Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2014 1:12:49 AM EDT
Are they worth a damn?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:27:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking about taking their orienteering class for a while, so I'm tagging this.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#2]
It depends on which REI.  I've been to a couple of classes that were very introductory at the local REI and very comprehensive at a out of town REI.  The classes used to be free for members but I believe they are charging for some classes now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of the classes are now $60-$80.   Which I think is horseshit.  There is a basic outdoors class that is held at a local park.  Really?  You are gonna charge $60 to tell me how to wear my backpack or which jacket is good for light rain?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've been thinking about taking their orienteering class for a while, so I'm tagging this.
View Quote

That's one of the classes I am looking at.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I took some ice climbing lessons from EMS and the instructor was a dumbass and unsafe.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I took some ice climbing lessons from EMS and the instructor was a dumbass and unsafe.
View Quote

I took a rock climbing class from them in North Conway back when their instructors were legendary climbers.  I had three days with Jimmy Dunn, the first guy to solo El Capitan.  Now I hear that most of the instructors are just dork gearheads.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I took a rock climbing class from them in North Conway back when their instructors were legendary climbers.  I had three days with Jimmy Dunn, the first guy to solo El Capitan.  Now I hear that most of the instructors are just dork gearheads.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was back in the early 90s also at north conway.

I took 1 on 1 ice climbing lessons. First day out was on a 150 foot slab at about 45 degrees to practice some moves. I wanted to be roped, instructor said not necessary.

I had been on snow 2 days in the Sierra and a friend had showed me how to self arrest before we started climbing and I practiced a few times on a snow field.

about 2 hours into the lesson, I slipped. Fell head first on my back headed toward the 3 foot level patch 120 feet below me that then transitioned to a 40 foot vertical drop. I was able to turn over, keep my feet off the ice and plant an axe in the ice to turn around and then dug for all I was worth. I came to a stop with most of  my body hanging over the 40 foot vertical drop and my axe 6 inches prior to  the vertical drop. I looked up at the instructor and he was speechless and the blood had drained from his face. I looked at him and said " I'lll bet you were wishing we had roped up huh?". He had to lower  another axe to me so I could climb back up off the vertical drop

After that we roped up and I moved on in the next few days to vertical water falls and loved it.

I do not remember the instructors name.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Went to a REI class on knot tying while I was getting into rappelling...the instructor was not at all impressive. I knew all the few knots he shared with the class of four people. Don't waste your $'s unless you know the instructor is a good one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Used to be free for members now you just get a discount, and a paltry $20 discount at that. Have you checked with some of the ranger stations in parks near you? They sometimes offer things of this nature.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top