User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
With the purchase of the JKU mentioned above,
I want to add a winch, but I am having a tough
time justifying the cost of a 12,000 lb Warn. Any
suggestions on a decent lower budget winch?

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
12000lbs is overkill on a JKU for the most part but if you want a budget winch the Harbor Freight winches (and similar Chinese winches under different branding) seem to get decent reviews from what I read on other forums.  They're slow but I've seen pictures posted of them doing what they're supposed to.  Personally I'm leery of them because I travel alone a lot, my Warn gives me piece of mind although I've heard people say their quality has gone down as well, especially since they were sold.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 9:43:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Johnny_C] [#3]
I guess I was doubling the curb weight for a
decent safety factor and I have apparently
jumped to the next pull weight grouping.

I have been looking at the Traveler's, and
just now did have a chance to look at the
reviews. Most people seem to be happy with
them, and they are pretty affordable.

That said, I want my winch to work, when I
need it, so that's why  was asking.

But I would like a synthetic rope.

I just found this. For another $100, I am
good for the rope. Good reviews for this
one, as well.

Smitty Built

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
It was like 'wheeling a big, comfy couch with a really good turning radius.

Owned it from 1998 thru 2017.  Rust finally took it.  It was a 94, 302, BW1356, E4OD, 4.56 gears, Auburn posi rear, detroit trutrac front, 4" skyjacker with extended radius arms and new rear leaf springs, added the quad shock mounts in the front.  I wheeled it for a couple years before lifting it, and even so, only went with 33" tires.  Remarkably capable for being so heavy.  But, the torque was strong in low range, and I often was on trails in 2nd gear.  Had those wheels and tires for offroad, AT's for the street/snow.

Also owned an 02 WJ 4.7 NV-242, and my wife had an 03 WJ 4.7 HO NV-247 (with 3 variable lockers).  Sill have a 94 ZJ 4.0 NV242 (used to have an NV249).  We also have two WK2's, hers is a 14 3.6 single speed t-case, mine's a 16 5.7 with the q-drive t-case and rear locker.  (Also an 05 SRT-4, but that's just for summertime.)
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 6:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Raptor22] [#6]
Spammer
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top