Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2014 12:59:27 PM EDT
I'm looking at heading up to TN, NC, VA to do some hiking over my spring break in mid-March. I'd like to find a loop hike that would have me on the trail for 3-4 nights. I'd love to hike some of the AT, but then there is the issue of getting back to my car. I have experience backpacking in the Rockies, but not on the east coast. Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is one I used to do often:

http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/RamseysDraft/
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Lynchburg, VA, so everything I do is in the Central VA section of the trail.

Ramsey's Draft is a good area, but a little short for 3-4 nights. Some places to look at.

Grayson Highlands in the southern part of VA has a whole bunch of trails that you can make a really good loop out of. Mount Rogers is there, and that's the highest point in VA. Cool place.

My favorite section of the trail is right by Roanoke, the area from Dragons Tooth to Tinker Cliffs is awesome. There's an outdoor store right by the trailhead in Troutville called Outdoor Trails, you can park your car in their parking lot, and pay about $30 for a hiker shuttle to the Dragons Tooth parking lot, and then hike back to your car NOBO on the AT. I think it's 27 or 30 Miles total. Only issue is water is slightly scarce on that section of the trail, and the creek at Lambert's Meadow shelter is confirmed to have giardia in it.

I've hiked the section from VA 60 up to Reed's Gap, it's fun, but full of hills. If you go from the 60 parking lot to Dripping Rock on the Blue Ridge Parkway, you're looking at 43 miles. Only downside is there's no way to make it a loop, so you'll need to either do an out-and-back, or bring two vehicles. But it's an awesome hike. Be prepared to hike though. It's got something like 12,000 feet of elevation gain/loss.

Other places to look:

The VA 501 trailhead is nice and accessible, but not matter which way you go, you're going up, since it sits in a river valley. Going NOBO you hit Big Rocky Row, and the Punchbowl, which is cool, going SOBO you get to Pettits Gap and Apple Orchard Falls.

If you're looking for a loop, go to Grayson. If you're ok with paying for a shuttle, go do Tinker/Macafee, because I'll say it's the best section of trail in VA.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#3]
We've been hiking section of the AT and are now up in NC.  I do want to do this hike, which is a loop near the terminus at Springer Mountain, it's the Benton MacKaye, Duncan Ridge, AT loop:

Georgia loop trail

It's a little more challenging, but only 55 miles.  It may be a little more than 3-4 days depending on your pace.

A little shorter one is the Standing Indian Loop in NC:

Standing Indian Loop

This is only about 20 miles; Albert Mountain (we were traveling North), was a short hike, but a real bitch.  There are some excellent views if the weather is clear.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]
check out the Joyce Kilmer Memorial forest.

pretty cool old growth forest.

clown
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input guys, after looking into it more I may have to take VA out of the mix because of time constraints. Anyone have experience in Smokey Mountain N.P. it looks like they have a good trail network and many sites/shelters to set up a multi-day loop. Also whats the weather like that time of year?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Shinning Rock Wilderness has some really good trails that you can form your own loops.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little shorter one is the Standing Indian Loop in NC:

Standing Indian Loop

This is only about 20 miles; Albert Mountain (we were traveling North), was a short hike, but a real bitch.  There are some excellent views if the weather is clear.

ROCK6
View Quote

This is a good little hike. Albert is a good climb south to north but the view is cool if you can get onto the tower.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the input guys, after looking into it more I may have to take VA out of the mix because of time constraints. Anyone have experience in Smokey Mountain N.P. it looks like they have a good trail network and many sites/shelters to set up a multi-day loop. Also whats the weather like that time of year?
View Quote
Smokies will be cold, but probably not bad. You'll be up between 5500 and 6K in elevation, so you'll probably run into snow, maybe some ice, and nighttime temperatures will be cold, possibly in the low teens. There may be ice on the trail, but you should be able to mitigate that with a good pair of trekking poles and some microspikes.

The downsides of the smokies is that it's a national park, which means two things: one, there are bears there. Like, lots of bears, so you have to be super anal about proper food storage. Two, it's a national park, so you have all the permitting garbage to deal with. To hike in the smokies requires a backcountry permit, and you are required to carry a bear canister, and you have to pre-schedule your time in the shelters. You're only allowed to camp in shelters, and have to make a reservation before hand.

If you get a jump on that now, you should be good, but don't wait too much longer or you're going to get screwed.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget that with the Smokies you also have to stay in the shelter. You can't tent/hammock around it. You also have to stay at the shelter on your reservation. If you get there and feel like moving on you're SOL.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The correct answer is the Joyce Kilmer National Forest.  There are a number of loops that could be done in 3-4 days.  Right on the TN, NC border.  If you've never hiked in an old growth forest, now is your time.  

If you go in the summer, be careful of the ground hornets.  

ETA, mid-March will be cold at night but comfortable during the day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top