Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2014 5:07:37 PM EDT
OK, kind of playing around with this reenactment thing.  Used to very occasionally puff on an old briar pipe with Captain Black, but got tired of getting my tongue burned with all the moisture.  Have picked up one of the old reed stemmed clay pipes and am looking for a mild cool type smoke.  Anyone have a suggestion for what you like while sitting around the campfire at night?  

One of these is my little (fragilie) pipe.

Doc
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Recommending a tobacco is hard to do.

I like an English blend with a heavy dose of Latakia. My go to of late has been L.J. Peretti's Omega. But your tastes may be entirely different.

If you're getting tongue burn, try drying out the Captain Black a bit. Set it out in a bowl overnight. Then when you smoke, don't puff so hard. Relights aren't a big deal. Better to have to relight than to have a burned tongue.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Can never go wrong with Lane 1Q.

Easy smoke, smells great. It's my favorite baccy.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Humidor  

It says cigars, but they will help you with your pipe too.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually like something like Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake, or the plug form (Cannon Plug).
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:38:05 AM EDT
[#5]
dover court from Davids briar shoppe..
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Skoal long cut straight.. Nothing beats a good chew and a fire..
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Got to playing around with some old "hair on" leather that I had laying around and made this little pouch for my woods bummin pack.  

A couple of rainy evenings.

Made it like a big trifold wallet.  Top pouch holds the pipe cleaners, middle pouch holds the tobacco, bottom pouch holds the pipe with small pouches for the accoutrements.  Lighter, pipe mulit tool, and Stag pipe tamp.

Here it is all buttoned up.  

Doc
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not into the pipe thing but I'll puff on an Ashton or a Ghurka around the fire with a couple of cold ones
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top