Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 9:24:09 AM EDT
I have a 1yro husqvarna and just inherited my dads 20+yro Stihl.

The husqvarna is small, the Stihl is medium sized.

The Stihl has seen some good use over the years. The husqvarna 3 or 4 times.

Stihl obviously is sentimental.

Assuming both run good, which to keep?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Both.

So when you eventually get one hung in a tree, you can cut it out with the other.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Stihl
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Stihl, hands down.  Husky is Ok, but you also have a Stihl.   I would keep them both.  A used Husqvarna doesn't bring a lot of cash, might as well keep it too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Both.  If you cut enough, eventually you'll hit a nail buried in the wood or cut dirty wood that has been laying on the ground and dull your chain rapidly.  Nothing is quicker than a back up chainsaw, a second chain is a close second, but as the poster above said, it doesn't help when you wedge a bar in a cut.

For me, I find it is nice to have a beater saw to loan out, while keeping my bigger more expensive saws for personal use only.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Guess I'll go fire up the Stihl and make sure it still runs good and sell or gift the Husk to someone.

I don't use them enough to have 2, nor do I really have the storage for it.

Just wanted to make sure keeping a 20yro chainsaw would be better than keeping the almost brand new one.

J
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#6]
How small is small?  And what kinda lumber do you see around your area?

If you're only going to keep one, and the small, new one is adequate for your AO, then I'd keep that.

They're both quality brands, and I'd keep both if I could, but I'm guessing in Texas you're not in an area where a 16" saw won't do everything you want of it.

If you are going to give it away, then give it to someone where you know you can get it back if you need it. I've got a Poulan (my car-camping saw) that I've barely seen in the last year, it's been loaned out. I did see it last week, the loanee brought it on our camping trip, but he took it back with him.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, found out it's an echo cs5000 in a Stihl case.

Echo vs husky 440.

So older Echo 50cc vs almost new Husq 40cc.. Both have the same bar length.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#8]
would keep them both may find one wont start and the other will someday when you need it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
would keep them both may find one wont start and the other will someday when you need it.
View Quote

I don't really have the room for 2 saws. I'll probably use the one I have maybe 1-2x per year, so it's going to be a battle to keep it healthy anyway, much less keep two saws running.

Decided to give the Echo to my Brother in Law.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you already give the Echo to your brother-in-law?, Although both Stihl and Husqvarna have a solid reputation, there is a huge difference between their homeowner grade saws and their pro saws. Which model of saw are you keeping? Echo is actually a good product, just not as well known, and depending on the models, might be the better choice to hang on to.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Both.

So when you eventually get one hung in a tree, you can cut it out with the other.
View Quote

LOL, once had TWO saws stuck in a tree and had to grab an axe.(Couldn't get the third one started, or would've probably hung that one too!)
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#12]

You might think about changing the fuel line on the 20 yr old saw. They didn't have to worry about AL in the fuel then.

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

LOL, once had TWO saws stuck in a tree and had to grab an axe.(Couldn't get the third one started, or would've probably hung that one too!)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both.

Hate it when that happens!! Luckily my dad is an old school logger and can usually fix my hang ups.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top