Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2014 6:00:09 PM EDT
They will help a lot when carrying the youngster in the backpack on hikes.  Any essential feature?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Leki.

They will save your knees.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Carbide tips!

Seriously.  They'll bite into rock and hold tight, even at bad angles.

Also, get ones with cam-locks, NOT the twist locks.  The twist locks will (not may) fail you when you need them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Carbide tips!

Seriously.  They'll bit into rock and hold tight, even at bad angles.

Also, get ones with cam-locks, NOT the twist locks.  The twist locks will (not may) fail you when you need them.
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  The Black Diamond flick lock poles will not collapse on you ever.

spf

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Good advice. I thought they were all twist and worried about that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got some aluminum Exped poles.  There’s a twist lock for one section, but the other two are spring-bearings that lock.  They have close to a couple hundred trail miles on them and have held up well.  I bought my son a pair of Leki carbon fiber poles and they are lighter, but he’s already snapped the bottom section (replacement sent by Leki).  I’m still not convinced on the durability of the carbon fiber poles.  Carbide tips are a must if you’re around rocky areas; they really stick well.

Do buy a quality pair.  If you use them a lot, they will need that reputation.  I rely heavily on mine, especially for hikes with serious elevation changes.  

Hiking poles also make quick support for improvised shelters.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife and I both have komperdell poles and they are fantastic.  Anti shock, cork handles, carbide tips with baskets for loose stuff.  They are twist lock but there is no way it's going to fail on you. It's a very robust mechanism.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 1:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I use Black Diamond Synclines for snowshoeing and love them. As said earlier, the "Flick Lock" cam locks don't slip, and I've put a LOT of my body weight on them while climbing and descending. I haven't done much hiking since getting them a few years ago, but will use 1 when I finally get back into it. They come with carbide tips, and trekking & powder baskets, but are only 2 section so if you need something ultra-compact they may not be what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:30:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Leki.

They will save your knees.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:36:53 AM EDT
[#10]
The only ones I have used came from Costco.  They are some composite fiber material with carbide tips and survived 100+ miles at Philmont and cost less than $50.  They help the knees of the aging hiker, but I was always bothered by having my hands filled.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Flicklock, as has already been reiterated and reiterated.... and WOMEN'S models- unless you're like 6'4", the women's models are more compact and lighter. The more flowers and pink and powder blue on the shafts the better.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:33:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I work at an outdoor store. We only stock Leki for a reason

Some small things that will make your life easier:

Get cork or smooth plastic handles. Leki makes these weird fuzzy handles that get hot and gross fast. I really like the cork.

The hand straps are not like ski poles, they're actually designed to support part of your weight. Look up how to use the hand straps online.

Don't get carbon fiber. The weight savings is awesome if you're through-hiking the AT or the PCT, but carbon fiber isn't as robust as aluminum, so it will break down. There's a reason aluminum poles from Leki have a lifetime warranty, and CF only has a two year one.

Spend the extra cash and get a set that has the shock absorbing system in them. Also, make sure to  get a variety of different tips. Lots of people will buy a set of trekking poles, and leave the same tips on them for ever. Have a set of tips for mud, rock, etc.

Know how and when to adjust them. You'll want them shorter on the uphill, and longer on the downhill.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I work at an outdoor store. We only stock Leki for a reason

Some small things that will make your life easier:

Get cork or smooth plastic handles. Leki makes these weird fuzzy handles that get hot and gross fast. I really like the cork.

The hand straps are not like ski poles, they're actually designed to support part of your weight. Look up how to use the hand straps online.

Don't get carbon fiber. The weight savings is awesome if you're through-hiking the AT or the PCT, but carbon fiber isn't as robust as aluminum, so it will break down. There's a reason aluminum poles from Leki have a lifetime warranty, and CF only has a two year one.

Spend the extra cash and get a set that has the shock absorbing system in them. Also, make sure to  get a variety of different tips. Lots of people will buy a set of trekking poles, and leave the same tips on them for ever. Have a set of tips for mud, rock, etc.

Know how and when to adjust them. You'll want them shorter on the uphill, and longer on the downhill.
View Quote

Went to REI and tried some out.  I liked the Black Diamond carbon because of the weight.  Thanks for the info on Carbon vs. Al.  Leki was my second choice.  

Probably get some soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top