[#1]
been happy with my nikon ATB's.

10x42.had them awhile.

thought they were worth more than the $300

i gave for them.

clown

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I hunt deer in thick forest, bogs, mixed hardwoods and almost always less than optimal light.

I usually go with my Zeiss 7x42 B/GATs.

Quality glass pays dividends.  You can get a good pair of binos for less than $500, though.  The Vortex Viper line is quite good, for instance.

The generic answer for size is "8x40s".  They reason is they have enough power to be useful, good exit pupil for low light, and are easy to hold steady.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I am an avid bird watcher. So detail is critical. I use Swarovski 8.5x42 EL Swarovision. Damn expensive, but outstanding. I also have some old Nikon Venture LX binds that are outstanding but heavy. The new LXLs I am not too impressed with.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am an avid bird watcher. So detail is critical. I use Swarovski 8.5x42 EL Swarovision. Damn expensive, but outstanding. I also have some old Nikon Venture LX binds that are outstanding but heavy. The new LXLs I am not too impressed with.
View Quote

Don't know of any bino better than these.  Have a pair and love them.  Incredible light capture!
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Nikon Monarch.

It's the best glass for the money.  If I had deeper pockets, I'd have higher end glass. But quality product at a reasonable price with lifetime warranty is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Brunton monocular for it's super light weight and small size and a set of Steiner Predator pro extreme 8x22
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I have some Meade 12x25 that I use for work, they have been all over the country and serve me well

for more "tactical" operations, I have some IOR 10x50's, armored, filters, range finding reticles, etc....
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Vortex Diamondback 8x42
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
12x50's
16x50's
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#10]
For goofing around while out in the woods I got an inexpensive waterproof Vortex 10x25 monocular for $55. It's no where as good a a regular set of binoculars but it's small and cheap. It all depends what you use the optic for.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have the room and can manage the extra weight, a spotting scope simply outshines any binocular when it comes to magnification.

I picked this unit up on clearance and I love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Meade-81015-Spotting-Scope-Black/dp/B00867EDCK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=06YB74FVEDW7HN12V89H

20-60x zoom with a 60mm objective!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Swarovski Habich 10x42 for hunting, birding, or any serious/critical/extended use.  There's a set of cheap Nikon 7x50 roof prism glasses hanging off the passenger headrest in my truck, adequate for a quick glance at something distant, but you'd prefer an honest migraine to using these for more  than a few minutes. For light-duty,short-term use such as while traveling and sightseeing, a tiny, cigarette-pack-sized set of Swarovski compact 8x20's fills the bill, with performance of much greater proportion than its diminutive size ---another example of getting even a little more than you pay for with high end optics. And,in my "tactical" attache case, there's a tiny Zeiss monocular, not much larger than a fountain pen, which has paid for itself when no other optic was at hand, and, because, like some travelers described to Dorothy by the Scarecrow, it "goes both ways", i.e., it serves as both a tiny telescope, and also, a miniature magnifier.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#13]
During the First Gulf War got issued a set of Steiner Military 8x30s which are rugged, weigh 1 lb and fit inside my cargo pocket.  Liked them enough that I bought my own set.  They are still around $200 online.  I've used mine around the world in all types of enviroments.

CD
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I have several binocs of various make and power, a couple 10x and a 7x and one NC Star $15 12x monocular. I like them all and the best part is I only had to pay $15 for the monocular, the rest I got from family members that didn't want them any more. I keep one pair of binocs in each POV and one in my room which faces the back yard and beyond.

If you're not too picky, you can look at antique stores and pawn shops and find some for $20-40.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a small desire for some Steiner possibly 8-30 I am interested in as good as for less or about the same.  I understand having the one at hand being the best one, but I am not planning on buying a monocular.  I have been warned to not get ones that are too heavy and I am sensitive to headaches so desire to avoid those.  I do have a spotting scope up 75 magnification, I need a good knock around light enough pair.
thank you all for your help and keep the info coming
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#16]
As others have said the Monarchs and the vortex are really good for the money.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I have Swarovski 8.5x42 ELs.  I looked through all the top brands before buying.  To my eyes the Leicas and Swarovskis were tops.  Bought them grey market, no USA warranty but I believe they are covered if I send them overseas.  I've had them 8-10 years.  Paid $1100 for them versus $1700 or so at the time.   They are in my daypack every time I go deer hunting which is most days in November, some in October, December, and January.  I still marvel at the detail and clarity of these binos.  I can see in the dark with them.  I remember one time while bowhunting before I came out of my tree stand in the evening when it was dark to my eyes, I heard a stick crack and brought my binos up and saw a nice 8 point with them.  Since I mostly stand hunt I use them primarily for watching deer and other wildlife.  Once when I was still hunting a ridge that had several small drop offs where you could view what was on the next drop off with only your head over the drop off I spotted two nice bucks bedded with them.  I got the largest of the two.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#19]
For long range work I use a Pentax DCF HR II 8X42.(discontinued model)
I actually bought these after reading reviews on several binoculars in a birder publication and these were so highly rated I took the chance.
Very clear.
A top notch optic and much better than my friends Nikon ATB's.
For walk hunting I have a compact great old Nikon 7x20 ( discontinued model) that was bought for me back around 1992.
Weighs maybe seven ounces.
A very clear and useful Binocular.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Steiners
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Steiners
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top