy a bigger pack than you need. New people will tend to over pack if they have the extra room. I get by fine with a 3500ci pack, but that depends on your situation and weather.

It will take a few trips for you to decide what is worth carrying and what isn't. That's a personal choice.

Op follow the tip above:

First time out everyone is like Chris in the beginning of Platoon.  Books to read, a change of clothes for everyday, etc.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

First time out everyone is like Chris in the beginning of Platoon.  Books to read, a change of clothes for everyday, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Op follow the tip above:

I am a minimalist at heart, so I only take what is absolutely necessary for the most part. I do not need the kitchen sink to be happy! I am really looking to you guy's knowledge to find out what you see as the minimal needed for survival (and acceptable comfort) to make for a great trip (what stuff you find necessary and what brands have withstood the tests of actual field use). I know that good shoes/boots and water and food are necessary (and that some can stomach MRE's while others prefer other brands). I would not be using a hammock, so what pads are good, shelters, bags, etc. is what I am most ignorant about. What does your loadout look like, what's in it, etc. I am really appreciative of all that has been shared and have begun looking already! Keep it coming guys.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#13]
WATER and Water filter.
I prefer dehydrated food stuffs that require water to cook. They are light weight. That being said, I also bring at least ONE nights food that doesn't need water just in case. Streams dry up depending on the time of year. I also take the time to read a map before hand and map out where I can get water from so I don't run out.
Ditch the tent/sleeping pad/pillow, GET A CAMPING HAMMOCK AND A DECENT TARP (At least for solo stuff)
I like my Coleman white gas/gasoline camp stove. Yes it is heavy, but it is simple and burns everything. Plus
A metal bowl and a metal mug with a fold out handle
Grab a fork/knife/spoon out of your kitchen drawer

BREAK IN YOUR NEW HIKING BOOTS BEFORE HITTING THE TRAIL!
Some light weight shoes for when you make camp. Its nice to get your feet out of the boots for the night if at all possible.

A poncho

A SPARE COMPLETE SET OF CLOTHES. This is imperative in the winter, in which case make sure you aren't wearing any cotton.

First night out, grab a bigass raw steak out of your deep freezer and pin it to your hiking pack in a zip-lock bag. Let it thaw all day and cook that som-bitch up for dinner.

Most importantly, COFFEE.

ENJOY!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WATER and Water filter.
I prefer dehydrated food stuffs that require water to cook. They are light weight. That being said, I also bring at least ONE nights food that doesn't need water just in case. Streams dry up depending on the time of year. I also take the time to read a map before hand and map out where I can get water from so I don't run out.
Ditch the tent/sleeping pad/pillow, GET A CAMPING HAMMOCK AND A DECENT TARP (At least for solo stuff)
I like my Coleman white gas/gasoline camp stove. Yes it is heavy, but it is simple and burns everything. Plus
A metal bowl and a metal mug with a fold out handle
Grab a fork/knife/spoon out of your kitchen drawer

BREAK IN YOUR NEW HIKING BOOTS BEFORE HITTING THE TRAIL!
Some light weight shoes for when you make camp. Its nice to get your feet out of the boots for the night if at all possible.

A poncho

A SPARE COMPLETE SET OF CLOTHES. This is imperative in the winter, in which case make sure you aren't wearing any cotton.

First night out, grab a bigass raw steak out of your deep freezer and pin it to your hiking pack in a zip-lock bag. Let it thaw all day and cook that som-bitch up for dinner.

Most importantly, COFFEE.

ENJOY!
View Quote

I like the way you think!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Here would be a good place to start on a tent. I  know its not fancy but I have used something like it for years and honestly if you're not going for extended trips I don't see the point in spending big money on ultralight gear.

40 bucks for a new compact tent. Probably rolls up really small. Use a rock you find to hammer the stakes.  hiker biker tent

I use a small garmin Etrex gps. They run about 100$ but can be a real lifesaver. Just turn it on and put it in the bag and it will track your journey. If you get lost just retrace your steps on the gps. Usually accurate to 7-20 feet.

Sleeping bag will depend entirely on the climate. I don't bring a sleeping pad, I don't find it at all necessary. I don't bring a pillow either, I just sleep on a rolled up sweatshirt or something of that nature. This saves space.

My backpack is a gregory z55. It holds up amazingly well over the years. They can be found on backcountry.com for like 100 dollars. This pack is a good size for 2 nights on up to probably 5 days depending how you pack. Get fitted at REI like someone else said but don't pay REI prices!

Polyester clothing is the best. Nike dry fit works well for me. I usually just wear cargo shorts. I can highly recommend these boots. Good for all conditions besides very cold. Can be found and tried on at REI. Boots

When you go out in Wyoming I'd bring a 44 or maybe a 10mm depending on preference and what part of the state you're in. Anywhere near the Idaho/Montana border and I'd opt for the 44 and maybe bear spray too.

You'll need a "bear bag" for your food at night. This you will tie up in a tree 100 yards away from camp. I have found a canvas sack/ drawstring bag works well. You seal your food in ziplocks in the canvas bag, cinch the bag shut and tie a long paracord to it. Next you tie a rock to the other end of the paracord and throw the rock over a tree branch 20 or more feet off the ground. Grab the rock end of the paracord and hoist your food up as high as you can. Try not to let the bag rest right next to the trunk of the tree but rather out 4 or 5 feet on a big branch. This will help ensure no climbing critters get into your food. Tie the excess paracord around the base of the tree so you can retrieve it in the morning. Also, don't dump food near the campsite. You may already know all this but these are the precautions you take when in bear country. Sorry if this isn't the info you're looking for!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I've have really good luck with MSR gear. Stoves, water filters, pots.
Air mattress I use a thermo-rest trail lite, for a tent I use an Rei half dome, sleeping bags are a mix of Mt hardwear and northface  
I use mt house/backpackers pantry  meals, mre's are too heavy, and around here you have to try hard to hike in an area that doesn't have water.

I usually make up a chicken bento dish at home, put it into an unsealed vacuum bag, freeze it, then vacuum pack it.  It thaws while I hike, and I simply toss it into a hot pan of water until it's ready to eat.

There's a learning curve for what works for you and your region.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#18]
There has been some good feedback above so I'll try to dwell on how to make your transition cost effective and let you start sooner.
-You don't have to have hot food.  My wife and I only use our stove for tea, coffee, and oatmeal now.  In the cooler months (best time to backpack!) you can keep cheese and salami forever in your pack.  Parmesan is very temperature resistant.
-My tent was $40 (Basspro from about 6 years ago).   The lightest tents are held up by one (or two) trekking pole(s) and string tension.  A cheap tent doesn't compare in heat or bad weather to other members tents but it can be light when you remove unnecessary parts (bags, the uni-tasker main pole).  CONSIDER taking this approach and you'll find what you don't like for about $40 instead of getting a $200 tent you wish was a $400 model.  If you're in South AL, consider a mosquito net "tent" instead.  Even lighter...
-Water tablets and a course filter that screws into your nalgene lid is lighter and cheaper than a pen or filter (We use a pen these days for the record).
-A hat and fluffy socks are a lot cheaper than a second winter sleeping bag.
-GPS's are heavy.
-Foam pads are light and thorn proof.  Try the thermarest.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm no expert and not a UL backpacker, but as someone who has just gotten into backpacking over the past 2yr I can share a couple things I've learned/discovered. I'm very frugal, insist on quality but am always looking for rock bottom prices, and while I'm no UL guy I'd say I am "weight-conscious".

Places to shop:
REI (outlet & garage sales)
Steep and Cheap
Sierra trading post
Gear Trade
Left lane sports
The Clymb
Amazon

Nice products I found/Things I wish I bought:
Klymit Static V sleeping pad
GSI microdualist cookset (I always camp w/ 1-2 others)
Osprey/Gregory packs
Sawyer mini filter
Sierra Designs/Big Agnes/REI tents
lightest water resistant down bag for your climate you can afford (learn about temp ratings)
mountain house meals

My first 3 day trip, I managed to be at 32lb with food (campsite had a well). I plan to make some changes in gear and in what to bring that should let me get down below 30lb including water.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#20]
There are so many gear options that is almost impossible to tell you what to get.

Good backpacking equipment is expensive. If you really are moving to WYO, I would do research and get mountain grade gear to start with.

Gear can make or break your trip. Go to REI and ask questions. Don't buy anything until you go home and think about / read a little. Don't be afraid to rent major gear purchases - pack, tent, sleeping bag to get an idea of what works.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info guys! The nearest REI is in Atlanta, so I'll see if I can squeeze by one day. Do they fit the pack while you wait (wasn't sure if it was a lengthy process)? Also, for sleeping, what kind of bags and shelters are hood for the southern region? Our nights are not to bad, so figure the bag would be light duty. What are some good suppliers (brands) for these items?
View Quote

It's not so much a "tailoring" as showing you how to adjust a S/M or L size bag to fit you.  It's like a rain jacket; lots of velcro and straps to make it suit you.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#22]
This pic contains my entire load-out for a three-day, 35 mile hike I did this past August*.  One-man tent, inflatable mat, >40 degree sleeping bag, water filter, canteen, canteen cup, stove, some MRE components, and a spare t-shirt and some extra socks, headlamp, some other little junk... and the pistol, obviously.  It's not meant to be "ultra-light" I just hate coming home with un-used clothes and un-eaten food.

* 10 miles on day one, 19 miles on day two, and 6 miles on the last day - the northern half of the Laurel Highlands Trail in PA.  

This is me.  My wife took the pic after dropping me off on the side of the highway:

Mile marker 70, the end (they lie, it was another mile to the parking lot):

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#23]
nvm
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm no expert and not a UL backpacker, but as someone who has just gotten into backpacking over the past 2yr I can share a couple things I've learned/discovered. I'm very frugal, insist on quality but am always looking for rock bottom prices, and while I'm no UL guy I'd say I am "weight-conscious".

Places to shop:
REI (outlet & garage sales)
Steep and Cheap
Sierra trading post
Gear Trade
Left lane sports
The Clymb
Amazon

Nice products I found/Things I wish I bought:
Klymit Static V sleeping pad
GSI microdualist cookset (I always camp w/ 1-2 others)
Osprey/Gregory packs
Sawyer mini filter
Sierra Designs/Big Agnes/REI tents
lightest water resistant down bag for your climate you can afford (learn about temp ratings)
mountain house meals

My first 3 day trip, I managed to be at 32lb with food (campsite had a well). I plan to make some changes in gear and in what to bring that should let me get down below 30lb including water.
View Quote

Great stuff! I'll start checking some of these things out. I appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:59:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Good shoes/boots and socks are essential for hiking any distance.
It is climate dependent, but I like REI expedition wool socks, if it's not hot out.  (Frankly, even when hot, they aren't bad.)
I'll second the Klymit Static V pad.  It gives me enough cushion to get my hip off the ground (side sleeper), and rolls up pretty darn small.  
Add a closed cell foam pad or Thermarest if it's cold.  Insulating you from the ground is important, when cold.
Kelty, REI, Osprey, and a bunch of others make good packs.  Go find something appropriate to you.
Sleeping bags--synthetic is heavier/bulkier but tends to insulate when wet.  Down requires a little more care.  I have an older Sierra Designs bag, and it is pretty nice.  I also have a Snugpak that works pretty well.  Look for some reviews on the styles you are interested in.  I'd also recommend getting a bag 10-20 degrees colder than the weather you expect.  
Hydration bladders are good if you are on the move.  Source, Camelbak, and Platypus are popular.
Katadyn, MSR, and Sawyer make good filters.
Find a headlamp you like, they are super convenient!
A good pocket knife or multi-tool is good to have around.  I like Victornox, Leatherman, CRKT, and Spyderco, personally.
If you only intend to heat water, an Esbit stove and nesting canteen/bottle cup is a good combo.
I'm partial to Guyot Designs utensils, but starting out, just about any will work.
Bic/Scripto lighter is light and handy.

I like to have back-ups to everything, which can get heavy, so learning skills so you can make use of things in unconventional ways or make gear out of natural materials is pretty handy.  (Need a pot lifter?  How about that stick?)
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:08:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Check out the forums on backpackinglight.com.  

A lot of those folks have a different mindset than your typical arfcommer, but there's enough there to keep you reading for a long time.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:01:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Here's my set up from a 3 night trip in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness in WA this year.

If you look close, you can see the water filter on the Smartwater bottle.  The only thing I plan to change out is the sleeping pad.  I'm a side sleeper and my arm kept falling asleep with the foam pad.  Going back to an inflatable, most likely a Neoair xlite.  The tarp worked great if you don't mind the occasional mouse running by your head.  Also have a tent depending on where/when I'm camping.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#28]
There's a meetup group in Atlanta that hosts "Backpacking Boot Camp" overnight classes for ~$25.  If you're just getting started, something like that would be very helpful.  Maybe there's something similar in your area?  REI also hosts classes, but they're a bit pricey.

Quoted:
Here's my set up from a 3 night trip in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness in WA this year.

If you look close, you can see the water filter on the Smartwater bottle.  The only thing I plan to change out is the sleeping pad.  I'm a side sleeper and my arm kept falling asleep with the foam pad.  Going back to an inflatable, most likely a Neoair xlite.  The tarp worked great if you don't mind the occasional mouse running by your head.  Also have a tent depending on where/when I'm camping.  

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii88/inferno715/campsetup_zps6ff0c1d7.jpg
View Quote

What tarp is that?  You've braver than I am - I've tried tarping, and never been able to get comfortable with it.  Too many spiders on the ground for me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#29]
It's a Granite Gear White Lightnin'.  It's around 1lb.  I don't mind it, but it might suck if it's windy and or raining.  I think there are other tarps that use less tie offs/stakes.  This one was around $100.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#30]
To start, do not attempt anything "Ultralight." The ultralight mindset is about what you can leave behind without it killing you. You don't know that, trying to go ultralight will get you killed.

Get a good pair of footwear. Start with a pair of hiking shoes. Don't go for boots, don't go for Gore-Tex, don't go for light weight trail runners. Get a pair of hiking shoes. They should cost around $100-150. Get them from a legitimate outdoor store, not Wal-Mart or Dicks. Look at Vasque and Merrel. But go with whatever fits and feels good.

Get a good pair of wool or synthetic socks with the shoe.

Then buy a backpack in the 50-65 L size. Kelty is a good brand for the price, I like the Lakota 65. If you want to spend a little more money, buy an Osprey Atmos 55, and buy it from a store where they can fit you for the pack. DO NOT BUY AN EXTERNAL FRAME PACK. They suck, and they are the devil.

Next, get a sleeping bag. It should be synthetic, and a 35 degree bag. Once again, Kelty is a good brand for the price, as is ALPS Mountaineering (The Clearwater 35 is a great starter bag)

After this, go get a lightweight stove from MSR or Snowpeak or Optimus that runs on Isobutane. Get a water filter, from either Katadyne or Sawyer and a tent from Kelty (I like the Grand Mesa 2)

Buy a Marmot Precip Jacket, and two pair of Ex Officio Give-N-Go compression shorts (You will thank me later)

Now, spend the spring reading everything you can about outdoor skills. Read the first section of Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills. Read "The Complete Walker" and ignore any gear recommendations. Focus on learning the skills and theory. Read the current edition of the BSA Handbook and the Field Guide. Learn how to purify water, leave no trace, campsite selection, layering, etc.

When the temperature is above 50 degrees in the evening, start planing short trips. Go out for two or three days. Go with friends, preferably friends who know what they are doing and are willing to teach you. Keep your trips short. When I take new people out, I aim to cover about 6 miles a day.

After every trip, look at everything you used. What worked? What didn't? What was too heavy? What did you never touch?

After spending the summer backpacking, when there's more margin for error (It's harder for heat to kill you than it is for cold), start evaluating what you like and what you don't like. Don't like the sleeping bag? Get a new one with the features you like. Start evaluating your gear based on your experience.

What I've recommended is heavier weight gear, but it gives you a solid platform to decide what you like and don't. If you decide you want to go lighter weight and farther, start looking at ultralight stuff. If you decide that you want to go in the winter, start looking at warmer clothing. It all depends on what you want to do.

Most of all, take your time, and have fun. The trail will always be there, and backpacking should be fun. If you're miserable, you don't need to be out there.

Here's me five years ago on my first ever self supported backpacking trip that I planned and brought all my own gear for:

That pack is probably 35 pounds, I'm over dressed, and have way more crap than I need, and I've just hiked 15 miles in three days, which is the farthest I'd ever hiked in my life. And I'm having a ball

Five years later, this is me at mile 8 of 43, with 13 pounds on my back.

Backpacking will take you awesome places!

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome places indeed.  

Foggy morning on the beach of Lake Superior; Picture Rocks National Lake Shore:

Drinking a "Victory Martini" atop Mt. Saddleback in the Adirondacks:

Oil Creek State Park:

Isle Royale National Park (there's a moose on the trail behind me):

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can you tell me a bit about how you got so light?  I am trying to get there (cheaply) but I am struggling because between my wife and I, I usually carry the team parts such as tent and kitchen.

What did you change that made the most difference that wasn't new gear?

OP, sorry to hijack.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
To start, do not attempt anything "Ultralight." The ultralight mindset is about what you can leave behind without it killing you. You don't know that, trying to go ultralight will get you killed.

Get a good pair of footwear. Start with a pair of hiking shoes. Don't go for boots, don't go for Gore-Tex, don't go for light weight trail runners. Get a pair of hiking shoes. They should cost around $100-150. Get them from a legitimate outdoor store, not Wal-Mart or Dicks. Look at Vasque and Merrel. But go with whatever fits and feels good.

Get a good pair of wool or synthetic socks with the shoe.

Then buy a backpack in the 50-65 L size. Kelty is a good brand for the price, I like the Lakota 65. If you want to spend a little more money, buy an Osprey Atmos 55, and buy it from a store where they can fit you for the pack. DO NOT BUY AN EXTERNAL FRAME PACK. They suck, and they are the devil.

Next, get a sleeping bag. It should be synthetic, and a 35 degree bag. Once again, Kelty is a good brand for the price, as is ALPS Mountaineering (The Clearwater 35 is a great starter bag)

After this, go get a lightweight stove from MSR or Snowpeak or Optimus that runs on Isobutane. Get a water filter, from either Katadyne or Sawyer and a tent from Kelty (I like the Grand Mesa 2)

Buy a Marmot Precip Jacket, and two pair of Ex Officio Give-N-Go compression shorts (You will thank me later)

Now, spend the spring reading everything you can about outdoor skills. Read the first section of Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills. Read "The Complete Walker" and ignore any gear recommendations. Focus on learning the skills and theory. Read the current edition of the BSA Handbook and the Field Guide. Learn how to purify water, leave no trace, campsite selection, layering, etc.

When the temperature is above 50 degrees in the evening, start planing short trips. Go out for two or three days. Go with friends, preferably friends who know what they are doing and are willing to teach you. Keep your trips short. When I take new people out, I aim to cover about 6 miles a day.

After every trip, look at everything you used. What worked? What didn't? What was too heavy? What did you never touch?

After spending the summer backpacking, when there's more margin for error (It's harder for heat to kill you than it is for cold), start evaluating what you like and what you don't like. Don't like the sleeping bag? Get a new one with the features you like. Start evaluating your gear based on your experience.

What I've recommended is heavier weight gear, but it gives you a solid platform to decide what you like and don't. If you decide you want to go lighter weight and farther, start looking at ultralight stuff. If you decide that you want to go in the winter, start looking at warmer clothing. It all depends on what you want to do.

Most of all, take your time, and have fun. The trail will always be there, and backpacking should be fun. If you're miserable, you don't need to be out there.

Here's me five years ago on my first ever self supported backpacking trip that I planned and brought all my own gear for:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/195878_1867673578962_125897_n.jpg?oh=84ae6f933a1a3769df1a78eb7f4b0029&oe=550D40AA&__gda__=1426484106_bcc12c4704dcd77cdf67df2802b1986e

That pack is probably 35 pounds, I'm over dressed, and have way more crap than I need, and I've just hiked 15 miles in three days, which is the farthest I'd ever hiked in my life. And I'm having a ball

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10696433_10202753747952213_3309137574583991532_n.jpg?oh=6b7a12d20c909b894a391e3de80da6bc&oe=550497CE

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10731119_814635678597579_644601903415981192_n.jpg?oh=2ec2241b7d8e1ce52addc9161a5fc3b5&oe=54FBD801&__gda__=1426636604_95c397cc9424092d6d4a47977e7de140
View Quote

Thanks for the advice RC. Sounds like you have covered a lot of ground! All the recommendations have been great guys....I have been busy looking around at the different options, and man are there options!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Can you tell me a bit about how you got so light?  I am trying to get there (cheaply) but I am struggling because between my wife and I, I usually carry the team parts such as tent and kitchen.

OP, sorry to hijack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, sorry to hijack.

Hijack away good sir! I am interested in knowing as well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Pr3ach3r -

There are quite a few guys here on the forum that have years of backpacking in. If you are serious about this - do some reading first and ask informed questions....

The one big tip I can give you is 'train' before your trips. I keep in reasonable shape ->  I live on a hobby ranch with daily farm animal duties. I TRY to do a 2 mile run / walk every other day, ride my bike frequently, etc. But... I always train for every trip because the only way to get into backpacking shape is to put your boots on and carry your gear. Having a blister, sore shoulders / hips or chaffing from different clothes is a total bummer and will NOT heal on the trip. If you start off slow with training, you can be 100% pain free on the trip. You can train right in your own neighborhood or park, no need to drive somewhere. Wear the clothes you will use on the trip.

Another thing I have found to do is a constant full body 'system check' while on the trail. If you feel any weird stuff - twinge in your knee, hot spot on your foot, etc. - change what you are doing. Example: knee twinge - by slightly rotating your toes in or out while walking, I can almost always kill the pain. I guess what I'm really trying to say is switch up which muscle groups you are using as you go. BTW - fix the boot hot spot right away, It will not get better on it's own... Change the way you have your pack straps adjusted once in awhile to shift the load around, etc.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#36]
From my time in Yellowstone.

You will see some amazing shit backpacking and/or camping in general.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pr3ach3r -

There are quite a few guys here on the forum that have years of backpacking in. If you are serious about this - do some reading first and ask informed questions....

The one big tip I can give you is 'train' before your trips. I keep in reasonable shape ->  I live on a hobby ranch with daily farm animal duties. I TRY to do a 2 mile run / walk every other day, ride my bike frequently, etc. But... I always train for every trip because the only way to get into backpacking shape is to put your boots on and carry your gear. Having a blister, sore shoulders / hips or chaffing from different clothes is a total bummer and will NOT heal on the trip. If you start off slow with training, you can be 100% pain free on the trip. You can train right in your own neighborhood or park, no need to drive somewhere. Wear the clothes you will use on the trip.

Another thing I have found to do is a constant full body 'system check' while on the trail. If you feel any weird stuff - twinge in your knee, hot spot on your foot, etc. - change what you are doing. Example: knee twinge - by slightly rotating your toes in or out while walking, I can almost always kill the pain. I guess what I'm really trying to say is switch up which muscle groups you are using as you go. BTW - fix the boot hot spot right away, It will not get better on it's own... Change the way you have your pack straps adjusted once in awhile to shift the load around, etc.
View Quote

Understood Ranch, the reason for the questions was because I was totally clueless and needed a direction to start in. I too train very frequently. I have been running/walking/hiking for four miles a day for the past year, along with weight training. I appreciate your insight and reply! I just needed a place to get started and the guys here have really helped out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Sometimes finding good places to hike is difficult.  You may have noticed none of my pics are from Ohio.  Ohio is a miserable place to be an outdoorsman.  Alabama looks promising though.  I'm going to suggest starting on this site and find yourself a loop hike close to you.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm going to suggest starting on this site and find yourself a loop hike.

View Quote

Man, that is awesome! Thanks so much for this site. I'm already in the planning stages.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

OP, sorry to hijack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP, sorry to hijack.
New gear.

Really, there's only so much you can cut before you start having to slash weight from "The Big Three" (Pack, Sleeping Bag, Shelter). I've slashed two of the three, and am in the process of doing the third.

Some tips though. When buying any gear, go for the lightest available that suits your needs. I don't have an ultralight pack by Gossamer Gear or Golite, but I have an Osprey Exos, it's 2.2 Lbs, and is the lightest pack on the market with a full suspension and frame.

I am really anal about food weight. Essentially, when I'm outside, food is for calories. My usual menu is Cliff Bars/Nuts for lunch, and a Mountain House meal for dinner. A day's worth of food weights one pound for me.

I bring very little spare clothing. I bring maybe a clean pair of socks, and a spare shirt, and that shirt is lightweight polypropylene.

Also, I hike mostly on the AT, so I don't bring any form of shelter. I rely on the trail shelters, and just put my pad and sleeping bag down on the floor. That saves me a huge amount of weight.

So, a typical packing list for a three day summer trip on the AT will look like this:

Pack: 2.2

3 L Camelback with Sawyer Mini filter spliced into the line: 6 Lbs full weight, but if I know where water is, I'll only fill it half way up, and filter at the campsite, so I'm averaging 3 lbs.

Three days food: 3 lbs

Rain Jacket: 14 oz

Titanium Pot, Stove, four oz fuel can: .75 lbs

Sleeping Bag and Pad: 4 Lbs

Headlamp: 9 oz

That puts me at 10.5 lbs-ish, and add a full Camelback, I'm at 13. Add in a softshell (14 oz) and a down jacket hat/beanie/gloves and I'm up to 16 lbs, and ready for fall.

If I'm somewhere where I need a shelter, in the summer, I take an ENO hammock system, and that adds 3 lbs with the fly, hammock, and straps.

If I'm going somewhere flat, and I have to take a tent, that puts me at 5 lbs, 4 for the tent, and an extra pound of food to shut up my complaining for having to haul the tent

I don't think I've hiked with a pack that weights more than 20 lbs in years. Until I decided to start climbing mountains, and then I had 35 pounds of water and steel on my back.

Th biggest thing you can do is get rid of the Boy Scout "Be Prepared" mantra, and go to a "Be Smart" mindset. I don't carry a first aid kit, because I'm either going to give myself a small cut that I can deal with for a few days, or call 911.

I don't carry a map, because I'm on the AT where I follow the white blazes. I don't usually carry a firearm when I hike, because the odds of me needing it are lower than the 5 pounds of useless weight I'm going to have to haul up 12,000 feet of elevation gain/loss.

But if I'm doing something dumb, or something where I'm going to loose cell reception, I bring a FAK. If I'm in bear country, I bring a firearm.

Essentially, if I've brought a general use item on two trips and haven't touched it, I don't put it in my bag.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
<snip>
View Quote

I'm really curious, why a synthetic bag?

I bought a Snugpak sleeper lite, it's a great bag especially for the money, but I wish I had a down bag that was more compressible and, as a bonus, lighter. Had I known better I would've grabbed a quality clearance/outlet $180 down bag, but now I'll simply have a loaner/spare.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I bought a Snugpak sleeper lite, it's a great bag especially for the money, but I wish I had a down bag that was more compressible and, as a bonus, lighter. Had I known better I would've grabbed a quality clearance/outlet $180 down bag, but now I'll simply have a loaner/spare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

A synthetic bag makes a better starter bag because it's more forgiving of equipment failure/poor planning.

Cheap tent leaks on your synthetic bag? Miserable night. Pick a bad campsite because you're new to being out in the woods and your bag gets wet? Miserable night. Step on your bag, or catch it on some rocks or something? Torn bag, chance to practice using your patch kit.

Do any of that to a down bag? Dead.

Ok, maybe not dead, but you're in a much worse situation with a down bag than a synthetic bag. When you're first learning how to care for and use your gear, better to go with hardy, and then after you get sick of lugging your heavy synthetic bag around, you can spend $600 on a 1 lb down sleeping bag, and threaten to break the fingers of anyone who breathes on it

Example of this: First night out in the woods in colder temperatures. Normal response is to pull your head inside your bag and bundle yourself up in the space heated by your breath. Do that in a synthetic bag, and when the moisture in your breath cools, you get a really memorable lesson on "why you don't do that," but your bag still has some lofting/insulatory ability. In a down bag, unless you spent a lot of money on treated down, your breath just caused the down to wet out, and now you're properly screwed.

Synthetic insulation overall is much more forgiving of mistakes than down, in both sleeping bags and jackets, and that's why I usually recommend that beginners go with it while they learn.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:02:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A synthetic bag makes a better starter bag because it's more forgiving of equipment failure/poor planning.    

Cheap tent leaks on your synthetic bag? Miserable night. Pick a bad campsite because you're new to being out in the woods and your bag gets wet? Miserable night. Step on your bag, or catch it on some rocks or something? Torn bag, chance to practice using your patch kit.

Ok, maybe not dead, but you're in a much worse situation with a down bag than a synthetic bag. When you're first learning how to care for and use your gear, better to go with hardy, and then after you get sick of lugging your heavy synthetic bag around, you can spend $600 on a 1 lb down sleeping bag, and threaten to break the fingers of anyone who breathes on it

Example of this: First night out in the woods in colder temperatures. Normal response is to pull your head inside your bag and bundle yourself up in the space heated by your breath. Do that in a synthetic bag, and when the moisture in your breath cools, you get a really memorable lesson on "why you don't do that," but your bag still has some lofting/insulatory ability. In a down bag, unless you spent a lot of money on treated down, your breath just caused the down to wet out, and now you're properly screwed.

Synthetic insulation overall is much more forgiving of mistakes than down, in both sleeping bags and jackets, and that's why I usually recommend that beginners go with it while they learn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Is a down bag lighter? I've only dealt with cheap synthetic ones in the past (long ago). Where do both rate on compression abilities?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:12:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Down bags are lighter.  My down bad compresses way more than my synthetic bag, and weighs 1.5-2lbs less.  It was around $475  , vs. $200 for the synthetic bag.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:11:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Down bags are lighter.  My down bad compresses way more than my synthetic bag, and weighs 1.5-2lbs less.  It was around $475  , vs. $200 for the synthetic bag.
View Quote
Ditto. A down bag is infinitely nicer, and far more expensive.

Down will pack smaller, will be lighter, will be warmer, and will cost two to three times what the equivalent synthetic bag will. To equal the performance of a mediocre down bag with synthetic requires some decent coin, and even then, you still won't be able to go as small or as light.

But for summer backpacking, you don't need a  crazy nice down bag. It's overkill, you can get away with no sleeping bag, or a lightweight 40 degree bag. For fall, you can get away with a 35 degree synthetic depending on weather and terrain. I'm in an ALPS Clearwater 35 while I save my pennies for a Marmot Plasmid 15. I've also used the Kelty Cosmic 40 Down sleeping bag, but I much prefer the 35, and a 20 degree Kelty down bag is about the same weight as my ALPS bag, so I'm holding off on buying anything for below freezing till I can get something really nice.

But as a starter all around bag, you can't go wrong with a 35 degree synthetic. There is no such thing as a jack of all trades bag, but the 35 degree synthetic is probably the most versatile bag you cna own.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I've had nothing but bad luck with my msr xgk (winter camping stove). I've been through 3 pumps in two years so it's on the back burner for me. I use an esbit folding cooker or a trangia alcohol stove with a collapsible stand (if I bring the trangia I bring trioxine tabs as a back up.  I haven't slept in a tent in almost 2 years except for winter camping. My last tip it got down to the low 40's at night. I was sleeping under a British army basha (the Aussie version is a bit lighter) I had a bivy bag and a poncho liner the I made a sleeping bag out of. I put my fleece and a watch cap on and passed right out. I've also used a catoma pop up bed net under the basha at the height of bug season but I just got a snugpack backpackers net to try out this year.

A lot of good advice here. One thing my wife found that I had never heard of was a gravity filter for water.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#48]
On the topic of bags, one thing to consider is a quilt.  

I got one this summer, and I had no idea what I was missing.  I got a 40*F top quilt from underground quilts.  It is overstuffed as much as I could with 850 goose down, and weighs just over a pound.  I've only used it four nights, the coldest in the mid-low 40's.  I was warm as toast.  

I'm not a hammock guy (yet), but I think that's the group that really brought quilts into the mainstream.  I've never used one in colder weather, but I'm strongly thinking about getting a 20*F from the same people.  

They ain't cheap, but so far I love mine.  Had I known about these 15 years ago I'd have never bought a sleeping bag....

Something to research before you drop cash on a bag anyway.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Lots of great advice.  Since you're close to Atlanta, do hit the REI.  They have stuff to fill a pack if you don't and you can get fitted and walk around the store for a while to test out.  Gregory and Osprey are two of the better brands off the shelf for comfort.

Your budget has a lot to do with pack weight, but many have mentioned a few extra pounds will save you a lot of money and you don't need to invest the higher end stuff to get started.  I much prefer dri-down for may bag due to compression and weight, however, you can save $200-300 with a very functional synthetic bag which only adds a little extra bulk and weight.  Advice about synthetic bags is good as they are more forgiving.  Down bags require a little more attention and I wouldn't recommend them until you start getting serious about doing lengthy distance hikes.

Good footwear is essential, but a very personal choice.  I'm moving more towards minimalist foot wear, but I still like some ankle support even if for psychological reasons.  I've preferred Merrell and Vivobarefoot.  Unless you're doing expedition mountaineering, don't go for the overly-built, heavy hikers.  REI will always insist the heaviest boots for "ankle support", but if you keep your pack weight reasonable and you're not hiking scree all day, you can get by with lighter-weight trail hikers.

Not sure if you've found a shelter, but they are a lot like sleeping bags.  Cheaper, functional tents can be a good budget and still provide performance but with the penalty of weight and bulk.  On the low end, I picked up a small solo tent from ALPS that was inexpensive but a very quality tent for 2-3 season use here in the SE.  I have a few higher end Tarptents that are much more compact and weigh less, but price isn't the advantage.  

Regardless of your tent choice, tent maintenance is essential...making sure your fly is water-proofed properly is a must and even a simple Tyvek footprint will extend the life of your tent floor.  I only use tents during the winter; 8-10 month out of the year, I choose a hammock...just my choice for comfort.

Clothing is a good investment and you should focus on layers.  We hike mostly in North GA and have been doing AT section hikes (currently up to the Smoky's); my wife did a 115 miles this past summer (I joined her for the last 60 miles).  I just have one set of clothes, but layers allow me to keep my "sleep" clothes clean and dry and layer according to weather or maintain thermo-regulation.  Even for short trips, I always pack at least an extra pair of wool socks to rotate and one pair dedicated to sleeping or emergencies.  Don't skimp on quality socks...these are a very good investment.

Quality synthetic hiking pants are my preference; convertibles are extra nice as I heat up on longer hikes even in 30-40 degree temps.  If weather is really going to be wet, I have some eVent rain pants, but I always pack a good rain jacket (OR Helium).  I'm another advocate of Ex Officio underwear...on the high end and for cooler weather Merino wool is another good option.  

For most ranges of temps in the SE, I wear a light weight T-shirt (either synthetic or lightweight wool).  For me, the best layering top is a synthetic button-up, long sleeve shirt.  I like Craghoppers, but they allow me to layer when it's cold or wear solo if my T-shirt is soaked.  Being synthetic helps it to dry quickly and the button front and roll-up sleeves allow me to adjust to temp changes and regulate body heat.

There are numerous mid-layers to choose from.  My primary is a Sierra-Designs dir-down jacket.  Like a down bag, it requires more care, but nothing warms you up fast than down and they are tops for weight and minimal bulk.  I prefer having a hooded option and thumb holes are excellent if you're wearing an outer shell.

My "sleep" and augmenting layering options are pretty much the same but material changes with seasons.  Outside of local summer hikes, if I'm in and around the mountains (even in the SE), I pack a lightweight wool hoodie (Icebreaker). My bottoms are either Polartec silk-weight or lightweight wool long johns.  These can be worn as a base layer and added to my hiking pants with rain shell for really cold temps.  I can also wear them solo or with the rain pants if my hiking pants get soaked during river crossing (or accidental fall in the water).  

I pack 2-3 extra pair of socks and for longer trips, I'll add an extra pair of underwear.  Those Ex Officio briefs can actually be washed and dried out quickly, but a fresh set of underwear and socks are bliss on longer hikes, even if saved for the last day.

Again, more for caution, I almost always pack a fleece watch cap and lightweight wool or synthetic glove liners.

Just some random thoughts on other gear:

I do have a more expensive Exped sleeping pad that I love, but a cheaper Z-Rest (if you don't mind attaching externally) is a good choice to get started.  I actually pack a section (six sections) of a Z-Rest folded up and against my back in my pack.  Adds enough insulation in my hammock for the summer and extra to my inflatable sleeping pad when using a tent during colder trips.

I do have a nice cuben-fiber rain cover, but highly recommend picking up a box of trash-compactor bags as pack liners.  If you're serious about hiking, you will hike in some bad weather and these are the best (and cheapest) options to keep all your critical gear dry.

Outside of extreme elevations or consistently sub-freezing temps, a simple iso-butane or alcohol stove will work and if you're meals are mostly instant, all you'll need is something simple to boil water.  Food can vary widely based on what you like, but we typically get creative for on-trail snacking or lunches and either use freeze-dried or home-made dehydrated meals for dinner.  For our longer hikes, we actually snack for breakfast and maybe make a hot drink after we'll be hiking to warm up in the morning.  I love oatmeal in the morning if we have time.  Peanut butter is a great snack along with simple flour tortillas.  Even as a self-proclaimed lightweight hiker, I also season up a large steak for the first night if we can make an open fire.  As mentioned, a good planning factor is about 1-2 pounds of food per day.

We pack our food in a dry-bag (roll top with a small d-ring; Outdoor Research or Sea-to-Summit).  Size depends on how many days we're hiking.  Add a length (50-60 feet) of spectra cord with a small rock for hanging your food/bear bag.

I have over a dozen water filters, most are Katadyn.  My wife and I both use the much more inexpensive Sawyer Mini filter as they are just very versatile.  I always add a back up (currently the Aqua Mira two-bottle solution mix for purification).  I just pack two of the 2-liter squeeze bags which can also be set up for gravity filtering.  Additionally, I carry a 1-liter Smart Water bottle; cheap and effective. I already have a small pot for boiling water if needed, so I try and keep my water kit weight down.  

A little trick with the Sawyer Mini when using the "squeeze pouches" is make a small scoop or cup to transfer water.  Many of the seasonal springs can be just a shallow puddle, so the cup aides in scooping up water and transferring into the squeeze pouch (picture is with the slightly larger/heavier Sawyer Squeeze filter):

Depending on water sources where you hike, I absolutely love Sea-to-Summit's folding bucket.  My wife and I both have the 10-liter version and just roll it up and secure it with a small ranger/rubber band.  When water sources or the springs are a quarter mile or so away, this really helps transport water.

Some people cut weight by avoiding a hydration bladder.  I actually like a hydration bladder only because it's more convenient to stay hydrated when on the move.  I've tried just water bottles, and had to stop to access and dink, both my wife an I just found it easier with the bladders and accept the 8-10 extra ounces.  I use either the 2-L or 3-L Osprey hydration bladders...I just like the design.  I know some hikers like to connect their Sawyer Mini for an in-line filter with their bladder.  I just don't like adding non-potable water to my bladders because they can be a pain to keep clean even with purified water.

Cooking kit doesn't have to be elaborate.  I just have a small pot (titanium), my favorite Spork and a Sea-to-Summit collapsible mug. If the pot has a "cup lid", it can be used for a bowl for some meals like oatmeal but most freeze dried meals can be eaten right from the bag.  I do like having a pot that I can place over an open fire or on hot coals to boil water as a backup.  I've seen some hikers have their alcohol fuel spill out inside their pack or damage the connector on their iso-butane fuel canister.  

Hiking poles are a worthy investment. I won't even day-hike without my hiking poles (Leki, Exped, Black Diamond are all solid brands).

I have a real small hygiene kit: mini bottle of Dr. Bronners soap (smaller than an eye dropper and good for 7-10 days), mini tube of toothpaste, collapsible toothbrush, small 1-ounce hand-sanitizer and a small combo of fingernail clippers and Sliver Gripper tweezers.

FAK.  First aid kit is highly dependent on the individual, but outside of specific personal needs, anything the ".5 or .7" kits by Adventure Medical, you're packing too much.  I like these as a starter and than update with what personally like.  I carry individual meds in mini-Ziploc bags (mostly Advil, Benadryl, Imodium and some antacids).  There are plenty of other posts on backpacking med-kits, but the Adventure Medical kits are good starters unless you already know what you typically use or need.

Bandanas are always a good addition.  I'm not gay, but I really like silk cowboy-bandanas; simply lightweight silk that are roughly 40" square.  They get used for everything, even a towel, washrag sweat rag, pre-filter, etc.  I recently added a wash-cloth sized pack towel...very absorbent and works great as a mini-towel and can help get condensation off your rain fly before packing

Lastly, add a small notebook and a pencil/pen.  Asses and take notes on your kit everyday and find out what really gets used or not.  Once you get serious about cutting weight, make a spreadsheet and use a postal scale to weigh everything...this is by far the most eye-opening way to cut weight and decide what is essential and what are acceptable comfort items.

My three-season base pack weight is down to 16 pounds (minus water, fuel and food).  Seasonal weights differ, even though my hammock set up is heavier than my tent, I often require more bulk/weight for insulation when I use a tent.  I typically try to maintain about 2-3 liters of water while hiking and with 7-days of food and fuel, I my pack weight is about 28-29 pounds; my goal is to keep it under 30 pounds total.  I do add some weight with my HPG Kit Bag for my "emergency kit" and pistol which adds and additional 3-4 pounds on my chest and overall carried weight.

My cold weather bottom layers (wool long underwear, REI soft-shell convertible pants and eVent rain pants):

My cooler weather top layers (fleece replaced by dri-down, hooded jacket) and for colder temps, I'll take my soft shell jacket (ECWCS gen3):

Hope that helps...

ROCK6

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Lots of great advice.  Since you're close to Atlanta, do hit the REI.  They have stuff to fill a pack if you don't and you can get fitted and walk around the store for a while to test out.  Gregory and Osprey are two of the better brands off the shelf for comfort.

Your budget has a lot to do with pack weight, but many have mentioned a few extra pounds will save you a lot of money and you don't need to invest the higher end stuff to get started.  I much prefer dri-down for may bag due to compression and weight, however, you can save $200-300 with a very functional synthetic bag which only adds a little extra bulk and weight.  Advice about synthetic bags is good as they are more forgiving.  Down bags require a little more attention and I wouldn't recommend them until you start getting serious about doing lengthy distance hikes.

Good footwear is essential, but a very personal choice.  I'm moving more towards minimalist foot wear, but I still like some ankle support even if for psychological reasons.  I've preferred Merrell and Vivobarefoot.  Unless you're doing expedition mountaineering, don't go for the overly-built, heavy hikers.  REI will always insist the heaviest boots for "ankle support", but if you keep your pack weight reasonable and you're not hiking scree all day, you can get by with lighter-weight trail hikers.

Not sure if you've found a shelter, but they are a lot like sleeping bags.  Cheaper, functional tents can be a good budget and still provide performance but with the penalty of weight and bulk.  On the low end, I picked up a small solo tent from ALPS that was inexpensive but a very quality tent for 2-3 season use here in the SE.  I have a few higher end Tarptents that are much more compact and weigh less, but price isn't the advantage.  

Regardless of your tent choice, tent maintenance is essential...making sure your fly is water-proofed properly is a must and even a simple Tyvek footprint will extend the life of your tent floor.  I only use tents during the winter; 8-10 month out of the year, I choose a hammock...just my choice for comfort.

Clothing is a good investment and you should focus on layers.  We hike mostly in North GA and have been doing AT section hikes (currently up to the Smoky's); my wife did a 115 miles this past summer (I joined her for the last 60 miles).  I just have one set of clothes, but layers allow me to keep my "sleep" clothes clean and dry and layer according to weather or maintain thermo-regulation.  Even for short trips, I always pack at least an extra pair of wool socks to rotate and one pair dedicated to sleeping or emergencies.  Don't skimp on quality socks...these are a very good investment.

Quality synthetic hiking pants are my preference; convertibles are extra nice as I heat up on longer hikes even in 30-40 degree temps.  If weather is really going to be wet, I have some eVent rain pants, but I always pack a good rain jacket (OR Helium).  I'm another advocate of Ex Officio underwear...on the high end and for cooler weather Merino wool is another good option.  

For most ranges of temps in the SE, I wear a light weight T-shirt (either synthetic or lightweight wool).  For me, the best layering top is a synthetic button-up, long sleeve shirt.  I like Craghoppers, but they allow me to layer when it's cold or wear solo if my T-shirt is soaked.  Being synthetic helps it to dry quickly and the button front and roll-up sleeves allow me to adjust to temp changes and regulate body heat.

There are numerous mid-layers to choose from.  My primary is a Sierra-Designs dir-down jacket.  Like a down bag, it requires more care, but nothing warms you up fast than down and they are tops for weight and minimal bulk.  I prefer having a hooded option and thumb holes are excellent if you're wearing an outer shell.

My "sleep" and augmenting layering options are pretty much the same but material changes with seasons.  Outside of local summer hikes, if I'm in and around the mountains (even in the SE), I pack a lightweight wool hoodie (Icebreaker). My bottoms are either Polartec silk-weight or lightweight wool long johns.  These can be worn as a base layer and added to my hiking pants with rain shell for really cold temps.  I can also wear them solo or with the rain pants if my hiking pants get soaked during river crossing (or accidental fall in the water).  

I pack 2-3 extra pair of socks and for longer trips, I'll add an extra pair of underwear.  Those Ex Officio briefs can actually be washed and dried out quickly, but a fresh set of underwear and socks are bliss on longer hikes, even if saved for the last day.

Again, more for caution, I almost always pack a fleece watch cap and lightweight wool or synthetic glove liners.

Just some random thoughts on other gear:

I do have a more expensive Exped sleeping pad that I love, but a cheaper Z-Rest (if you don't mind attaching externally) is a good choice to get started.  I actually pack a section (six sections) of a Z-Rest folded up and against my back in my pack.  Adds enough insulation in my hammock for the summer and extra to my inflatable sleeping pad when using a tent during colder trips.

I do have a nice cuben-fiber rain cover, but highly recommend picking up a box of trash-compactor bags as pack liners.  If you're serious about hiking, you will hike in some bad weather and these are the best (and cheapest) options to keep all your critical gear dry.

Outside of extreme elevations or consistently sub-freezing temps, a simple iso-butane or alcohol stove will work and if you're meals are mostly instant, all you'll need is something simple to boil water.  Food can vary widely based on what you like, but we typically get creative for on-trail snacking or lunches and either use freeze-dried or home-made dehydrated meals for dinner.  For our longer hikes, we actually snack for breakfast and maybe make a hot drink after we'll be hiking to warm up in the morning.  I love oatmeal in the morning if we have time.  Peanut butter is a great snack along with simple flour tortillas.  Even as a self-proclaimed lightweight hiker, I also season up a large steak for the first night if we can make an open fire.  As mentioned, a good planning factor is about 1-2 pounds of food per day.

We pack our food in a dry-bag (roll top with a small d-ring; Outdoor Research or Sea-to-Summit).  Size depends on how many days we're hiking.  Add a length (50-60 feet) of spectra cord with a small rock for hanging your food/bear bag.

I have over a dozen water filters, most are Katadyn.  My wife and I both use the much more inexpensive Sawyer Mini filter as they are just very versatile.  I always add a back up (currently the Aqua Mira two-bottle solution mix for purification).  I just pack two of the 2-liter squeeze bags which can also be set up for gravity filtering.  Additionally, I carry a 1-liter Smart Water bottle; cheap and effective. I already have a small pot for boiling water if needed, so I try and keep my water kit weight down.  

A little trick with the Sawyer Mini when using the "squeeze pouches" is make a small scoop or cup to transfer water.  Many of the seasonal springs can be just a shallow puddle, so the cup aides in scooping up water and transferring into the squeeze pouch (picture is with the slightly larger/heavier Sawyer Squeeze filter):

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF6316_zps7069f8a6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF6316_zps7069f8a6.jpg</a>

Depending on water sources where you hike, I absolutely love Sea-to-Summit's folding bucket.  My wife and I both have the 10-liter version and just roll it up and secure it with a small ranger/rubber band.  When water sources or the springs are a quarter mile or so away, this really helps transport water.

Some people cut weight by avoiding a hydration bladder.  I actually like a hydration bladder only because it's more convenient to stay hydrated when on the move.  I've tried just water bottles, and had to stop to access and dink, both my wife an I just found it easier with the bladders and accept the 8-10 extra ounces.  I use either the 2-L or 3-L Osprey hydration bladders...I just like the design.  I know some hikers like to connect their Sawyer Mini for an in-line filter with their bladder.  I just don't like adding non-potable water to my bladders because they can be a pain to keep clean even with purified water.

Cooking kit doesn't have to be elaborate.  I just have a small pot (titanium), my favorite Spork and a Sea-to-Summit collapsible mug. If the pot has a "cup lid", it can be used for a bowl for some meals like oatmeal but most freeze dried meals can be eaten right from the bag.  I do like having a pot that I can place over an open fire or on hot coals to boil water as a backup.  I've seen some hikers have their alcohol fuel spill out inside their pack or damage the connector on their iso-butane fuel canister.  

Hiking poles are a worthy investment. I won't even day-hike without my hiking poles (Leki, Exped, Black Diamond are all solid brands).

I have a real small hygiene kit: mini bottle of Dr. Bronners soap (smaller than an eye dropper and good for 7-10 days), mini tube of toothpaste, collapsible toothbrush, small 1-ounce hand-sanitizer and a small combo of fingernail clippers and Sliver Gripper tweezers.

FAK.  First aid kit is highly dependent on the individual, but outside of specific personal needs, anything the ".5 or .7" kits by Adventure Medical, you're packing too much.  I like these as a starter and than update with what personally like.  I carry individual meds in mini-Ziploc bags (mostly Advil, Benadryl, Imodium and some antacids).  There are plenty of other posts on backpacking med-kits, but the Adventure Medical kits are good starters unless you already know what you typically use or need.

Bandanas are always a good addition.  I'm not gay, but I really like silk cowboy-bandanas; simply lightweight silk that are roughly 40" square.  They get used for everything, even a towel, washrag sweat rag, pre-filter, etc.  I recently added a wash-cloth sized pack towel...very absorbent and works great as a mini-towel and can help get condensation off your rain fly before packing

Lastly, add a small notebook and a pencil/pen.  Asses and take notes on your kit everyday and find out what really gets used or not.  Once you get serious about cutting weight, make a spreadsheet and use a postal scale to weigh everything...this is by far the most eye-opening way to cut weight and decide what is essential and what are acceptable comfort items.

My three-season base pack weight is down to 16 pounds (minus water, fuel and food).  Seasonal weights differ, even though my hammock set up is heavier than my tent, I often require more bulk/weight for insulation when I use a tent.  I typically try to maintain about 2-3 liters of water while hiking and with 7-days of food and fuel, I my pack weight is about 28-29 pounds; my goal is to keep it under 30 pounds total.  I do add some weight with my HPG Kit Bag for my "emergency kit" and pistol which adds and additional 3-4 pounds on my chest and overall carried weight.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Backpacking%20Gear/IMAG0107_BURST002_COVER_zps910319bd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Backpacking%20Gear/IMAG0107_BURST002_COVER_zps910319bd.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF6201_zpsf50b1870.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF6201_zpsf50b1870.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF6312_zpsab6554b5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF6312_zpsab6554b5.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF6298_zps05322e3b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF6298_zps05322e3b.jpg</a>

My cold weather bottom layers (wool long underwear, REI soft-shell convertible pants and eVent rain pants):

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF6046_zpsff0e110c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF6046_zpsff0e110c.jpg</a>

My cooler weather top layers (fleece replaced by dri-down, hooded jacket) and for colder temps, I'll take my soft shell jacket (ECWCS gen3):

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF6050_zpsc5bb8e76.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF6050_zpsc5bb8e76.jpg</a>

Hope that helps...

ROCK6

View Quote

Rock, that is great stuff! I appreciate your help. Trying to make it to REI soon in Atlanta.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top